I need a second opinion

LadyMakoFox

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, I just built the system bout 3 weeks ago. I have a problem with it locking up when using anything 3d.
My first thought was the power supply was too weak (Older 260watt) so I replaced it with a SLI certed 600watt psu. No dice, so then I checked ram and it ran fine on memtest, and the cpu as well runs completely fine while testing. Only time the machine locks up is during 3d and I have tried a older PCI video card and got the same results.. I also tried different drivers of course.

The specs are:
Pentium D 915
ESC RC410L/800 (2.0)
512 DDR2 667
Cool Master 60watt psu
Random 20gig harddrive (don't wana damage data so its what I'm using)

I'm thinking it is a cooling issue, but I'd like some second opinions and suggestions before I start RMAing parts.

51C max, running orthos, My idle is normaly around 32ish.

I can run the computer for the most part for anything but 3d programs.

I know you said you tried different drivers.... but..... it really sounds like a driver issue to me. What drivers have you tried?

Catalyst 7.2, Catalyst 7.1, and Catalyst 6.12

Even tried the Omega drivers just to see if it was them.

Well... shit, I was going to recommend the 6.12's but, oh well.

Chipset drivers... maybe?
That's a stretch, I know.... but... Your temp seem to be fine, so I dunno...

I guess it wouldnt hurt to just try the even older ones, whats the worst that happens? It work? :p

Hmm, everything seems to look alright... do you have any other ram to try? I'd give that a shot next. If that's a no go I'm leaning towards a mobo rma :(.

btw, it's always funny to see genmayers in "public" :p.

Hmm, everything seems to look alright... do you have any other ram to try? I'd give that a shot next. If that's a no go I'm leaning towards a mobo rma :(.

btw, it's always funny to see genmayers in "public" :p.

I'm gonna break down and just RMA the board, its a cheapie brand I never used before and I guess I should have stuck with one I can trust.

I would have posted in GenMay only but figured I'd make one post outside for a change.

It's not so bad out here... really.. some of us are ok:p

I think your decision to rma the mobo is probably wise, I can't think of anything else that would be the cause...

Back