i7 2600k @ 4.42GHz and H70, too hot?

Running my system at full tilt with prime 95 my cpu temps steadily climb until they hit 85C and i simply turn off Prime 95... i really don't think the temps should be that high. What's going on here? For the record, it never errored or anything in Prime 95 but it only took maybe 2 minutes to hit 85C before i killed the program.

Is it just my CPU or is possibly something else causing this?

temps - the current idle temps are listed here so i idle around 30C
temps.png

crappy cellphone pic - the fans are mounted push-pull, sucking in air from outside the back of the case as recommended by the manual
IMAG0099.jpg

Ummm... the H70 is not as great a cooler as the hype surrounding it. If you got it thinking you'll get great temps, better temps than air cooling, then I regret to inform you that you're sorely mistaken.

However, having said that, your temps do seem high for an H70 at those clock speeds, I think they run cooler than that. Of course, it's all YMMV with what processor you get.

The only thing you can do is try reseating the waterblock on the processor, and redoing your thermal paste. If that does nothing, then either you have a bad H70, or you got unlucky and your processor just runs hot. At which point you need to reduce your overclock/voltage settings.

1) make sure you install the pump on CPU or PWM fan header, not on chassis fan header
2) dissable fan Quiet feature in the BIOS
3) make sure the pump/block proper installed
4) fans orientation as intake yield better perform than as exhaust

H70 likes high flow fans.

Good Luck!

1. Tidy cables :p

I first thought that it might have been down to the position of the intake above that card. But that wouldn't cause that much rise in tempretures. You could try again with the case lain on it's side and see if that makes any difference.

It looks like it might be the installation of the block. Take it off, clean it and remount.

As you probably know, the luck of the draw means some CPUs will naturally be hotter than others of the same make/model. You were nowhere near thermal cutoff however.

Few things you can do -

1. Get better fans
2. Lap it
3. Place it somewhere with better airflow or move the case away from the wall if it's close

Things to note -

1. You're running 1.32 volts through it w/ HT on
2. You have a 580 right under the rad
3. Seems like case airflow is cramped, even though it's intaking air the hot air might not have anywhere to go

It would appear that clicking on "OC Tuner" in the bios was the cause of the extra heat. I'm still new to this UEFI bios. Found out i can leave everything on auto and just adjust the ratio. I think OC Tuner was setting the CPU voltage too high for the given overclock, hence the extra heat.

Few things you can do -

1. Get better fans
2. Lap it - Not gonna happen
3. Place it somewhere with better airflow or move the case away from the wall if it's close- It's in the only place it can be, it's about 2 feet from the wall

Things to note -

1. You're running 1.32 volts through it w/ HT on- See my notes about OC Tuner
2. You have a 580 right under the rad- For this testing, that wouldn't have mattered, i was putting no stress on the video card
3. Seems like case airflow is cramped, even though it's intaking air the hot air might not have anywhere to go- For this testing, the side of the case is open

This is after 10 minutes, LONG LONG after the other settings would have spiked at 85C and i turned them off (anything higher than 85C worries me). I have not changed ANYTHING except to turn off OC Tuner and simply adjust the cpu ratio by hand.
temps02.png

1) make sure you install the pump on CPU or PWM fan header, not on chassis fan header
2) dissable fan Quiet feature in the BIOS
3) make sure the pump/block proper installed
4) fans orientation as intake yield better perform than as exhaust

H70 likes high flow fans.

Good Luck!

1. The manual stated to just plug it into a fan header, what do you mean by PWM fan header?
2. I have not touched this setting, the H70 is plenty loud though... if this is the "quiet" setting i wonder how loud it would actually be!
3. It is, i made sure the orientation of the rad didn't matter before settling on the current orientation so that i could close my case
4. It is intake...

I'm confuzzled. If your first SS it says the VID is 1.32 then in your second it says 1.376. Maybe CoreTemp is just weird, I don't know.

I made the 580 comment due to the fact that if it cpu gets that hot on a stress test then during gaming your temps won't be that great either. They might not be as high, but they'll be up there.

I was recommending lapping the H70, not the proc. The gains are pretty good for temp drops.

I'm confuzzled. If your first SS it says the VID is 1.32 then in your second it says 1.376. Maybe CoreTemp is just weird, I don't know.

I made the 580 comment due to the fact that if it cpu gets that hot on a stress test then during gaming your temps won't be that great either. They might not be as high, but they'll be up there.

I was recommending lapping the H70, not the proc. The gains are pretty good for temp drops.

I think Core Temp is just futzing on the voltages, the ones from CPU Z which i included in the second shot, seem more inline with what i was seeing in the bios.

Back