i5 2500k overclock attempt, pc stops working

So i attempted to overclock my i5 2500k to 4ghz with a corsair h60 cooler with expectations of everything going fine but after browsing internet to find prime95 to test stability my pc, windows crashed by locking up but playing the sound very slowly and distorted until i turned it off with power button and now wont start. No screens turn on so i cant tell if its making it to the bios. the gpu fan will begin to spin up rather fast part way thru then slows down again and the pc turns off.

This isn't quite what i would have expected to happen. Any ideas of whats happened or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

And if it helps my pc is i5 2500k, MSI p67a-g43 motherboard, amd radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 8 gigs of 1333 ram and a 500watt power supply and 3 hard drives and a SSD

Last edited:
just did. nothing changed :/ thanks for recommendation tho

Did you follow the precise instructions detailed in the manual? Sometimes you just need to pull the CMOS battery out for awhile and come back to it. I'd leave it out a couple hours at least. Just to be sure.

Try Dan's advice. Also, If you aren't getting video, try using onboard or swapping the card. Maybe it was damaged somehow. If that doesn't work, strip down the system to the minimum components needed to run it to see if any one of those items is causing the issue. Take out the video card, extra ram, extra drives, and any other misc components installed. Helps me isolate the problem.

I will try both of those, and there is a clear cmos button on motherboard so i did that ill try the battery now. and if that doesnt work ill try stripping down and getting an old gpu out

I will try both of those, and there is a clear cmos button on motherboard so i did that ill try the battery now. and if that doesnt work ill try stripping down and getting an old gpu out

Did you hold the clear CMOS button down for any length of time. You typically need at least 8 seconds to actually clear the CMOS.

Did you hold the clear CMOS button down for any length of time. You typically need at least 8 seconds to actually clear the CMOS.
I held it down for 15 but the manual says the pc should boot up when it was done but it never did so i wasnt sure if it worked

Make sure there is no power to te board when you clear the CMOS. Btw what power supply is it?

When i unplug my gpu and try and run my computer just idles there. so would this mean its my psu? or gpu?

It sounds more like a PSU problem if the system just powers off while the GPU is connected. However also be aware that the motherboard can be responsible for the same symptom. Failed motherboards are more likely than PSUs.

What brand and model is your PSU?

Uhh guys.... The P67 doesn't have onboard video. If he disconnects his GPU it won't POST.

Uhh guys.... The P67 doesn't have onboard video. If he disconnects his GPU it won't POST.

Depends. Is he unplugging the power for it or removing the card entirely? If it's the latter you are correct. He'll get a no video beep code. If he just pulls the power (the impression I was getting) then that's different. It should POST fine. But the card may alarm that it has insufficient power.

sorry should have been more clear i took out the gpu because when i would just unplug its power there would be on loud continuous beep. and when the gpu is out completely it runs very quietly but i can see if its doing anything. thank you for all the help so far. and unfortunately i have no spare parts lying around trying to get ahold of friend who would but seeing as he is on vacation i probly wont be able to get any any thoughts of what i should do? also unfortunately my power supply is a rocket fish 500watt rocket fish psu. its worked fine for the last year and half tho :/

Last edited:
Not that the PS is the culprit for not starting (could be) but looks like you might have been stressing it with your overclock attempt, especially with all you have going on. Next step is to test the boot drive on a separate system to confirm it works and unplug all the extras, just have the min needed to boot.

The Rocketfish 500W is not a sufficient power supply for your system. I wouldn't trust it and I suggest replacing it.

EDIT
sorry should have been more clear i took out the gpu because when i would just unplug its power there would be on loud continuous beep.

That's because there's no power, and that's normal

and when the gpu is out completely it runs very quietly but i can see if its doing anything./

Motherboards will not POST without video. You will probably just hear idle fans. This is also normal.

I'm willing to bet this is your PSU causing the problem, hopefully it didn't take your motherboard with it.

EDIT2:

Currently Newegg is running a promo on this Corsair TX650 PSU For $60 after a MIR this is an insanely good deal and is a reputable power supply here on these forums. If you'd like some further suggestions, head over to the General [H]ardware board and ask away. We'd be more than happy to help you.

Last edited:
The Rocketfish 500W is not a sufficient power supply for your system. I wouldn't trust it and I suggest replacing it.

EDIT

That's because there's no power, and that's normal

Motherboards will not POST without video. You will probably just hear idle fans. This is also normal.

I'm willing to bet this is your PSU causing the problem, hopefully it didn't take your motherboard with it.

Agreed 100% on everything in this post.

And to add, I've accidentally left the power disconnected from NVIDIA cards, and they'll often actually still get me into Windows. They'll alarm like crazy and then the driver will display warnings, but you can boot the system on some cards without supplemental power connected to them. I thought this is what the OP was trying to do. It wouldn't stress the PSU as much. Really a volt-meter would help, or another PSU. And I hate to say it because most people are too quick on this forum to scream "YOUR PSU IS BAD." That's probably the case here.

Last edited:
Agreed 100% on everything in this post.
"YOUR PSU IS BAD." That's probably the case here.

Yea I was trying to be careful and avoid that. Just wanted the OP to know the requirements of POST and how it works.

But giant red flag when I saw a 2500k overclock and an OC'd 6950 on a "500W" Rocketfish PSU.

Yea I was trying to be careful and avoid that. Just wanted the OP to know the requirements of POST and how it works.

But giant red flag when I saw a 2500k overclock and an OC'd 6950 on a "500W" Rocketfish PSU.

Definitely a huge red flag. In fact one of the few times your system will pull the maximum wattage of every piece of hardware is during POST. It rarely can any other time. And when you overclock, your processor's TDP goes out the window. So what might have been borderline for stock operations wasn't going to cut it when the OP dramatically increased the power draw of the CPU.

And from what I remember about Rocketfish PSUs is the 3.3v fluctuation being terrible, let alone if your taxing the already minuscule 12v on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this.

And from what I remember about Rocketfish PSUs is the 3.3v fluctuation being terrible, let alone if your taxing the already minuscule 12v on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this.

I don't recall the precise details, I just recall them being fairly bad and the 500watt rating being little more than wishful thinking on the part of Rocketfish.

I think something in his system died regardless he did OC a. Why you get no post can have various causes.
Try first replace graphics, than PSU. if nothing happens your board is dead. If system is not booting at all its board or more rarerly cpu.

So i replaced my psu with an Antec 750watt and i have same results as before. working on borrowing a different gpu to test with. so my mobo might be dead? seems odd to me it would be my graphics card.

So i replaced my psu with an Antec 750watt and i have same results as before. working on borrowing a different gpu to test with. so my mobo might be dead? seems odd to me it would be my graphics card.

it is more likely to be a board but I had cases where computer refused to boot due to a faulty card and even faulty floppy drive so its better to try all parts

so i switched to an old phenom processor and mobo that i borrowed and my gpu, ram, gpu, and boot drive. which means its likely my motherboard, right?

Are you using the old PSU with that? Or the new PSU? You may want to try the old PSU with that AMD, just to eliminate things. It does sound like the motherboard is dead, but the question is, is the PSU also dead, and did it take out the board with it?

Remove the battery on the mb, put it back on after a minute to be 99.999% sure the CMOS is cleared, then try the board one last time. I'd also contact MSI about getting the RMA processes started. In addition, can you test the CPU on another MB?

Remove the battery on the mb, put it back on after a minute to be 99.999% sure the CMOS is cleared, then try the board one last time. I'd also contact MSI about getting the RMA processes started. In addition, can you test the CPU on another MB?
dont have another mobo to test with, and i already did that with the cmos but for overnight just to be sure and it still didnt work.

I'm just curious, but when an overtaxed power supply goes up, does it normally take the board with it? I'd imagine a fuse would trip and it would just shut off, instead of going, "here's 20 volts DC on your 3 volt rail, kthxbye."

I'm just curious, but when an overtaxed power supply goes up, does it normally take the board with it? I'd imagine a fuse would trip and it would just shut off, instead of going, "here's 20 volts DC on your 3 volt rail, kthxbye."

The rocketfish PSUs are bottom of the barrel, they were not made to power setups like the op has.

Back