I need/want a subwoofer..Suggestions?

baker97

Limp Gawd
Alright guys This is my current set-up.

Sony STR-DE598 Receiver
2x Insignia 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers
2x Technics SBG900 4-way 5 Speaker System

So I want a sub but I dont know what to get my budget is $100-$200.
I know I have a shitty receiver but It will have to do for a couple of months. i need something that gives me a good bang for the buck.

BTW I have a shitty sound card, which well be way different in my new build this summer, but It does have an optical port, is it worth it to go out and get an optical cable to hook up to my receiver or should I just leave it an a "Y" red-white wire for now. Is the quality that much better ?

Does SVS have anything thats even remotely close to 200 dollars?

I'd check out BIC, do a search for them on amazon.

I have a BIC H-100, got it for a little less than $200, great sub for the money. Its both musical and really awesome for movies.

alright thanks guys! :)

I could really use some cheaper suggestions... I don't think I can afford a $200 sub...

Oh and are the audio optical cables worth it?

The daytons I linked to are proven subs, they should be great for what you're trying to accomplish. Any budget audiophile will attest to their bang for the buck. And they're well within your price range. If you're gonna spend $200 for a sub, might as well be a HSU designed BIC H-100, any less than that might as well be a dayton.

If you really want to get subwoofage for cheap, you can also try to do a DIY tube sub built from a sonotube-type concrete form. They are big, ugly, but cheap. You could use your old receiver to power it too. Of course, you'd need to feet it a signal with a low-pass filter on it so that it only gets sound at <~80 htz. Probably the simplest way to do that is to get the new receiver that you wanted in the first place and feed it the signal from the subwoofer output. However, that again bumps your budget above $200.

well what do you guys think should I go for a receiver than save for a sub later? I really want that sub woofer sound and feel but I'm patient and willing to do it the right way.. If so what receiver should I get ? the receiver would have to be around that $150-200 price range as well.

thanks for the info!

Hey you guys think its even worth it to get a sub or will my receiver just kill the system anyways. Should I invest in a amp/receiver and go that route?
I'm definitely going to buy some digital audio cables and then put a nice sound card in when I build but I don;t know what to do?

Basically if you were in my shoes what would you spend your $200 on?

Ya I think I'm going to go with a sub anyone have other suggestion.s I like the x-sub but the only thing that scares me is that I can't access one locally to see if I like it, no one carries them.

the ps8 is sounding good right now, btw is the ps10 worth the extra money ?
I'll keep you guys posted

I'd get a BIC long before I'd get a JBL.

Go with a BIC 10" if volume is more important, go with the X-Sub if sound quality and contruction quality are more important.

Check out that HSU research sub for $250. You can't do better than that. That sub is amazing.

I'd get a BIC long before I'd get a JBL.

Go with a BIC 10" if volume is more important, go with the X-Sub if sound quality and contruction quality are more important.

Actually, the sound quality and construction quality of the BIC is top notch, its very attractive and the amp is bullet proof so far. Plus it hits HARD :)

so even thought the 10" inch BIC is cheaper than the Infinity ps8, av123 x-sub and pretty mich all other subs suggested its a better buy ?

Actually, the sound quality and construction quality of the BIC is top notch, its very attractive and the amp is bullet proof so far. Plus it hits HARD :)

Actually, it's still not as good as the X-Sub. I didn't say it was bad, I just said it wasn't as good. If you think the fit and finish of a BIC is on par with that of anything from av123 then you must not have ever seen any of AV123s speakers.

A 200 dollar BIC sub is obviously not the greatest sub in the world, there's no point in getting all defensive about it just because you own it.

I think you guys are confusing the bic with the acoustech. Its the same company, acoustech is the premium brand. The acoustech H-100 was designed by Hsu, so its actually a great sub for the money. I'm not sure of the merits of the vanilla bic 10".

so even thought the 10" inch BIC is cheaper than the Infinity ps8, av123 x-sub and pretty mich all other subs suggested its a better buy ?

Whether or not its a "better buy" depends entirely on personal preference. It's a quality vs. quantity thing. A sub like the X-sub uses higher quality components (1" thick MDF and real wood veneer, for example) and construction, but it costs more and has an 8" driver vs. the 10" of the BIC, so it's going to give up a little in the thumping department.

What's wrong with JBL actually?

Nothing in particular is wrong with them, I've just never been that impressed with their offerings and I think at any given price point there's probably something better out there than JBL.

The $200 budget subs most recommended atm are av123.com's X-Sub and the Bic H-100. The cheapest place to get the Bic H-100 that i know of is from an ebay seller called acousticsounddesign who accepts "best offers" of around $190 + S/H. Have the Bic H-100 myself and i consider one of the best audio purchases i've ever made :)

For more info checkout: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=113

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ya $200 is pushing can anyone suggest a sub for more around $150, I don't need audio-amazing performance I just need something to give me those lows because right now I don't have a sub at all.

Dayton makes some quality stuff. Supposedly, the older model dayton downward firing was slightly better than the new model, but the new model is still a solid performer. Especially for the money. Still, an extra $50 buys that H-100 which is REALLY nice.

Ya those Dayton's are probably the most recommended ~$150 subs but people seem to upgrade to better subs awefully fast (from what i've read). I guess it gives them a taste of what a decent subwoofer sounds like, giving them an upgrade itch :D. I see the Velodyne VX-10 (aka VRP1000) recommended sometimes also. Personally i'd take the Dayton 12" sub-120 over the VX-10 since it hits a little lower.

There doesn't seem to be a silver-bullet $150 subwoofer so be forewarned. For every person that recommends the cheaper daytons and velodynes there's a person criticizing them...

I expect that, and I think the dayton 12" is a smart buy for me.

Thanks for help everyone!

Back