I want to go dual-core without losing speed from my single core

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Currently running a 3.2GHz Prescott, occasionally overclocked to 3.6GHz. I keep a semi-decent gaming card around so I can enjoy games when I do get to play, but for the most part it's mostly internet/word and audio/video encoding. I want SMP on a budget. If I go Intel, it's going to require DDR2 and PCI-Express. Way out of budget. If I go with this motherboard, all I'm going to need is the mobo and CPU, I can keep everything else (hard drives, memory, video card).

I understand dual-core versus single-core, and I want dual-core. What processor gets me dual-core without losing any single-core performance (coming from a 3.2GHz P4)? Assume no overclocking.

Hmm...would an Opteron 165 do it? I can get the processor and motherboard for $350 shipped (after Monarch [H]otdeal). Yeah?

What kind of overclock could I expect with that board and my SI-120/Panaflo?

InorganicMatter said:
Yeah. I'm sitting here thinking: we're so close to Conroe/AM2, why would I do this?

I would wait, but thats just me. Save the money and get something killer in 6 months to a year.

Once Conroe and AM2 are out, everyone will be waiting for AMD's Conroe killer, then of course quad cores are coming out, so people will of course wait for that too. There is always something to wait for. If your on a budget, you may also want to consider the premium price of new techonology. I dont see AMD's AM2 being that expensive, because of the rather minimal performance increase, but conroe should definitly cost a few bucks.

Just food for thought

btw rumor has it Intel has new chips without a FSB coming out in 2008 may be worth waiting for (sorry couldnt resist ) :D

I would wait, but thats just me. Save the money and get something killer in 6 months to a year.

Forget the waiting theory crap!! It's always going to be like that, take the last six months to a year back [nov 2005] X1300 v 6800GT it's always catch up !!!
and remember....Once Conroe and AM2 are out, everyone will be waiting for AMD's Conroe killer....
THE ONLY KILLER THING ABOUT CONROE will be the PRICE !!!!!
and i thought my FX60 was pricey....

Your Prescott 3.2Ghx /200 DDR400 is alot like my 3.4Ghz intel till i went dual core.........
I upped it from Intel after years [intel 3.4Ghz socket775] to AMD duel core and what a diffrence!!!!

You have to remember that the AMD processors run like RICS processors [slower at core but overall faster per instruction than intel]

AMD use to have a bad rep. but over the last 5 years have become the leading Gaming processor, without a dought.

AMD duel cores run system memory in 2 banks 1/2 fore core1 and 1/2 for core2 so going 2GB is a good idea !! 1gb per core.... THE AMD duel core makes my old 3.4 intel look like a lemming..
and i love intel [for over 10 years with a 6 month break for an AMD driven Cryotech back in 1999] :eek:

My AMD duel core runs like a TVR and what stunned me was, with a Zalman CNPS9500 LED cooler on it it runs 41 c - 46 c [off load / onload] which is cool...

If i was you I would get AMD duel core
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=236&chart=68&model2=221

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (Socket 939) approx £258.44 Including VAT at 17.5% uk / $305 US that would blow the intel 3.2 preformance as the comparison on toms shows...and you keep your DDR400 too

InorganicMatter said:
Yeah. I'm sitting here thinking: we're so close to Conroe/AM2, why would I do this?

Because if you wait for Conroe or AM2, you'll have to buy a whole new system, and that doesn't make any sense if you are satisfied with your gaming performance.

Your upgrade can reuse your AGP video card (pick up an old cheap Socket 939 AGP board...you'll have to toss it anyway with your next real upgrade, whether you go AM2 or Conroe, or something newer).

Reuse the ram and all the components. The only things you need to buy are motherboard and CPU.

I'd pick up the X2 3800+. It is the slowest dual-core processor, but it is as fast (if not faster) than your P4 3.2

defaultluser said:
Because if you wait for Conroe or AM2, you'll have to buy a whole new system, and that doesn't make any sense if you are satisfied with your gaming performance.

Your upgrade can reuse your AGP video card (pick up an old cheap Socket 939 AGP board...you'll have to toss it anyway with your next real upgrade, whether you go AM2 or Conroe, or something newer).

Reuse the ram and all the components. The only things you need to buy are motherboard and CPU.

I'd pick up the X2 3800+. It is the slowest dual-core processor, but it is as fast (if not faster) than your P4 3.2

And the new ones overclock quite well, I have mine at [email protected] volts, beats the Pentium D 3Ghz in everything.

Back