I need some Opinons

paintballax4ever

Limp Gawd
I'm getting a new processor, and I'm stuck on two choices. I want to get either an Athlon XP Barton 2500+ or an Athlon 64 3200+...I know the 64 bit is better, but is it really worth the money? I currently use a NF7-S 2.0 and I was wondering if there would be a compatibility issue with the 64 bit? What would you guys get for these system specs?

NF7-S 2.0
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
Crucial PC2700 512mb (might be getting two extra sticks of 256mb, still PC2700)

Thanks for the help in advance!

-you'll need a new board for a64 processors
-its worth depends on your current processor as do your upgrade options

I have AMD Athlon 1.33ghz Thunderbird right now, I don't really want to buy a new motherboard, so what is my best bet for processors with my current board?

If I did want to upgrade whihc motherboard/processor combo would you recommend?

DFI Lanparty mobo
A64 3000+
decent 3200 DDR ram
OC the A64 to 2.4ghz+
Good to go!

Dario

paintballax4ever said:
I have AMD Athlon 1.33ghz Thunderbird right now, I don't really want to buy a new motherboard, so what is my best bet for processors with my current board?
get a mobile 2600+ and overclock it. should be good to 2.5-2.6ghz

paintballax4ever said:
If I did want to upgrade whihc motherboard/processor combo would you recommend?
i'd get:
msi k8n neo2
a64 3200+ (939, 90nm)
1gb (512x2 for dual channel) crucial ballistix pc3200
gf6800gt

If you went with the A64, you'd need (at least) a new motherboard & memory.

The XP-M chips are getting suggested so much 'cuz the overclock like crazy - a side-effect of them having low stock FSBs and runnign at low power (= low temp). If you're not goign to OC, get the cheapest XP with a 333MHz FSB you can find.

When I first started reading this thread, I was thinking it was similar to my situation - I'm replacing CPU/mobo/RAM in my rig & trying to decide if it's worth the extra $80 to go from an XP2600+ to an A64-2800+.

The XP-M's OC better than the XP? I didn't know that, so I guess I might get that instead. I was thinking about a XP 2600+.

Anyways I'm getting two extra sticks of 256mb ram from an RMA. Hopefully it will be compatible with my one stick of 512mb.

In like boards using like memory, my 2400M 35 watt is about 200Mhz faster than my 2800 Barton.

If your upgrading from a Tbird, then I would just spend the few hundred for the A64/DFI rig. If your going to spend some money, spend alittle more and get it.

Youre going to need teh bandwidth of PC3200 or higher. FSB is the key with those if I remember right. Dont short yourself. Buy a good stick of PC4000, a small stick until you can afford more.
PC2100 wont get you very fair with a good XP anyway as you'll be hobbled by the FSB... unless you cut it by ratio in the BIOS.

u dont need PC4000 get 512mb stick of some PC3200 value ram, one of the cheaper socket 754 mobos, and A64 2800+. and u'll be set. it also wont cost that much

mobo - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-128-226&DEPA=1

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=1

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=1

u can find cheaper ram if ya want.

this is just a suggestion for a cheap nicely performing system.

hope i was some help

good luck

You recommended the DFI Lan Party, can that even support a PC4000? What kind of RAM would you recommend? I thought the DFI Lan Party only supports up to PC3100.

paintballax4ever said:
You recommended the DFI Lan Party, can that even support a PC4000? What kind of RAM would you recommend? I thought the DFI Lan Party only supports up to PC3100.

read the post above

also btw how much do u think u could spend?

paintballax4ever said:
Dude, no mobo officially supports anything more than PC3200. I would recommend either samsung TCCD based memory (corsair xl, ocz el platimum, pqi turbo etc) or Crucial Ballistix or OCZ EB if you can find it.

Supports PC2700 (DDR333) and PC3200 (DDR400) DDR SDRAM DIMM. This is directly from DFI site.
Check it out here.DFI Lanparty UT 250Gb

Anything =or>PC2700 will work in this board.

I think I can get the money, eventually...it would just take time. The question I'm wondering about is can I run an A64 with my PC2700's, just until I get enough money for some PC3200's. I want to get an A64 and new mobo as soon as I can...well I want everything as soon as I can, but the CPU and mobo is top priority.

Back