I want a 12" iBook... want to add memory/change HDD

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey,

I want to buy a 12" iBook... can I just add any PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM (Kingmax PC2700 DDR333 1024MB 200-pin SO-DIMM) and any 2.5" notebook HDD (Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 7200RPM Laptop Hard Disk).

How about setup of OS? Does it come with a installation CD that makes installing easy. I've never installed OSX before (I guess I could always go with Linux but I wanna dualboot)

i suggest going to crucial and using their ram selector, they usually have good prices and they will tell you exactly which speed you need. the drive is something i'm wondering about myself :-P.

os install is a breeze, i'm not sure what would be involved in dual booting, but osx itself is so easy to install a brick could do it.

that hard drive should work just fine in an ibook. i will say that up until the isight imacs, the ibooks has been the [H]ardest apple computer to take apart and reassemble (correctly). While a 7200rpm drive is going to yield a smallish performance benefit, it may be worth it to you to save your time/energy/warranty and simply get a larger drive BTO from apple.

A guide for removing the ibook hard drive can be found here; http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/83.14.1.html

I have that same exact Stick O' RAM, and it works just fine (1 gig Kingmax). Fuck Crucial, they're overpriced. Any 2.5" hard drive will work just fine as well, but replacing it is a lot of work, and if you break anything, you're SOL.

The computer comes with an install DVD. ;) Installation is a snap.

Hm, maybe I'll just skip the HDD upgrade since this will only really be used for email and such. Is the RAM install difficult?

I wouldn't exactly call it difficult. It's a hazzle, though. You have to pop up the keyboard, and that thing feels really flimsy. Then you have to unscrew a heatshield or whatever it is, and then you can pop in the RAM and put everything back.

Back