I need a gaming mouse to replace my MS 3.0

ArbY

Limp Gawd
I'm a huge fan of the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, as pictured:

qx9jdj.jpg

This mouse fits my hand in terms of ergonomics, weight and response as well as I could want. But this mouse is dying. It has problems. I have gone through several of these mice, and the problem is always that the mouse has intermittent tracking. I haven't the slightest idea as to what is causing them to all break down in this way. I think I've had enough. I've purchased four of these mice for myself, and they've all broken in similar fashion. I don't want to purchase another.

I need an alternative. I'm torn as to what I should turn to. I want something to replace my 3.0. I don't just want a new mouse, I want it to replace my 3.0. This mouse is light, I use a low DPI (400) and it has arguably the best shape for any palm.

I was leaning towards a Microsoft Habu, but it seems MS no longer supports that mouse. I was also considering a Razer DeathAdder. But ultimately, I want a slim and lightweight mouse that won't leave me regretting the purchase.

I play two online FPS games competitively. And I'm even playing in an upcoming XPL tournament. Getting the right mouse is essential. I'm not a fan of the Logitech MX518 or G5. Neither do I want to spend a lot of money.

If anyone has transitioned from a 3.0 to a different mouse, that would be perfect if you could tell of your experience.

What mousepad are you using? That could be causing the intermittent tracking problems

just buy another 3.0 u won't find a better mouse. if you must buy a different mouse though, i think you would find a deathadder comfortable.

edit: the mice shouldn't break that often, i have had one 1.1 (same guts) for 7-8 years and never a problem with it.

I use to use MS mice exclusively, the ball mice. I tried a death adder, it was ok but the side buttons do not work in all games with UAC on, I tried a mamba and imperator, both were terrible (they use the same terrible sensor as I understand it), some people like them though. I tried a g9x and it is the best mouse I ever used. The steelseries XAI uses the same sensor as the g9x so it's another option, I get very good cs:s scores with the g9x, usually 3:1. The g9x comes with an interchangeable body style, two included, a fat one and a small one, as an MS mouse user you might like the small one like me.

Last edited:
I think I'm on my 4th or 5th IME3.0. I've always had the left click start acting up after a couple years. I almost made the switch to the Deathadder. Used it for about a week of solid gaming. I had to put scotchtape over the sensor to prevent it from tracking movements when I picked it up, which I do often since I play at very low sens. The shape is almost Identical, but I didn't care for the rubber texture on the top of it. It seemed to create some friction between my palm which effected my play style some.

I ended up selling the Deathadder to a friend and bought another 3.0. It just feels right to me. After my current 3.0 dies, I think I'll try to make a switch to something else again. It might be easier since I'm not playing cs as much these days.

I have tried to make the switch from an MS3.0 and keep finding myself coming back. My MS3.0 + my QcK+ is the best combination I that has work after trying the Deathadder, MX518, and even going back to using a MS1.1.

I've been through a lot of mice trying to replace my Logitech G5, but hated all of them so far :) I can say this tho, the Steelseries XAI felt very much like an MS3.0.

I tried a Habu after an IME 3.0, and ended up buying another IME.

The only pointing device that has ever led me away from the IME is trackballs... Used to use them back in the day, and just went back to a Logitech trackman. I really miss my old, huge, 5-button Microsoft trackball. Really, really miss it.

I'm using the Steelseries Steelpad 5L

Is it a rundown between the g9x and the DeathAdder? The mice have been breaking with such recurrence that it's easy to spot the trend. It just doesn't make sense to continually replace them. If I knew that I would only have to buy 1 more 3.0 to rid myself of these problems, I'd do it easily. But perhaps it's like the Habu double-click issue where this is a common problem. My use of the mouse could be contributing to it breaking down in this specific way. I'm not abusing it, but I am over-using it. I play far too much. Who knows? It's just that money is tight right now, and I'd like something that's going to last and feel as much like the 3.0 as possible. It wouldn't be hard to convince to stay with the 3.0, but on the other hand, I could easily be swung towards choosing another brand.

Back