I want to start WCing!

Kazappin

Gawd
I'd like to start watercooling but really have no idea where to start. I read a few FAQs but all I really know is simple stuff like how a radiator works, how splitting the tubes is beneficial to cool more than a few PC parts, etc. Anyone have a really good FAQ/Walkthrough, or would just like to tell me all the parts in a setup and what they do? I'd be very grateful :)

Is it better to buy a kit from somewhere like petras, or buy parts piece by piece? I'm not looking for hardcore OCing, I just want to cut down on PC noise.

Hopefully one of you can help me :)

Thanks!

The first thing I would do (sorry this isn't a simple howto) is to define the parameters of the system:
How much are you willing to pay?
How many parts (at how many total Watts) are you cooling?
Are you overclocking? How much?
Do you care about noise?
Try to define what it is that you're trying to achieve, and what you are willing to commit to the process. Need a silent cooling system for a single processor and don't want to put in special effort? You could probably do the whole reserator prebuilt system. Wanna cool a tri-SLI system motherboard and dual procs and want to make it a project build? Then we can get in to dual radiator setups and pump efficiency and the impact of flow rate and fin density.
As a neat HOWTO example with lots of stuff to learn (even if I don't agree with a lot of what they say) check out this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-water-cooling-101,1055.html

I'm willing to spend around 100, I will have more money after christmas though :)

I'm going to be cooling a Q6600 and probably a 9800gt, in addition to one hard drive and DVD drive. I have a 500w zalman PSU.

I'm going to overclock my q6600 to 3.2 or 3.6 (I already have it at 3.2 on air) depending on noise and temps.

I do care a bit about noise, but not way too much. I already have 4 yate loon mediums running at the lowest RPM they can go via a fan controller, and 3 stock cooler master fans. That along with a AC freezer 7 pro and a semi-obnoxious video card fan. I'm hoping that I can cut out a bit of noise.

I'm willing to commit lots of my time, but maybe not the equivalent in money. I'm just looking for a simple yet efficient system that can slightly overclock a CPU and cool a GPU all while keeping the noise to a reasonable level.

Read the how to, really helped with my understanding. So the only parts I raelly need for a setup are a rad, fan shroud, pump, t-line, tubing, and water blocks?

Im not no wc expert but a decent system would cost more than 100. Correct me if im wrong.

Either way, im thinking of wcing as well. Gonna wait when my new e7200 comes and decide then ill decide to pull the trigger.

Petras has a good kit for $129.99. Still would have to buy a block for that 9800gt. I really don't think a 9800gt needs a vga block, and for your system and budget, just get that kit and buy a block for your vid card when you get a little more money.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecod4.html

Wow, that would be a smoking deal if they were in stock. For that price it would be hard not to reccomend this kit to anyone interested.

OP, it seems like you may be trying to water cool simply for the experience, or the obdvious bling factor - I think you should reconsider.

The performance you want, with good temperatures and low noise can easily be had with good air cooling components.

...but if you're dead set on the h2o, with your budget, I suggest you just start buying one part at a time (and possibly used parts), saving the CPU block for last. That way you get a real nice setup. It's not worth doing if you're doing it half assed, and with a $100 budget you're definately not out of the half assed criteria.

BTW, that how-to is pretty old, maybe check up with Google.

You'll need:

Block
Pump
Radiator (typically, people don't use shrouds any more, unless for some reason you
want to use a heater core)
tubing (one size smaller tubing than barbs and you don't need clamps)
T adapter
Fans

I remember I used to be able to get a top-of-the-line setup for $125, but that was back in 370/462 days!

Yeah, I'd definitely say your price point is not gonna happen. I'm already down over $200 on a CPU only loop, buying used parts where possible. To cool CPU + GPU you're probably looking at $200 minimum, and more than likely $300. GPU uniblocks are generally >$100 and CPU only coolers are ~$50 plus whatever you spend to cool mosfets + RAM. CPU blocks run about $40, pumps run $40-$75, t-line is $1.50, radiators run from $20 for a heater core to $200 for a 4x120 radiator. Check this thread out (it's mine ^_^)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1368308

My setup cost me about a good 360, and it's pretty standard stuff.

used MCR320 with 3 med yate loons, 55 shipped
Swiftech GTZ
DDC3.2 Pump
XPSC Res Top for DDC3.2 with bitspower compression fittings
15 feet of Duralene 1/2" x 3/4"
4 bitspower compression fittings
kaze fan controller
1x scythe-flex
1x tube of MX-2
A tube cutter

Total shipped for that above minus the rad was 318. You could take out 15 bucks from buying the tube cutter, another 15 for the scythe flex, 12 for the tube of mx-2, and 35 if you already have a fan controller. Would still be around 250 or so, add in the rad and it's about 300 still. Nowhere near 100. Though I would recommend Petra's D4 kit if you wanted a decent low budget loop.

I already have fans an a fan controller.

I only have 100 to spend now, but as I said, after Christmas, I'll have quite a bit more headroom. So the Petra's kit is the sure way to go for someone like me?

It looks like you want to cool about 170W, you should be able to keep that at a 10C delta with the MCR220 with the yates at 7 volts (which is nearly off.) So, radiator is a check
The Laing D4 pump is an old and loud pump, but should be sufficient to maintain the requisite 1-1.5 GPM of flow.
For your requirements the fuzion v1 should be fine. It's older, and it's going to increase your processor temp delta by a couple of degrees, but like I said, it's probably enough for your purposes.
Be aware that if you opt for the GPU water block (the fuzion GFX) on the PTS page (which will work for your card) you will need to find a separate way to cool the power control and the RAM on the video card, as the block only covers the GPU itself. d-tek releases big unibody heatsinks for them that you might want to check out, otherwise you just need to get a bunch of little heatsinks you can put on the mosfets and whatnot. Bear in mind that your processor can't take much above 60C, but your video card can do 105C.

In short, yes, I do think you will be successful with that kit. Make sure it's actually cheaper to buy the parts as a package, then go ahead when you can.

Back