i would like to game at 1600x1200 or

dogbyte_13

[H]ard|Gawd
As the thread says i would like to game at 1600x1200 or its wide screen equivalent, with either medium or high res textures, i already have a core 2 duo 4400 and 2 gigs of ram, most likely gonna get a shuttle P35, i am leaning towards a Radeon 3870, but the Nvidia G92 seems nice also, so which one would give better performance? also im using XP till vista has gotten a little more solid. any suggestions?

As the thread says i would like to game at 1600x1200 or its wide screen equivalent, with either medium or high res textures, i already have a core 2 duo 4400 and 2 gigs of ram, most likely gonna get a shuttle P35, i am leaning towards a Radeon 3870, but the Nvidia G92 seems nice also, so which one would give better performance? also im using XP till vista has gotten a little more solid. any suggestions?

The 8800gt or gts will beat the 3870. Also vista is pretty dam solid. :)

Hmm with games being more demanding a lot faster then they used to, and such a high resolution that is so dependant on the card i dont think you will get that long out of it, depending on what games you play but a 8800gt 512mb would be the way to go.

i wish, more like 2-4 years, sadly

lol, your sad because you don't have the addiction like the rest of us?

"ok" I said to myself last year at x-mas "this is it, no more money into this build, I'm already over budget... oh but but vista wants four gigs and its just so cheap :(... fine, another $100 on another 2 gigs of ram... but my hard drives begining to fuck up and it doesnt perform well and i want a pink one... alright alright fine I'll get a 7200.11 and then thats it!...

aww but look how easy it would be for me to get an 8800GT... I`ve already got a buyer for my GTS T.T``

donno what I`m gonna end up telling myself for that last one, I`ll probably cave though...

anyways, back on topic:

yeah, the 8800GT will outperform the HD3870 across the board but its usually a few bucks more expensive to. If your going P35 and you wanna futureproof your plans with crossfire, then you could pick up an HD3870 with the plan to pick another when the performance gets dumpster like, but let me explain how this works:

The general rule of thumb is crossfire and SLI are for people who want the best, right now, and are willing to drop upward of $600, right now, to achieve it. If you plan on going crossfire in 6 months, don`t bother, as in 6 months there will be a cheaper and more powerful single card solution. That said I still think its a good idea to keep the crossfire or SLI option open, so that maybe a series or two down the road, you can pick up a second HD3870 for $60 on e-bay. I`ll qualify this situation by offering you one from the past: if you still had a 6800, and had an SLI ready mobo, would you buy one of these 6800s for $70 (wtf my keyboards messed, my question mark keys gone insane, it keeps wanting to give me É... edit: ohh its my java...) seems like a good idea to me.

Also vista is pretty dam solid. :)

whew..now that is funny. I about fell out of my chair. It may be "solid" but it is definitely less user friendly than XP. I know because out of all our clients we get more calls from those running Vista than XP with "issues"

whew..now that is funny. I about fell out of my chair. It may be "solid" but it is definitely less user friendly than XP. I know because out of all our clients we get more calls from those running Vista than XP with "issues"

Vista is rock solid, just like every single OS after windows ME, its just the 3rd party code that makes it instable.

i wish, more like 2-4 years, sadly

In that case I would either get teh 8800GTS 512MB or a 8800 GTX. Mainly because if you'll be using these cards for 2 years or so, then get the best one you can afford.

go g92 8800 gts 512 - it'll keep ya happy for a year maybe more,
then in a year consider sli, -
pick up a second 8800 gts 512, for dirt cheap.

so just make sure you get an sli mobo and pair up for your next upgrade

which SLI mobo? 680i? 780? and really 2x8800GTS or GT? and what about 1 9800GTX when it comes out?

Vista is rock solid, just like every single OS after windows ME, its just the 3rd party code that makes it instable.
Exactly. Even XP barely ever has problems. I do a lot stuff with my computer and the only times XP crashed or froze it was due to hard drive problems (overheating video card, etc.) or third-party software. Most times programs can crash, but Windows never does. Maybe people confuse their game crashing with Vista/XP being unstable.

My only problem with Vista is that gaming performance is slower than in XP using the same settings. That alone keeps me an XP user.

Anyway, I'd also suggest the 8800GT (with the new coolers!). It's a great card and plays all games very well at 1600x1200 and more except for Crysis. Seeing as new games won't get noticibly better-looking anytime soon (nothing will beat Crysis for at least 1-2 years and even when they do, they'll use smaller, less interactive levels so they won't be as demanding) you should be good for at least that long...and if anything you'll have to lower your resolution eventually. For $250 you can't really ask for more.

This is a no brainer... go with the G92.

Update... go with any G92... whatever your budget allows. Any G92 is better than your current choice, and will suit all of your requirements.

Just wait for the new video cards coming in Feb or March, you'll be glad u did. ;)

I game at 16x12 and the 8800GTS 512 seems to be working out really nicely for me. The 8800GT is almost as good, but I like the better cooling of the GTS, and the way the prices are inflated on 8800GTs it wasn't that much of a step up in price. No sense waiting for the next-gen as the only near-term card is the GX2, cards of which type have poor track records, the real next-gen cards will not be out for a while.

I honestly wouldnt take a GX2 even if i could get it for $200. I hated the 7950gx2.

cant you afford to upgrade your gfx card only for once a year? you dont have to get the very best card, get a 8800gt now and a year later get the next best bang for buck card and follow that cycle. you dont need to build a whole new rig every year to keep up. games are more gpy dependent then cpu. just get a real good cpu like a q6600 and that will last you at least 3 years without it being a bottleneck for your system

cant you afford to upgrade your gfx card only for once a year? you dont have to get the very best card, get a 8800gt now and a year later get the next best bang for buck card and follow that cycle. you dont need to build a whole new rig every year to keep up. games are more gpy dependent then cpu. just get a real good cpu like a q6600 and that will last you at least 3 years without it being a bottleneck for your system

kinda hard to afford a new card every year when you are married have a kid and pay for 2 cars, insurance and what not :) thats why i might do a SLI system and be good for awhile, at least 2 years, because in all honesty alot of the games coming out dont seem that good, plus i really only play WoW and probably gonna play Warhammer online once it comes out.

not to mention you can always sell your current vid card to offset the cost of a new card somewhat. Being able to recoup even a small portion of money on upgrades is what helps most folks continue to do so. Either current gen card be it ati or Nvidia will suit your needs at current. Having the ability to go crossfire or SLI down the road for cheap is a great idea as someone stated previously above. How big is your wallet vs. insatiable hardware appetite? :D

not to mention you can always sell your current vid card to offset the cost of a new card somewhat. Being able to recoup even a small portion of money on upgrades is what helps most folks continue to do so. Either current gen card be it ati or Nvidia will suit your needs at current. Having the ability to go crossfire or SLI down the road for cheap is a great idea as someone stated previously above. How big is your wallet vs. insatiable hardware appetite? :D

wallet vs. insatiable hardware appetite, lol, i have a wife that prevents that :D. If i were single and living with cheap rent and such well id have a 5-6k computer :)

kinda hard to afford a new card every year when you are married have a kid and pay for 2 cars, insurance and what not :) thats why i might do a SLI system and be good for awhile, at least 2 years, because in all honesty alot of the games coming out dont seem that good, plus i really only play WoW and probably gonna play Warhammer online once it comes out.

well im gunna be in the same situation as u in about years time so im gearing up to build one hefty rig that can help me survive and go on gaming for 3 years at least

I'm using an 8800gt on a 22" wide screen monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

It's been a while since I've played WOW but I would expect it to run beautifully on my set up.

I did mod the video card with a high end heat sink/fan which knocked 20+ degrees off of my load temps.

Back