I need a way to...

marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
Stop and start the FAH client 10 minutes or so after system start-up. Any ideas?

Little batch program runs form scheduled tasks starts a 10 minute timer then stops/starts the service? Messy, my computer names tend to change (need to pop in admin password into scheduled tasks every name change).

Problem is completed WU's are getting stuck on my latest borging idea.

This will hit the part about throwing a wait of sorts in there: http://malektips.com/dos0017.html

You could then set it up to run at startup using local security policy. If that will work, I have no clue though.

You can run a batch file at either Startup or shutdown (or Logon/Logoff) from the Local Security Policy

Click Start >Run > type "gpedit.msc" {enter}

Navigate to the following location

Local Computer Policy >Computer Configuration >Windows Settings >Scripts

OR

Local Computer Policy >User Configuration >Windows Settings >Scripts

In both locations you will see a set of scripts in the USER settings you set scripts for LOGON and LOGOFF. In the COMPUTER settings you will see scripts for STARTUP and SHUTDOWN

Add your .bat file to the appropriate script.

Systems come out of sysprep with a random name, then the name is changed by an automated naming scheme (site name basically).

Wonder is sysprep will kill off local secutiry policies?

Problem is these boxes connect to dialup 8 minutes after startup for a 30 minute window. The download part of FAH tries again every 15 minutes or so, within this window. However the upload is every 6 hours.

Boxes also connect at night for between 10 and 100+ minutes, open ended time frame.

Short is I think I could be downloading more WU and finishing than I'm sending back. This won't be good.

Existing plan is working, just not all that well I don't think.

Sysprep may kill local policies, but you might be able to build it into the script that changes the system name.

Sysprep shouldn't touch local security policies. As far I know, it only clears out the machine SID's and refires mini-setup if chosen. We have predefined policies for adding printer drivers and those have held through a sysprep. I just don't know if the wait in the batch file would disrupt the startup routine.

p[H]ant0m said:
Sysprep shouldn't touch local security policies. As far I know, it only clears out the machine SID's and refires mini-setup if chosen. We have predefined policies for adding printer drivers and those have held through a sysprep. I just don't know if the wait in the batch file would disrupt the startup routine.
Ok, cool. You have more experience with that than me.

Only one way to find out about the batch file.
;)

My startup routine is pure bloodshed. It's bad.

These stupid dialups are a major pain to keep working, don't ask... It's been a long road but I've got a mostly stable platform and obviously will not do anything to mess up the production enviroment.

Sysprep I've found does all sorts of wierd things and likes to break all sorts of things I'd never expect. Trial and error.

Also critical nothing is displayed to the console user.

What about maybe creating a service for it? I'm sure there are some snippets out there where you could built it to run on startup, do a wait, and everything else, and kill itself at the end. That might be a better path.

Pray for an ice storm for mary03 dialups :p

I am sorry you're having problems. I don't have much batch/DOS, left in me. a l o n g time ago.

p[H]ant0m said:
What about maybe creating a service for it? I'm sure there are some snippets out there where you could built it to run on startup, do a wait, and everything else, and kill itself at the end. That might be a better path.

that sounds like a nice idea. One problem: no idea on how to do this... :)

Yea, basically I ran out of things to borg and these started looking good. 100-150 GZh here so worth some effort I guess.

Scheduled tasks/batch would work, I just had using XP's scheduled tasks for anything.

Personally, I'd stick them all in an OU and use AD group policy to do this. That way you can change it for all the computers at one time instead of using local security policies, should the need arise. You can also use wmi filters or group filtering to apply the policy from a top down level without putting all of the computers in their own OU.

AtomicMoose said:
This is the exact process I use on my UD borgs.

Well there you go... if it's good for Moose, it must be good for Marty. ;)

ND40oz said:
Personally, I'd stick them all in an OU and use AD group policy to do this. That way you can change it for all the computers at one time instead of using local security policies, should the need arise. You can also use wmi filters or group filtering to apply the policy from a top down level without putting all of the computers in their own OU.

yea, my dialup domain is going great!!! :p

all stand alone machines not part of a domain.

thanks guys, let me kick some of these around.

zim01 said:
more probation for mary03 cuz I won? :rolleyes:
Sure, why not? That and Marty doesn't think that I've noticed him changing the date in his sig....not that it matters what his sig says. ;)

marty9876 said:
yea, my dialup domain is going great!!! :p

all stand alone machines not part of a domain.

thanks guys, let me kick some of these around.

Time to bring one up, SBS ftw ;)

Bah, sorry, used to enterprise setups, pushing 100k in our people container alone...

AtomicMoose said:
Sure, why not? That and Marty doesn't think that I've noticed him changing the date in his sig....not that it matters what his sig says. ;)
shit

ND40oz said:
Time to bring one up, SBS ftw ;)

Bah, sorry, used to enterprise setups, pushing 100k in our people container alone...

It's hard at times but what I'm stuck with is the most anti enterprise/domain type thing possible. Makes things a real bear to do anything at times.

yea, ummm..... No clue what I'm doing here (or how to start).

I'll kick the screen some more.

Can you just delay starting the service? If so, set the service to manual and use a batch file to net start it through a scheduled task (I know you don't like this) or some sort of startup script and count to 600 seconds before it starts the service. I guess you could do a start up script the net restarts the service after a 600 second delay as well.

Back