I love the new Ultra-D Bios!

Chix4mat

Gawd
I already showed this to a few people, but I thought I would share it here and see what people thought.

Related Pic

I downloaded a new beta BIOS off Tech Powerup, which added two new mem dividers, 233MHz (7/6) and 250MHz (5/4). Because of this, I was able to push my memory further.

My absolute max before was 285MHz on the memory, but I had a feeling my CPU was the bottleneck, because it was running at 2.85GHz on a stock cooler. Because of the new divider though, I'm running 270 * 10 with 7/6, giving me 315MHz or DDR630. My EVEREST Read went from the previous max of 7280, to 7620, and it is still rock stable.

At any rate, I love the new BIOS. They may have these dividers in other boards.. and they should!

Aye, hehe. It's the PC4000.. but when I have time, I want to test the PC3200 kit again.. I want to see if it *was* the CPU that was the bottleneck. Either way, Ballistix is deadly memory for overclocking.

Why dosent it show your fsb on the memory tab in cpuz? or for that matter anywhere on your computer to comfirm? and why does it say pc2700 dual channel on sanrda?

just curious would like to see it :p

soulsaver_8229

i'm guessing that cpu-z still needs to be updated, and is highly confused by the ram running faster than it should

that said, if the same method of ram speed calcuation holds true (which it should)...

10 * 6 / 7 = 8.57 = 9
270 * 10 / 9 = 300mhz

still quite impressive for ram that nobody really likes :p

agreed, i <3 my two sticks, though i gotta figure out why they're hating cas3 :(

but.. most other people, they go for either tccd or utt. lamers :p : ;)

soulsaver_8229, Yeah.. CPU-Z is confused.. as is any other program. The adverse effects of overclocking. Especially when using dividers they don't know exist.

I just calculated it this way.. and Eclipse may have proved I did it wrong.

FSB is 270 with the multi of 10. I used the 7/6 divider. So..
270HT/6 = 45
45 * 7 = 315MHz

Here is BIOS pic if you want to check it out.

I already have the latest version of CPU-Z, unless there's public betas floating around I could try.

Chix4mat said:
I just calculated it this way.. and Eclipse may have proved I did it wrong.
remember that ram speed is derived from cpu speed with an integer divider that is detirmined by the memory speed limit the bios passes to the cpu and the cpu multiplier

in this case, 10x and 7:6.. the ram divider calcuates out to be 8.57x, but since the bios always rounds up to the nearest integer to make sure the ram isn't accidentilly overclocked from intended settings, the ram divider is 9x..

270 * 10 = 2700 / 9 = 300mhz. i doubt many programs will agree with me though :(

Yeah. I thought I understood it.. I guess I still don't.

Chances are, when CPU-Z is updated, it will agree with me.. my calc app also agrees with me =/

Heading to work shortly.. will have to study what you said later, hehe.

heh, it's cool.. i'd say that there's only like.. 10 people in the entire world who really understand how it all works. i'm definitly NOT one of them, but i pretend to be :D

I have a question. Sort-Of relates to this thread..Will there ever be a BIOS that is different from the Blue/Yellow/Red one's now? Maybe with actual graphic interfaces and stuff? That would be cool. I know you don't NEED it but it still would be a nice little refresher..

It would be possible, yeah. Unlikely it will ever happen though.

It's just much more stable to have the BIOS the way it is. Current BIOS' are quicker than any graphical one would be.

edit: i'm retarted :p

and chix.. you got me convinced to play with my ballistix again :cool:

Back