I think my Hard drive is dieing.

CmaN3

Limp Gawd

That is the Drive I think is dieing, its a secondary IDE drive that I use for some extra file storage, which I stole from my old rig. No wonder Steam is loading so slowly.

And this is the 160gb WD sata that I'm using as my main OS drive.

So this gives me an excuse to pick up a couple big drives for a file server! I've been looking around, and want to get around 1TB of storage, and it seems that 2 500GB drives is my best bet. I'm looking to go cheap as possible. Any other suggestions?

Well, if you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade, then chuck it.

But, if not, then go to the manufacturer's web site, and find the support section, and download and run the diagnostics, just to be sure. Do the full scan.

While you are there, you can run the serial number to see if it's still under warranty. Prolly not for anything less than a Raptor, but it doesn't hurt to check.

2 smaller drives will be cheaper than 1 big drive. 500 gig drives are a bit over $100 or so right now. If you have the room...

Don

I want to at least salvage data of the drive, as I have a couple of movies that I havent burnt to DVD's and all of my Steam games on it. I just recently tried moving my steamapps to my desktop from this drive, it would have taken almost 2 hours :(

Start it going and let it run over night.

If things are that slow, don't be surprised to find some stuff that may be beyond normal help.

Don

Back