I will actually buy Vista... maybe...

syntx

Limp Gawd
I am a big Linux user (Gentoo) with no bias towards it. I love Windows XP too, I don't hate Microsoft. I just love Linux for what it is.

I tested different Vista builds and I am confident that Vista will become MS best OS after some years of maturity. Now, I have never in 27 years of having a computer bought an OS or even a major piece of software except some games. Well actually that's not true, I did buy some software but I felt cheated by them, feeling they weren't worth the price. I bought Adobe Premiere and let me tell you, it's not worth the price they are asking for. I bought BF2 and while I enjoy playing it when it behaves and when I can find a server where there are no cheaters... I feel I paid too much for beta software or low quality software...

Hey I am not encouraging piracy, I think it's wrong. I am not defending myself trying to prove I had the right to get commercial softwares for free. What I am saying is, I used Windows XP for many many years now and unlike other softwares it is worth its price.

I am a software engineer and I know how much time and money a company spends in making a piece of software. There are no good reason to steal them but if company would stop releasing beta and/or incomplete softwares maybe there would be more people buying them instead of feeling like they just got ripped off. That's how I felt all the time. I am however a poweruser and as such demand high quality software and software that works as described.

Vista is special. It's an OS which will last me 5 years minimum for sure. It will not become obsolete tomorrow. It will somewhat evolve (SPx packs).

I wonder how many people feel cheated as I do. Maybe not all the time. Maybe just often enough.

Well, I use Vista 5728 right now and I can tell you. I love it much more than the Windows XP Beta phase. Windows XP was a bit clumsy back in 2001 for me to use however that was understandable since it was a big jump from 98 to XP (I didn't have 2000). Functionalities were different, new functions were introduced etc. Vista provides more to that in my opinion. It'll take some getting used to such as I couldn't find the "Add/Remove Program" functions in Vista for a bit until it was renamed to "Program and Features".

However several things that annoys me about Vista is the way you arrange your browsing methods with the columns since they automatically do that for you and arrange stupid columns that are frankly useless to you. The other thing is the Photo Viewer Microsoft provides and when you add photo's to it, it attempts to categorize all the pictures on the side column but fails miserably.

I'm liking Vista as well and I too run both linux and xp

... vista kind of assumes that you are retarded tho , and tries to do everything for you ..that part is a smidge annoying.

It also seems to find its way out to the internet just fine not following exactly what your dhcp server is telling it what it should be.

It also finds other vista boxen on the network about 3 times as fast as say an xp/2k machine or a samba share.

There have been a few hiccups on running games and what not , but I think its more due to the "1.0" rated boxes I have been throwing vista on (AMD XP/Intel P4 w/512megs ram, GeForce 3's to Radeon 9800's for video cards.) A full gig of ram would prolly eleviate most of the hanging of some apps.

ThreeDee said:
... vista kind of assumes that you are retarded tho , and tries to do everything for you ..that part is a smidge annoying.
Wow, that's exactly why I love Gentoo. I feel MS doesn't want to give me options. Why isn't the installer offering me a choice between normal install and advanced? Why can't I select the components I want to install? Weak.

syntx said:
Now, I have never in 27 years of having a computer bought an OS or even a major piece of software except some games.

If you're over 30 and you -still- don't pay for software, maybe you need to grow up or convert to Open Source. There's only so far you can rationalize away not paying for it - if it's not worth paying for, it's not worth using. Get over yourself.

ameoba said:
If you're over 30 and you -still- don't pay for software, maybe you need to grow up or convert to Open Source. There's only so far you can rationalize away not paying for it - if it's not worth paying for, it's not worth using. Get over yourself.

Nice :p

Back