I think I fried my eVGA cards, how to RMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockeOak

Weaksauce
In the process of building my new rig and moving the old one out of its case, I accidentally used an 8 to 6-pin PCI-E power cable with the wrong power supply to both of my eVGA GTX 460s (both were red capped and black sleeved). The sockets were the same but the pin layout was different, so I think I may have damaged the cards. I can't get either one to POST, they both hang at the VGA check. Using my old 4850 works fine. There is no visible physical damage to the cards. How do I go about RMA'ing? Am I honest about what happened to them or do I just mention that they won't POST? The fact that I'm returning two will certainly be suspicious. I've heard great things about eVGA's warranty but does it cover when you're a dumbass? Anybody have a similar experience with eVGA?

Well if you mention they won't post EVGA will have you go through a series of steps to rule out basic user error. However they will provide you with an RMA after that. Shouldn't be a big hassle if thats what your expecting.

Yeah. I feel like a moron after trying to make these systems work for 3 days only to find out it was a power cord that looked identical to all the other power cords that caused the problem. At least I didn't kill the motherboard or processor.

In the process of building my new rig and moving the old one out of its case, I accidentally used an 8 to 6-pin PCI-E power cable with the wrong power supply to both of my eVGA GTX 460s (both were red capped and black sleeved). The sockets were the same but the pin layout was different, so I think I may have damaged the cards. I can't get either one to POST, they both hang at the VGA check. Using my old 4850 works fine. There is no visible physical damage to the cards. How do I go about RMA'ing? Am I honest about what happened to them or do I just mention that they won't POST? The fact that I'm returning two will certainly be suspicious. I've heard great things about eVGA's warranty but does it cover when you're a dumbass? Anybody have a similar experience with eVGA?

I take it that your taking about using the wrong modular cables? sorry but you really can't RMA them unless your willing to sleaze bag. I would call them up and see what they can do. its possible they could be repaired (I have doubts though). I would imagine that they would charge for it

Yeah. I feel like a moron after trying to make these systems work for 3 days only to find out it was a power cord that looked identical to all the other power cords that caused the problem. At least I didn't kill the motherboard or processor.

True indeed (about not frying your mobo , cpu).

We've all made stupid mistakes regarding system building. My first Gigabyte board I managed to fry by forgetting to properly secure it in the case before turning it on .. the metal back plate caused it to arch and a little smoke came out. I bought a warranty from the store I got it from so replacing it wasn't to hard.

I felt completely retarded for about a week but it happens.

I take it that your taking about using the wrong modular cables? sorry but you really can't RMA them unless your willing to sleaze bag. I would call them up and see what they can do. its possible they could be repaired (I have doubts though). I would imagine that they would charge for it

Very very unlikely he'll be able to get them repaired. EVGA will likely just issue him 2 new refurbs. They are pretty forgiving even with user error.

Very very unlikely he'll be able to get them repaired. EVGA will likely just issue him 2 new refurbs. They are pretty forgiving even with user error.

I would be very impressed if they did that. Not sure I know of any other company that would.

Like I said I have my doubts. but I don't see how they could replace them. damn nice if they did but hard to justify

Like I said I have my doubts. but I don't see how they could replace them. damn nice if they did but hard to justify

Yeah I'd have to agree. Evga is a great company but that is just too nice. I can't see how Evga could stay in business if they openly footed the bill for other people's mistakes.

I don't know anything specific about these GPU boards in particular, but there are often inexpensive sacrificial components placed on the card to blow like a fuse when typical boneheaded things happen (incorrect power cord, reversed power polarity, lightning strike/surge). They may be very low value inductors, diodes and the like. My point here is that it may not be a loss to EVGA to take cards like this, replace the blown sacrificial component(s), test and turn around as refurbs for someone else with no harm done.

I would not expect these companies to take it on the chin for user error and absorb the loss of an pair of GPUs under dishonest circumstances. I don't support that. EVGA may still do the replacement if they know that they're protected from common user error, is what I am saying.

EVGA Warranty terms said:
There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.
You're legally and morally SOL.

Please do NOT return these at the expense of eVGA. I don't know anyone's warranty that covers being a dumbass (other than perhaps health insurance...).

Please do NOT return these at the expense of eVGA. I don't know anyone's warranty that covers being a dumbass (other than perhaps health insurance...).

aflac, go see their accident insurance. I bought double :D

I don't know anyone's warranty that covers being a dumbass (other than perhaps health insurance...).
I'd say they don't cover pre-existing conditions... but unfortunantly in this case, it looks like that's going way.

I'd email them and tell them they both don't work and not tell them I hooked them up wrong, that way you get 2 replacement cards for free.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'd email them and tell them they both don't work and not tell them I hooked them up wrong, that way you get 2 replacement cards for free.

And people wonder why video cards are so expensive today.. This kind of thing pisses me off to no end.

Yeah and you don't think they will know something is up with 2 cards dying the same way at the same time?

Tell them the truth. If they accept, consider yourself lucky you bought an eVGA. If they reject, suck it up.

You didn't buy insurance - you bought something with a warranty that covers manufacturing defects.

Tell them the truth. If they accept, consider yourself lucky you bought an eVGA. If they reject, suck it up.

You didn't buy insurance - you bought something with a warranty that covers manufacturing defects.

Exactly. It would be like slamming your car into a tree then trying to get the dealership to cover it under warranty. Or like hooking 120AC in place of your battery and trying to get them to cover it under warranty. Either way, illegal and immoral.

I would suggest contacting EVGA (perhaps even the EVGA representative here on [H], EVGA_JakeC), be honest about what happened, and see what they can do.

Just say they don't work and RMA them. Been there done that.

I'm sure you'd be quick to spend another $400 if you were in the same situation.

maybe he isn't comfortable with being a thief? that is what this boils down to, there really isn't a way out of that conclusion. a clean conscience is worth a lot more then the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back