i7 860 vs i7 920

not much difference between the 860 and the 920. i just built a rig with the 860 as a cruncher because i only plan to have a mild overclock. 860's consume less power and the overall cost of the CPU, mobo, and memory is a little cheaper for almost no performance difference. however, if i plan on OC'ing above 4.0ghz, then i would have gotten the 920. the 860 could also get 4ghz, but not with reasonable voltages and power consumption would end up being higher than a 4ghz 920. any clocks below 3.6ghz, then 860 is more power efficient. overall, my reason for the 860 was value for the money, power consumption, and how much i planned on OC'ing. your reasons may vary, so if you're able to spend a little more for the overall platform, don't care much about electricity, or plan to have high clocks, then go with the 920.

This is [H]ardForum, not [E]conoForum :D

Who cares about less power with a 860, a 920 will prob cost literally like 10 bucks more a year to run for the average user at stock. We are talking very low watts on both chips compared to most appliances in your home. Sure if your a cooperate with 5,000 PC the power diff can be significant for a number of reasons.

I wonder how many 860 owners drive a SUV lol

860 owner with an accord here...

only regret is that i didn't wait for the p55a-ud7, but i'd still be waiting:)...

860 owner with an accord here...

only regret is that i didn't wait for the p55a-ud7, but i'd still be waiting:)...

Even if you waited for the ud7, you'd still have regrets when the native SATA6/USB3 solution on the upcoming p65 hits the market :p

I've been debating the same but think I might hold off a tad longer. I was hoping the 930 would make an appearance but I haven't heard anything.

Apprantly the i7 930 is to come out Feb 28th. So I would hold off till then to see what happens with pricing (probably nothing though cause the 920 will just be replaced in terms of its price range slot) and i'm dying to see some OC results on the 930. Is there a Xeon version of the 930 coming out?

I was in the same boat 920 or 860 but I decided 920 becuase I wanted tri channel and it seemed hand in hand on battles between the 2 for gaming, but the 920 seems better in other areas of computing and also the price for a 920 is not much more and seems like a nice overclocker.

While the 6 cored processor will be out on the gulftown platform, it will work its way down to the 1156 group eventually.

You saw this where?

From what i've seen there might be a 32nm quad for lynnfield down the road, but there will never be a 6 core cpu released for it.
I believe when they designed the X58 chipset they had the intention of going 6 cores on the platform which is why its tripple channel as the extra cores will need the bandwidth. A 6 core cpu on the P55 chipset would be great but I don't think it will happen because of the reason stayed above.

an overclocked 860 can actually consume more electricity than a 920 due to needing more voltage to get the same oc's. at stock speeds a 860 cosumes less , but no savings when oc'd

I think that P55 has its spot, but not worth it with 920's at the same pricepoint along with better future.

I bought a P55 and X3440, performance is on par with 920, limited bandwith on pci-e lanes and lack of tri-ch which doesn't neccessarily add too much benefit in performance for the most part.

Makes a great crunching machine, but would not go that route again unless there was a significant difference in price. kind of like buying an 30gb ssd when you can get a larger faster 60gb ssd for $20 more. They both do the same thing and the larger drive is slightly more but with slightly better performance, why wouldn't you go for the later.

Don't get me wrong, P55 is fast and great and offer sub $200 processors, but for most people, I still think 920's or upcoming cpu's is still the way to go for current pricing. I am sure this will change here shortly though. It would be stupid on Intels part to keep these 2 so close together

My main goal is to be able to run one of these at 4GHz, with a Corsair H50 in push-pull config.

I run my 860 at 4Ghz with the H50 in a push/pull with CM R4 fans, needs 1.36 vcore to pass 20 runs of IBT at about 70c.

wow are you sure you're not going overboard with the voltages?

I'm at exactly 4ghz on my 860 at 1.27v ~65C full load (actually right now i'm at 1.25v but haven't done any stability tests with it)

I'm at exactly 4ghz on my 860 at 1.27v ~65C full load (actually right now i'm at 1.25v but haven't done any stability tests with it)

You must be new to overclocking.

Everyone's cores are different some cpu's require more or less voltage even if they are from the same stepping.

I'm running 20 x 200 with my ram at 2000mhz, and trust me I did tons of testing and this is the least vcore I can run for 4Ghz while 100% stable. I can run 3.8Ghz at 1.3 vcore but it takes a nice bump for the additional 200mhz.

Cooler Master 212 CPU cooler

2wna8u1.png

I'm right here also... temps a tad higher though. Well, except I'm 40x Intelburn/24 hr. Prime stable.

I decided to take the cheaper now route. I rebuild every few years, and I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I don't.

And also, without stability testing, the above means nothing. I can boot at 22 x 206 @ 1.24 and surf the web, the second I stress it it's crash city.

I run my 860 at 4Ghz with the H50 in a push/pull with CM R4 fans, needs 1.36 vcore to pass 20 runs of IBT at about 70c.
Nice!

I'm not going to be able to flesh out my 920 build for another couple weeks, so I'm still considering different accessories. Right now I'm leaning towards replacing the H50 with the Noctua NH-D14.

One thing that's starting to bother me about both the P55 and X58 chipsets now is no naitive USB 3.0 support or the new SATA.. Its nice that some board makers are tacking it on, but that has little appeal to me.

One thing that's starting to bother me about both the P55 and X58 chipsets now is no naitive USB 3.0 support or the new SATA.. Its nice that some board makers are tacking it on, but that has little appeal to me.

It's coming. IIRC x58 is just about over a year old chipset, so be patient, by the end of the year x68 with native sata3/usb3 should be here. Intel never rushes these sort of things out, lets others to deal with transition bugs ;) That's why its native solutions are usually superior :D

the 920 pricing is extremely tempting right now. MC has them for 200 which is a steal.

Another thing is if you are going to SLI or Crossfire you would want to go x58. The 16x/16x lanes will benefit over the 8x/8x. Anandtech had an article about multiple gpu setups and scaling with 16x and 8x

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&cm_re=usb_3.0-_-13-128-423-_-Product

is a great x58 motherboard with SLI/crossfire support as well as usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s

Anandtech had an article about multiple gpu setups and scaling with 16x and 8x

Ya, and the difference was negligible at best. I think around 4-7% in most cases, and they said they could not tell any real world difference. Im goin the P55 route, as I have a baby being born within the month and am the breadwinner for the time being. Shit, with the money I save on the mobo and cpu cost, the ram will be almost free. Not to mention I think a 860 should last me 2 years.

It's coming. IIRC x58 is just about over a year old chipset, so be patient, by the end of the year x68 with native sata3/usb3 should be here. Intel never rushes these sort of things out, lets others to deal with transition bugs ;) That's why its native solutions are usually superior :D

You sure about that? Recent articles have mentioned no "6 Series" chipset until Sandy Bridge in Q1 of 2011.

Here's one article:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/05/no-more-desktop-chipsets-intel-year/

Snippet:
"DON’T EXPECT ANYTHING new from Intel this year in terms of desktop chipsets, at least not the way Intel’s current roadmap is planned. We’re going to have to make do with what’s on offer for the rest of 2010, despite some “missing features” in all three of Intel’s latest chipsets. What’s worse is that there’s not much to look forward to next year either, if our sources are correct."

You sure about that? Recent articles have mentioned no "6 Series" chipset until Sandy Bridge in Q1 of 2011.

Here's one article:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/05/no-more-desktop-chipsets-intel-year/

Snippet:
"DON’T EXPECT ANYTHING new from Intel this year in terms of desktop chipsets, at least not the way Intel’s current roadmap is planned. We’re going to have to make do with what’s on offer for the rest of 2010, despite some “missing features” in all three of Intel’s latest chipsets. What’s worse is that there’s not much to look forward to next year either, if our sources are correct."

Of course, no one can be sure about thing. One thing you can be sure about is that there's plenty of contradictory info out there on the net
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-11317-view-Intel-X68-and-ICH11-chipset.html
http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/...urg-refresh-p65-chipset-details-leaked-69332/
So the only thing left for us is to hope and wait :D

Back