I want to make my own DVD menus

Dr3wStx

Limp Gawd
I have a collection of AVI files that I would like to put on a dvd, and make a menu so I can select the avi that I want. Much like episode selection on a simpsons DVD or something.

Any ideas on what to use?

I am quite fond of Pinnacle Studio 8 - I got it free with my digital camcorder purchase but I think it usually runs for about $100 otherwise.

You could use DVD Lab. Its a great program,easy to use, and makes some really professional looking menus.I use it to make DVDs of my fav TV shows that I have recorded, similar to what I think you want to do. However, you will have to encode your video into MPEG format to use it (and that can be a lengthy process). As it does not have a built in encoder, you will have to use something like TMPGEnc or TMPGEnc Express to encode. I reccomend the express version. If this sounds like what you are looking to do, let me know and I can post some more detailed instructions.

DVD Lab Page Here
TMPGEnc Page Here
Good Video Help Page
:D

Nero Vision Express makes it REALLY easy to do this, even nested menus.

Nero Ultra Edition (includes Nero Vision Express 3) is the best $99 you'll ever spend!

Encore is $549 retail. There might be a student version. Encore is capable of making pretty much any DVD menu. It is a true, production tool, with a production tool learning curve and a production tool price :)

The earlier suggestions are good. You might also look into Adobe Premiere Elements. All the less expensive options take the template approach. You pick the basic layouts and then customize from there.

almost all adobe software is worth the price. I bought mine with student discount, did some authoring jobs and payed it off easily.

the learning curve aint much.. in my opinion, cause it didnt take me long to learn myself.

greyghost said:
I am quite fond of Pinnacle Studio 8 - I got it free with my digital camcorder purchase but I think it usually runs for about $100 otherwise.

i have a couple AVI's and tried putting them together and making a menu in Pinnacle Studio 9 but it says the file format is not supported. How are you suppose to do this? Any tutorials?

Check out the sticky in this forum. Prepare to have fun and learn!

BTW, an avi file is really just a container file. The extension tells Windows what the basic type of file is, then the opening application looks within the file to get the true file type, such as Xvid, DIVX, AVI, WMV.

Get a utility called GSpot which can tell you what the video format really is. It can even tell you if you have a matching codec.

FWIW, I have had problems transcoding DIVX and Xvid to DVD using MovieFactory2, Nero and Pinnacle. Usually the audio gets all dorked up, but there have been a number of other failure modes. I've had the best luck using TMPGEnc.

GSpot

TMPGEnc

Back