i know im a noob

lcpleel

Limp Gawd
:( i know that im a noob but i cant seem to understand why s939 is more $$$ than am2.
can anyone explain what the great thing about 939 is?? and honestly what is a better a buy a opty 165 or a x2 4400+.

S939 is older and harder to find nowadays, that's why it cost more. Get a AM2+ or AM3 board instead of a S393 or AM2.

What Diplomacy said. AMD is no longer making socket 939 CPUs so there's less supply. However there's still a demand for these socket 939 CPUs by people who can't or refuse to upgrade to newer/faster parts. So high demand and low supply means higher prices.

How much for the Opty 165 and X2 4400+?

well the thing is im a big shuttle xpc person and with my already 4 Intel ones that i have i wanted to try an amd one, with that i picked up a sn45p shuttle for a good price and was looking to give it a try with water cooling that im making. on average (ebay) people are asking $150 for the X2 4400+, $130.00 for the X2 4200+, $100 for opty 165 and i cant even find an opty 170..... :(

im kind of thinking for that money i could get a q6600 and start a LIAN LI PC-V351B build... grrrr

the x2 4400 and higher are rare and hard to find.. even when they came out they were hard to find.. for example my athlon 64 4000+ socket 754 sells for 150+.. fastest socket 754 processor you could get..best option is to look on craigslist and see if you can find some noob selling a system with a s939 x2 in it for dirt cheap.. thats how i found my 4000+..

I have an old FX-55 that I'd be willing to sell for an offer. Anyone? Never been oc'd...(i know, why buy an FX right?)

the x2 4400 and higher are rare and hard to find.. even when they came out they were hard to find.. for example my athlon 64 4000+ socket 754 sells for 150+.. fastest socket 754 processor you could get..best option is to look on craigslist and see if you can find some noob selling a system with a s939 x2 in it for dirt cheap.. thats how i found my 4000+..

Seriously? I just bought a AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ for $50 off ebay. I definitely agree craiglist is a very valid route. Here an interesting note though. I did not find that $50 deal by using ebay's search or google shopping search ( though I did try those) I simply went to google and searched for "AMN4000BKX5BU site:ebay.com"
Couldn't find the listing any other way.

The X2 4400+ would be better due to larger L2 cache on the CPU and higher base clock 2.2ghz.

I was trying to sell my x2 4200+ s939 and A8N32-SLI here with other stuff, but no one will work with money order, only paypal, damn paypal!

damn I feel even more like a noob.... I just sold my old amd atholon 64 4000+ to my cousin for 2 packs of ciggs.... I could have gotten 3 cartons :(

That CPU was from team NoA days too...

Seriously? I just bought a AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ for $50 off ebay. I definitely agree craiglist is a very valid route. Here an interesting note though. I did not find that $50 deal by using ebay's search or google shopping search ( though I did try those) I simply went to google and searched for "AMN4000BKX5BU site:ebay.com"
Couldn't find the listing any other way.

yeah the mobile 4000+'s are easier to find.. they were using them well after the socket 754 died.. since there was no s939 mobile processor and they didnt switch to the turion until well into the am2 socket generation..

There nice for 939 and not too many people are parting with them if thats what you want. Thats reasonalble if you have everything else ready to go for a 939 system. Just keep it cool if you intend to overclock so it will live nice.

Back