I need some help with a Fiery RIP LCD

SpangeMonkee

[H]ard|Gawd
I just aquired an old Fiery rip that has an LCD with some buttons on the front of it. I wanted to get this to run my own stuff. The LCD is controlled by a PCI card. I've been unable to find any info about this system. It shows up under windows as a multimedia controller.

LCD - PN: 10021323 - Electronics for Imaging
Controller - PN: 10021433 - Electronics for Imaging

The rip looks like this, except blue.

194.gif

omg i hope that wasn't a working rip...... those things are expensive

Kyre said:
omg i hope that wasn't a working rip...... those things are expensive

this one was old. had a PIII-600 in it and 512RAM. Worthless now. Though, it is a dual board.

Need some more information.
Specifically, need the numbers off the largest chip on the PCI card. To be honest, it looks like some flavor of PCI-PCI bridge by layout alone, but I really can't tell for sure. Some shots of the interior of this thing would be nice too. ;)

SpangeMonkee said:
this one was old. had a PIII-600 in it and 512RAM. Worthless now. Though, it is a dual board.

That is If my memory serves me, the current configuration, The boxes are built to support copiers and it's not the hardware that is expensive but the software....

Diablo2K said:
Forgive my ingorance but what the heck is a "rip"???

An uber print server of sorts (raster image processor) - these are often used in printing shops to print to plate etchers, film printers, etc.

AreEss said:
Need some more information.
Specifically, need the numbers off the largest chip on the PCI card. To be honest, it looks like some flavor of PCI-PCI bridge by layout alone, but I really can't tell for sure. Some shots of the interior of this thing would be nice too. ;)

The interior is nothing special. I already put my current machine in there. I'll take more pics of the PCI card.

Diablo2K said:
Forgive my ingorance but what the heck is a "rip"???

It takes the process of printing over for your computer. It specializes in printing only.

SpangeMonkee said:
The interior is nothing special. I already put my current machine in there. I'll take more pics of the PCI card.

Well, er, not the reason. The reason being, I really really need to see the motherboard. I have a feeling that if that is a PCI-PCI bridge or other bridge device, the actual chip we're looking for is on the motherboard not the PCI card.
But yes, more pictures would also help. :)

Kyre said:
That is If my memory serves me, the current configuration, The boxes are built to support copiers and it's not the hardware that is expensive but the software....

You are correct. It is a $3000 machine. Then again, if you don't have a need for a professional print controller, there you go. (I think the system we put in with the controller pictured and a Sharp professional color printer interfaced to it cost a little over $30grand.)

BBA said:
You are correct. It is a $3000 machine. Then again, if you don't have a need for a professional print controller, there you go. (I think the system we put in with the controller pictured and a Sharp professional color printer interfaced to it cost a little over $30grand.)

It came from my work. we have 6 RIP servers running over $1.5 million worth of printers. We use Onyx Production House and Wasage to rip to Sctex XLJet, Nur Tempo, 2 LightJets, HP5000, Epson 9600Pro and some highend SII printer.

Here are some more pics. I have higher res images available.

My machine stuff in the case. weird config. HDs up top, CDROM and PSU downbelow.

front of case.

back of LCD

front of LCD

PCI controller

original mobo 1

original mobo 2

I can ask for some info on how the pci card interfaces tomorrow if you can wait.
Also, I gotta ask: Can you get me the print controller model? It helps a lot. (looks like it might be an XJ).

I thought about putting my computer in a case like that. Then I realized how much I hate fixing those print controllers (the internals are crap), so having one at home might not be a good idea.... (yes, i work for a copier company)

Man oh man, fifty points off to anyone who doesn't recognize that board. Interesting that it doesn't have the ARO option, but not surprising. I also see the used the same heatsink trick everyone was forced to use in the end.

The interface is very interesting, and very proprietary. What I see is a very basic PCI connection. And by basic, I do mean basic. This actually looks like it's probably an ASIC that's had a PCI interface added as somewhat of an afterthought, (e.g. they took an existing standalone part and added a PCI interface,) though I'm likely wrong there. But either way, it looks to definitely be an ASIC not unlike some of the SCSI Image Acquisition cards I've seen. e.g. Almost everything is done on the card, and the PCI interface is just to tell the ASIC what to do with what it's got.

BBA said:

Actually if you want to use a canon clc series copier as a printer you need one of those, I don’t know too much about the rip itself but I refurbish canon copiers (clc only) as a part-time job.

I wanted to get this to run my own stuff
so you're planning to write your own software routines? Otherwise it's way easier to replace the LCD with a common one that can be controlled easily with existing LCD apps.
What kinda LCD is it anyway, something like 4x20 character or 128x64 graphical?

coorz said:
so you're planning to write your own software routines? Otherwise it's way easier to replace the LCD with a common one that can be controlled easily with existing LCD apps.
What kinda LCD is it anyway, something like 4x20 character or 128x64 graphical?

something like that. I wanted to install it first and see if any existing stuff will work with it. If not, I might have to learn how to code. :) It is a graphical LCD.

After a conversation with our National Tech. support:
As it turns out, this fiery uses and embedded version of either linux or windows (can't remember. and no, it's not XP embedded). There is a driver for it, but it can't be taken from the drive image, and it's proprietary. EFI would never release this driver to you, even if you were on your deathbed (EFI is a bunch of jerks). It is a standard LCD (don't know the controller chip), but with a proprietary connector (they've moved pins around and such. Again, they're a bunch of jerks).

If you can figure out how to write to the PCI device, cheers to you, and let the rest of us know.
Your best bet is to get a better, and normal LCD. You'll have a much easier time getting that to work, than this

(this is why Fierys are so expensive. Proprietary part+proprietary software=Batsh*t expensive) You could've sold that fiery and made more than your computer was worth, and then bought any case you want.

capt.monkey said:
(this is why Fierys are so expensive. Proprietary part+proprietary software=Batsh*t expensive) You could've sold that fiery and made more than your computer was worth, and then bought any case you want.

thanks for all the help. I could always put the orginal pieces back in it, though the PSU is dead. I can always put in a PSOne screen.

Hi !
I have a Fiery Z5 working with this LCD.
I am french and your conversation interest me.
The LCD driver is a Samsung KS0108 and it is connect with a serial interface.
It is a graphic LCD but you can directly write characters on !
It is certainly a graphic and character LCD which use differents commands to use it.
I have tested it with LCD4LINUX but the result is not perfect, somes squares are display on it in place of normals characters.
It is mount on /dev/ttyS1 peripheric.
The chip on the controller is an USB chip but it connected on serial port, What's the fuck ? I don't now it !
So, if you find and rewrite or write a driver for it, please contact me !

Thx, Spawnrider

spawnrider said:
Hi !
I have a Fiery Z5 working with this LCD.
I am french and your conversation interest me.
The LCD driver is a Samsung KS0108 and it is connect with a serial interface.
It is a graphic LCD but you can directly write characters on !
It is certainly a graphic and character LCD which use differents commands to use it.
I have tested it with LCD4LINUX but the result is not perfect, somes squares are display on it in place of normals characters.
It is mount on /dev/ttyS1 peripheric.
The chip on the controller is an USB chip but it connected on serial port, What's the fuck ? I don't now it !
So, if you find and rewrite or write a driver for it, please contact me !

Thx, Spawnrider

can you show me pics of your LCD from the inside? Mine connects to a PCI card. I managed to recover some data from the corrupt harddrive, but I have yet to sort through it. I let you know what I find though.

Darkala said:
pictures of said 1.5 million dollars of printers???

I don't have pics of the exact machines but here are pics the same machines my company owns.

ph-64s.jpg

Seiko 64S
(solvent printer)

epson9600_product.jpg

Epson 9600 Pro
(inkjet)

lw-doubleproof-72dpi.jpg

HP DesignJet 5500
(inkjet)

XLjet3_25.jpg

SciTex XLJet
(solvent printer)

3457688_TempoOperator.jpg

Nur Tempo
(UV printer)

lightjet_med.jpg

Lightjet (two)
(photo printer)

This doesn't include the 8 document printers we have scattered around.

SpangeMonkee said:
can you show me pics of your LCD from the inside? Mine connects to a PCI card. I managed to recover some data from the corrupt harddrive, but I have yet to sort through it. I let you know what I find though.

Hi !,
Thx to your reply !
I will post the pictures when i will can.
I let you know what I find though : Thx me too :)

Is the last printer a neuronet processor, a learning computah?

It looks like it could be..

IT WILL REPLACE US ALL!

J-M-E said:
Is the last printer a neuronet processor, a learning computah?

It looks like it could be..

IT WILL REPLACE US ALL!

flatbed printer. prints on almost any surface up to 2" thick.

Anyone (SpangeMonkee?) can be interrested by the Fiery's LCD Driver ?
I have found a ms dos program to control it !
It's called doslcd.exe and run by a command in a batch file like this :
doslcd p 0 0 "All data will be" p 0 1 "deleted. Continue?" h 0 4 " Install NT " s 0 2 2 Yes No

If anyone is interrested by it , mail me ;)
Ps : sorry for my fuc@@@@! bad english !

I have the lcd for a fiery x50 (i believe anyway). It connects thru what looks like a modded serial connector. Supposed to be rs232

My LCD is connected by a internal connector at the JP20 on the Motherboard.
It also connected by RS232 because it use the COM2 and /dev/ttyS1 on linux.

The driver (program) doslcd.exe i found, work fine on Windows but can work on Linux.
I have tested Wine and DosBox but they don't work !

If anyone find a solution to use the LCD on Linux .... I wait for a solution :(
Thx

Back