i think im going to cry..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspah

2[H]4U
today i just built a spider platform pc (ga-ma770-ds3, phenom 9500, radeon 3850, 2gb ddr800).. when the client arrived to pick up the pc, they asked, "so is this going to run my email, solitare and stuff?". I did manage to keep my composure answering "oh yes, easily", but really i felt like smacking them upside the head...

is it just me, or does anyone else reckon that these people with too much money and not enough interest/love in tech should be banned from buying near-bleeding-edge tech? I mean to build my pc, i left luxury items like food go buy the wayside for a few months, to save up for something i really appreciate and push to its limits everyday.

next time i'll make them up a sempron kit and charge them $1000 for that... instead of a spider
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mod Edit - If there's a hardware question in here, somewhere, I guess I missed it. This would be a perfect topic for General[M]ayhem - PM me if you'd like it moved. Thanks - BlindedByScience

Well honestly that's only a medium end PC. It may be newer technology but I wouldn't call it bleeding edge. There are far better systems out there than that.

i know there are better system out there... but the point im saying is that for what they wanted the pc for a sempron would've been more than enough..

the phenom chip is pretty high end... and so is the 3850... at least compared to the average pc we build... our most popular is 4400+X2, 1gb 667, ga-m61sme-s2, 160GB hdd, dvd

phenom is a fair step-up from that... and i wouldnt call a 4400+ shabby either...

but i suppose youre right it was only a $1000 computer.. with lcd and everything.. that wouldnt have gotten squat a few years ago

True, its not bleeding edge but its a hell of more than what the client needs to run the meely tasks that he described.

I understand what you mean OP. We as enthusiasts will make sacrifices for our hobby and passion that "e-mail checkers" either won't or don't need to do simply because they don't share the same needs. But in comparison it sucks that's its sometimes a sacrifice to fuel our hobby while its a drop in the bucket for someone else that won't fully appreciate or utilize the hardware.

The lack of knowledge is their undoing and spending unnecessary $$ is its mistress. Let it go man and make your money.

The lack of knowledge is their undoing and spending unnecessary $$ is its mistress. Let it go man and make your money.

yeah i know i know... in retrospect i wish i had charged more... i dont make all that much of building pcs.. its just so damn compeditive.. if you put an extra $5 on a part and half of our resellers and customers turn their nose up at it.. not this customer cas they didnt really know what anything was worth

If they are going to burn some extra cash they might as well buy computers. Someones gonna take their money, might as well be the computer hardware industry.

Seems like a pretty good system to me. The Quad core is needed because there will be 1,000 spyware programs on the computer 2 weeks from now. 2 gigs of ram is needed for the same reason. My only suggestion is you should have given them a raptor, so once the computer has been running 2 years without being formatted, it will still run fast.

My mom complains about how slow her computer is, so I come over every once in a while and clean it up. Maybe the solution instead is to buy a fast computer so you don't have to clean it up.

i know there are better system out there... but the point im saying is that for what they wanted the pc for a sempron would've been more than enough..

the phenom chip is pretty high end... and so is the 3850... at least compared to the average pc we build... our most popular is 4400+X2, 1gb 667, ga-m61sme-s2, 160GB hdd, dvd

phenom is a fair step-up from that... and i wouldnt call a 4400+ shabby either...

but i suppose youre right it was only a $1000 computer.. with lcd and everything.. that wouldnt have gotten squat a few years ago

There is nothing wrong with someone buying a higher end computer than they need. I don't know about you but I can tell the difference between a Sempron and a Phenom in most general tasks. Not specifically E-Mail but general Windows navigation and basic applicaiton use.

There are differences between these words:

notice, need, appreciate

"Hey, guys, come here. I want to show you how fast RealPlayer loads!"

There are differences between these words:

notice, need, appreciate

"Hey, guys, come here. I want to show you how fast RealPlayer loads!"

I understand where you are coming from but I don't think this is a big deal. I've seen people build far more expensive computers than that for basic E-Mail and word processing with some web surfing.

It's not a big deal if you have the money. No one's really saying it's a big deal. It's just funny and sad at the same time.

It's not a big deal if you have the money. No one's really saying it's a big deal. It's just funny and sad at the same time.

It would bother me if they were building a dual QX9775 rig with a high end RAID controller, SAS drives and two 8800 Ultra's or dual 3870X2's and all they did was check E-Mail on it and surf the web.

That would be too much. Short of something super wasteful I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest. If someone wants a medium end system for basic stuff that's fine by me. Maybe they intend to keep it for 3-5 years?

Are you saying his needlessly powerful computer is merely futureproof, as if email and Internet browsing are going to be a lot more system taxing in 3-5 years?

Are you saying his needlessly powerful computer is merely futureproof, as if email and Internet browsing are going to be a lot more system taxing in 3-5 years?

That depends. Some people upgrade OSes in that time frame or want to run the latest versions of Microsoft Office in which case yes, they'll feel the pain in 3-5 years.

It also depends on what webpages you're viewing. I know some sites that will tax a Sempr0n. ;)

There is nothing wrong with someone buying a higher end computer than they need. I don't know about you but I can tell the difference between a Sempron and a Phenom in most general tasks. Not specifically E-Mail but general Windows navigation and basic applicaiton use.

You must not be using MS Outlook (non-express). :p MS Exchange FTW! :( :mad: :rolleyes:

Seems like a pretty good system to me. The Quad core is needed because there will be 1,000 spyware programs on the computer 2 weeks from now. 2 gigs of ram is needed for the same reason. My only suggestion is you should have given them a raptor, so once the computer has been running 2 years without being formatted, it will still run fast.

My mom complains about how slow her computer is, so I come over every once in a while and clean it up. Maybe the solution instead is to buy a fast computer so you don't have to clean it up.

ROFL~!

I upgraded my wife's PC with parts I replaced in mine only to get "So will this make Myspace pages load faster" and "Now the cards won't take forever to shuffle in Solitaire, right?" :(

Actually I am using MS Outlook w/Exchange.

Well, Exchange keeps everything on the server, so you either have good servers or you keep your mailbox clean... or both, lol. Without Exchange, MS Outlook gets pretty slow with large PST files -- this is when you'll notice the difference between a crappy/slow system and a good/fast one. ;)

To the OP, don't feel sad, every enthusiast needs to start somewhere.

Maybe your client only wanted to use the system for light usage for now but once he realises how much potential the system has, he could be another [H] member later :D

I am the "technical support." for my mother in law. I got a call last week and I am not fabricating this at all.

Mother in law: I keep restarting my computer, and it freezes everytime!
Me: Can you hit crtl+alt+del?
Mother in law: Yes, the task manager comes up. But I can't click on anything.
Me: Is your mouse unplugged?
Mother in law:... yes

I used to think that you wouldn't ever really need much of a computer to just surf the net, but I am surprised how taxing it can be on older computers. She has this 500mhz computer that can't do much more than run word. Its sad.

Well, Exchange keeps everything on the server, so you either have good servers or you keep your mailbox clean... or both, lol. Without Exchange, MS Outlook gets pretty slow with large PST files -- this is when you'll notice the difference between a crappy/slow system and a good/fast one. ;)

Both. I don't actually keep much E-Mail in my mail box. The server isn't taxed anywhere near capacity as far as I know.

I know what you are saying. I used to be an Exchange administrator. I also had to deal with MS Outlook clients back in the day. Huge PST's can ruin your day. Especially when they get past a certain size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back