I need an audio switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsycoGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to hook up my 4.1 speakers, another set of 4.1"s, and my zalman 5.1 headphones all at the same time and be able to switch between them.

The first set of 4.1"s (Altec Lansing 641"s) are my listening speakers for web, music, etc... for general listening. The second set of 4.1"s (an older set of creative POS) are goinng to be my shop listening speakers for web radio and playlists. The Zalman 5.1 headphones are used only for gaming.

I don't want them all receiving signal when the PC is on. I want to hook up the soundcard to a switch box and select the output with a switch or switches, whatever the case may be.

Does anyone know where I can get one, or get one made, cost effectively that is? I could build it myself, and I am willing to take any advice anyone has to offer, with the exception of just using splitters to hook everything up (since that is the way I have it now, minus the second set of 4.1"s), but need help in designing it.

well since your speakers are powered.. that's gonna be a tough one. if you had regular speakers... you could just get an reciever to switch between an A & B set of speakers. Depending on your soundcard.. you could run the digital out to the reciever to feed your speakers, and then since your Zalmans are 5.1, plug them directly into the analog outs on your soundcard. I guess if your reciever had preouts.. then you could just run a cable back out to your speakers rather than power them from the reciever. Kinda confusing nonetheless.

I agree... kinda confusing. But so is what I have now, especially if I have to break it down like I did recently to move. Had to take about 45 minuits to sort out the wires after hooking most if it up wrong.

What I'm looking for is an unpowered solution. Sure, I would have to reset the speaker settings in the Creative Controll Panel, but I have to do that now anyway. I would also like to avoid unplugging things to turn them off. With the splitters on the back of the PC I can't do that at all very easy, and I don't want a bunch of extension cables on my desk to plug into either. What I was thinking of was something like this... a set of pushbutton switches for each output, one for each channel.

C|F|R = Zalman Headphones
_|F|R = Altec Lansing 641's
_|F|R = Shop Speakers
_|F|_ = Senhheiser HD 265's

All I would need is a good quality wire going from the soundcard output to the switchbox, and a set of 3 6-pole push on switches for each output (Right|Left|Ground). Wire up the soundcard output to each switch. Yeah, I would have to a set of switches for each set of speakers/headphones, but I think it would work, right? Can anyone see any potential problems with that? Suggestions on switches maybe?

No I haven't. How would that benefit me in this case? Not being sarcastic or anything, I just don't see what you do. How would that work to solve the problem?

Oh, on another note, I may not have the room for that anyhow. I have a NIC, the Audigy 2ZS, a SCSI card, plus 1 lost PCI slot to water cooling my video card.

PsycoGeek said:
No I haven't. How would that benefit me in this case? Not being sarcastic or anything, I just don't see what you do. How would that work to solve the problem?

Oh, on another note, I may not have the room for that anyhow. I have a NIC, the Audigy 2ZS, a SCSI card, plus 1 lost PCI slot to water cooling my video card.

you would just drop a set of speakers on each soundcard.. but 4 would be stretching it.. since you don't have room as it is.

Yeah, I know Mister X. I'm trying to keep the cost down though... Nice thought, but I want it as simple as possible. How exactly would you controll multiple sound cards if they are from the same manufacturer? How would you turn the output off to each set of speakers? That is what my goal is... to interrupt the signal going to the speakers and only have the set I want getting signal.

I though there used to be an electronics forum here, no? I was looking for links to electronic parts dealers.

PsycoGeek said:
Yeah, I know Mister X. I'm trying to keep the cost down though...
Keep the cost down?

I don't see that happening with a switch box because just the 16 minijacks are going to cost about $15
throw in the switches the enclosure and the parts to make the cables (that run from the card to the switch box) and you are looking at roughly $30 before shipping.
Then you have to know how to wire those switches and you need the tools to put it all together.

PsycoGeek said:
Nice thought, but I want it as simple as possible..
It does not get any easier then having multiple sound cards. ;)

PsycoGeek said:
How exactly would you controll multiple sound cards if they are from the same manufacturer?
Let's use the Audigy 2 as an example here

See where it says SB audigy [8000] in the picture below?
eax-console.jpg

Imagine for one second that is a drop down list that allows you to select and then use the software to configure another audigy2/audigy/live/ card. :eek:

PsycoGeek said:
How would you turn the output off to each set of speakers? .
This is application spefic.... you choose what sound card you wish to send the signal to.

PsycoGeek said:
That is what my goal is... to interrupt the signal going to the speakers and only have the set I want getting signal..
is that not what dual sound cards will do? ;)

PsycoGeek said:
I though there used to be an electronics forum here, no? I was looking for links to electronic parts dealers.
Yes there is an electronics section on this forum..... it is in the case modding section
http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52
electronic suppliers:

www.mouser.com
www.digikey.com
www.newark.com
www.alliedelec.com
www.allelectronics.com
www.markertek.com
www.partSEXpress.com
www.mcmelectronics.com
www.actionelectronics.com
those are just a few off the top of my head.....I bet if you googled electronic supplier you could prolly find another 16,000,000 of them. :rolleyes:

Oh, well... EXCUSE ME! Sorry man, but I've been around a bit longer than you, and have been a hardware enthusiast for a LONG time. I have the tools, and the know how. I wasn't looking for someone to TRY and tell me how dumb I am... I was looking for assistance. See above... no PCI slots left to speak of.

Also, USB soundcard at Newegg:

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro Virtual 5.1 Surround Sound Channels USB Interface Sound Card = $23.99 + shipping, multiple cards will cost at least $50... If I want sould cards that will drop right into the Creative Control panel... $50 each, minimum.

Homebuilt switchbox:

About $25 -$35 (rough estimate), PLUS the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Dude... I have so many enclosures lying around it's not even funny. I have the hard case (extruded aluminum) from a 9600 baud modem, two external SCSI slim drive enclosures, and a SCSI DTL tape drive enclosure with an EPIA motherboard in it. Had to get rid of the Apple 2E box, and a few others before moving recently.... just didn't see me building anything in them. Check to the left there pal... I've been around here since 2000, and have been lurking since almost the beginning of the big [H]. Been modding almost as long. I was one of the first to make a "suck" hole for my CPU heat sink (a Blue Orb on a P3). Lay off with the "high and mighty and all knowing so I don't have to be polite because I'm "Hardness Supreme"" bull. I'm not buying it. And if you don't have anything usefull to say, or can't say it wothout trying to make someone look like an ass, stay out of the thread.

Mister X said:
Keep the cost down?

I don't see that happening with a switch box because just the 16 minijacks are going to cost about $15
throw in the switches the enclosure and the parts to make the cables (that run from the card to the switch box) and you are looking at roughly $30 before shipping.
Then you have to know how to wire those switches and you need the tools to put it all together.

Yes there is an electronics section on this forum..... it is in the case modding section
http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52
electronic suppliers:

-edit-

those are just a few off the top of my head.....I bet if you googled electronic supplier you could prolly find another 16,000,000 of them. :rolleyes:

Well, EXCUSE ME, again! Just couldn't remember where it was...

Now, back on topic...

Can anyone reccomend a switch to do what I want? Each switch has to handle Left, Right, and ground, and has to turn on all three at the same time. I have a local supplier here in PA, but they are always a pain to deal with when trying to find a part to fit the need. They always act arrogant, like I'm bothering them (remind you of anyone, Mister X?).

Well.. I have been here just as long as you and I say I should close this thread because it's starting to turn into a flame war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back