i7 930 and Microcenter

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
Well it's rumored the 930 will be about the same cost as a i7 920 when they come out. Microcenter often has the 920 for $200 in store pick-up, and even when it isn't like now at $230, it's still cheaper than everywhere else as far as I know.
Anyone know how long it took MC to reduce the price so much on the 920, and if we could expect a similar deal on the 930 at, or soon after release?

Comment on Fry's Electronics if you care to read:

LOL at Fry's price matching. I was there today returning a Xmas present, they had things clearly posted "We will not be beat! We will match anyone's in-store price"

So I walked up to the counter in the computer department and kindly asked if they would match Microcenter's in store price. Had me talk to the manager there, and asked him, he just flat out said no and went on with his business. Then I turned back to the guy that I originally had been speaking to, and asked him, "Well what is the deal with your price matching, you just straight don't do it?"
He asked me what I was after, and I told him the i7 920. He goes to his computer, looks up the price of $289, and tells me, "That is our price". I just told him, ok I'll go to Microcenter where it's $200 and walked away.

He asked me what I was after, and I told him the i7 920. He goes to his computer, looks up the price of $289, and tells me, "That is our price". I just told him, ok I'll go to Microcenter where it's $200 and walked away.

I guess it depends where you are.. it makes sense if you live in like... WA where we don't have a microcenter and the $200 price is for in-store only.

But if there was a microcenter down the street then it makes sense. But I remember reading the only reason Microcenter sells them for $200 (they lose money when they sell them at $200) but it's in hopes that you'll pickup a motherboard or memory that they'll make some profit off of.

But I remember reading the only reason Microcenter sells them for $200 (they lose money when they sell them at $200) but it's in hopes that you'll pickup a motherboard or memory that they'll make some profit off of.

I wonder how much Micro Center is paying for them. The 1k bulk price for the i7 920 is $284; I would have to assume MC is getting them a lot lower than that to sell them at $200 or even $230. Even if you bought some RAM and a motherboard there, I doubt the profit margin on those things would be even $60 after factoring in credit card fees and other costs of doing business.

I'm also surprised the 930 hasn't appeared yet. That's supposed to be a Q1 2010 chip - and seeing as Intel just released a large batch of chips I'm going to speculate it may be in March when the Gulftowns are also rumored to be launched?

I don't really see anything to be excited about the 930 at this point.
Sure, if its going to replace the 920 with the same price, why not but 1x more multiplier higher than 920 isn't a big deal...
Why couldn't they introduce it last May along with 950 and 975 *shrug*

could be its going to be a 32nm part
would make sense

I just don't want to pickup a 920 so late in the game even if the 930 is only going to be marginally better at about the same price. Guess I'll have to wait to see what MC will offer, if the 930 is like $280+, I would probably just stick with the 920.
Right now at $230 I could get them a little cheaper or the same from ebay without making a 30 minute drive, since I'd have to pay tax at MC. If I see it at $200 again I may just go down there right away and pick one up.

Comment on Fry's Electronics if you care to read:

LOL at Fry's price matching. I was there today returning a Xmas present, they had things clearly posted "We will not be beat! We will match anyone's in-store price"

So I walked up to the counter in the computer department and kindly asked if they would match Microcenter's in store price. Had me talk to the manager there, and asked him, he just flat out said no and went on with his business. Then I turned back to the guy that I originally had been speaking to, and asked him, "Well what is the deal with your price matching, you just straight don't do it?"

Fry's told me they do,but i would need to show them the ad.I know micro center doesn't place their sales on the local newspaper,so it kinda hard to get a price match.They do put out their own ads which i signed up for but think i only got it mailed to me once.And Fry's don't price match online store sales.

The KC Microcenter always has stacks of printed ads at the front of the store. They're listed the 920's in there before. Pick one up and see what Fry's says...

The KC Microcenter always has stacks of printed ads at the front of the store. They're listed the 920's in there before. Pick one up and see what Fry's says...

The only reason I'd try this is to get out of making the 25 mile or so drive to Microcenter, Fry's is just around the corner. If I need a printed ad no way, unless they were to give me a price match + discount on top of that, there is no reason to go through the hassle.

Heck Fry's had a good deal online when I was looking for my LCD tv, the store wouldn't even match the website price for me, had free shipping too. Just thought maybe I could have it that day instead of waiting for it, but no they don't want your business I guess.

If I were Fry's I wouldn't price match either if it means selling at a loss. That makes absolutely no sense for them to do. They can sell them for $230 and still easily sell them all; there will always be people who don't want to make the long drive to MC or just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Until Newegg drops their prices to ~$200.00 don't expect places like Fry's to pricematch very often.

Fry's is not going to take a 30+% loss on an item. 199.99 price vs 288.99 is a 31.8% loss. Their profit margin on processors is less than 2%.

Furthermore nobody in the Electronic Components department (you were in Electronic Components not Computer Department, the Computer Department sells prebuilt computers) can price match any number greater than 30.00%, not even the department manager. The point of sale system simply won't allow it.

Only the store manager and assistant store manager can okay such a high discount. When they do so they also fill out some paperwork documenting the price match.

You will have to get the department supervisor to contact the store manager or assistant store manager to do the discount or they will have "you walk" (aka not make the purchase at the store).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that micro center is only undercutting fry's 20% you may actually have a chance at the price match..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may find this to be bad business, making customers jump through hoops and all that for a price match, but when the price match is greater than 30% then it isn't likely that the store will recoup the 90 dollar loss.

In the system building area of Electronic Components the only items that make the store about 15% profit are the cases and power supplies. Memory and Motherboards are usually priced exactly to 8 to 15% profit margin. Graphic Cards often less than 10%. Overall the store would be very lucky to make 10% profit on the other items.

Thus the store would need to sell you at least 1100 dollars worth of items to break even. 900 dollars on the items, and 200 on the processor. But even then they aren't breaking even for they must pay there workers, their electric bills, and their credit card fees.

Finally if you were a cheapskate that forced the company to take a 90 dollar loss on the processor, it would be very likely you wouldn't build the entire system at the store. It is very likely you bought many of the equipment online where you can often find cheaper prices on graphic cards, memory, and motherboards. So they would be very little chance they would have recouped the loss.

If the store isn't making money they won't stay in business.

It's been stated numerous times that there won't be any 32nm quads for quite some time, unfortunately.:(

There are Engineering Sample 32nm Xeons floating around as we speak. Some are quad-core parts with no Hyperthreading, some are hex-cores with HT, all LGA1366 parts. So, if by "quite some time" you mean "about two months", then you're probably right. ;)

Fry's is not going to take a 30+% loss on an item. 199.99 price vs 288.99 is a 31.8% loss. Their profit margin on processors is less than 2%.

Well they didn't even hear me out. I didn't say what item or a price at first, just simply asked if they would match MC's price on something. Just flat out said no. Even if it had been $287.99, they wouldn't have cared. Maybe they're just tired of hearing people ask for a match from MC?

I really don't care either, just thought it was humorous when they have their pricematch signs posted all over. I'll go wherever gives me the best deal, which is 99% of the time online, to escape the 9.75% sales tax.

:Last time I tried to get Fry's to pricematch MC, they 1st asked for the ad and then the called the local MC to check on their stock. After confirming that MC had the processor in stock, the Fry's guy excuses himself and then returns and says the manager said no. Waste of time to try to get them to match MC :mad:

There are Engineering Sample 32nm Xeons floating around as we speak. Some are quad-core parts with no Hyperthreading, some are hex-cores with HT, all LGA1366 parts. So, if by "quite some time" you mean "about two months", then you're probably right. ;)

Those are regular Xeons, not based on desktop Core series.

The i7 930 is the same as the 920 just 1x higher multi, which is useless since the i7s OC better with odd multis. No point in using the 22x when the 21x will get higher anyway.

Finally if you were a cheapskate...

"Cheapskate" or "smart buyer". I'm going to side with the individual buyer over a corporation.
Who gives a shit about Frys (or any retailer really).

Microcenter has been selling the 920 for $200-230 for over 9 months now! Obviously they are staying in business. The fact they haven't stopped selling it that low for this long now means the strategy must be working.

"Cheapskate" or "smart buyer". I'm going to side with the individual buyer over a corporation.
Who gives a shit about Frys (or any retailer really).

Microcenter has been selling the 920 for $200-230 for over 9 months now! Obviously they are staying in business. The fact they haven't stopped selling it that low for this long now means the strategy must be working.

Two things
1) If Fry's isn't going to make money off the customer why would they want to sell items to him at a loss? Why be loyal to a customer that doesn't make you any money.
2) Microcenter has been selling the 920 for $199.99 for 9 months now, not as a sale item but everyday. They are now raising the price 30 dollars. This would happen because of three reasons a) they weren't happen with their profit margins with the 199 price b) their suppliers (aka intel) retract any specials/rebates they were giving microcenter or c) they are confident they will make more money by selling the processor at 230 and thus not take as big of a hit on a doorbuster.

Two things
1) If Fry's isn't going to make money off the customer why would they want to sell items to him at a loss? Why be loyal to a customer that doesn't make you any money.
2) Microcenter has been selling the 920 for $199.99 for 9 months now, not as a sale item but everyday. They are now raising the price 30 dollars. This would happen because of three reasons a) they weren't happen with their profit margins with the 199 price b) their suppliers (aka intel) retract any specials/rebates they were giving microcenter or c) they are confident they will make more money by selling the processor at 230 and thus not take as big of a hit on a doorbuster.

Frys should match the price because it's a policy they use to bait people with. They should stand by their policy, even if results in the occasional loss.

BTW, it's not unusual for Frys to sell something below their cost. Since far back as I can remember being a customer of Frys, once in a while they will sell a hot item(s) at a ridiculously low cost - taking a loss. Usually this will be a product that's about to be discontinued. Why? To draw customers in. Because they know several of them will walk out with a basket full of other overpriced crap to make up the difference - or to introduce new shoppers to their retail stores. I have taken advantage of these numerous times. But i've also bought a shit-ton of other crap there all my life as well. They aren't struggling.

microcenter has online catalogs which i think they send to you through the mail if you request it. You can use that to show your ad for price matching.

Those are regular Xeons, not based on desktop Core series.

The i7 930 is the same as the 920 just 1x higher multi, which is useless since the i7s OC better with odd multis. No point in using the 22x when the 21x will get higher anyway.

The 920 has a 20x multiplier; the 930 has a 21x multiplier. Much easier to OC.

The 920 has a 20x multiplier; the 930 has a 21x multiplier. Much easier to OC.

Not really "much easier" to overclock with a 1 increase in multi. In fact i can get further on 19x multi with my C0 than 20x...
1 increase in multiplier will not give you much of a gain seeing as you can get 21 with a 920 anyway and a lot of boards go way past 200 bclk.

Not really "much easier" to overclock with a 1 increase in multi. In fact i can get further on 19x multi with my C0 than 20x...
1 increase in multiplier will not give you much of a gain seeing as you can get 21 with a 920 anyway and a lot of boards go way past 200 bclk.

The 20x multiplier can be difficult to OC with, and if you drop to 19x you're losing clock speed obviously. 21x is perfect.

Edit: Also, you certainly can get the 21x multiplier with the 920 but IIRC you're losing Turbo Boost. 930 gives you 21x + Turbo Boost.

The 20x multiplier can be difficult to OC with, and if you drop to 19x you're losing clock speed obviously. 21x is perfect.

Edit: Also, you certainly can get the 21x multiplier with the 920 but IIRC you're losing Turbo Boost. 930 gives you 21x + Turbo Boost.

How much faster do even want to oc? 21x200 is 4.2 and most non extreme wont get over that.

In theory yes the 930 would be a better ocer but in practice it wont make any difference.

You'd disable turbo boost if you were running a high oc anyway right? Useful for stock processors though.
Am i right in saying that most people that are overclocking past 4ghz are on p6t deluxe or the evga alternative that both can go to 220bclk and beyond.
If you're looking to get into i7 then yeah the 930 so long as its not that more expensive, if you already have a 920 you're not going to benefit from the 930 at all unless you've got a shoddy chip.

Wow guys.

920 is 20x multi, 21x with turbo. Enable turbo for full time then it is always 21x. 21x will OC much further then 22x because i7 does not like even multis.

The 930 is 21x without turbo, 22x with. But 22x is even therefor you would be running 21x with turbo off for stability. Useless when the 920 can run 21x full time anyway.

I run 21x210 on my i7 920 (HT off only because my HSF has hit it's limit). With a P6t you can lock turbo boost on which effectively gives you a permanent 21 multi. I would just go with whatever's cheaper at this point since they both seem to OC well.

Hmm, no. Doesn't work that way. Turbo Boost won't ever kick in if you are doing any reasonable overclock. TB only works if you are operating inside certain thermal profiles - and if you aren't pushing things thermally then your not even close to your best OC.

Hmm, no. Doesn't work that way. Turbo Boost won't ever kick in if you are doing any reasonable overclock. TB only works if you are operating inside certain thermal profiles - and if you aren't pushing things thermally then your not even close to your best OC.

You turn off thermal management crap, enable turbo and its on 24/7 non stop. That gives the 920 a 21x multi all the time.

I'm glad I live near 2 microcenters :) I personally don't think i could wait for the i7 930.... assuming its going to be out in march and I had the cash already.... I would just pickup an i7 920 and be done with it.

Microcenter gets all my computer business over Fry for several reasons:
1) I used to work there (even though I didn't like it, I respect how they are run)
2) They bother to stay current on prices (including vs the internet GASP)
3) They tend not to give you crap if you need an exchange
4) The 'Tech support' department personel they have, and even the sales people to a degree, have a good level of knowledge compared to any other chain
5) They bother to stock pc building sundries (cables, screws, standoffs)
6) They bother to stock watercooling gear for popular hardware (example - I've been struggling to not buy the 3 dangerden 5870 blocks my local microcenter has in stock)

I don't want to sound like a shill, but man, having worked there, and seen the consistent improvement they've made, even in a bad economy, well, I'm with microcenter. Even if I end up paying slightly more for the motherboard / ram, I'll gladly spring for it for the ability to drive down the street and make a stress free exchange.

Microcenter gets all my computer business over Fry for several reasons:
1) I used to work there (even though I didn't like it, I respect how they are run)
2) They bother to stay current on prices (including vs the internet GASP)
3) They tend not to give you crap if you need an exchange
4) The 'Tech support' department personel they have, and even the sales people to a degree, have a good level of knowledge compared to any other chain
5) They bother to stock pc building sundries (cables, screws, standoffs)
6) They bother to stock watercooling gear for popular hardware (example - I've been struggling to not buy the 3 dangerden 5870 blocks my local microcenter has in stock)

I don't want to sound like a shill, but man, having worked there, and seen the consistent improvement they've made, even in a bad economy, well, I'm with microcenter. Even if I end up paying slightly more for the motherboard / ram, I'll gladly spring for it for the ability to drive down the street and make a stress free exchange.

I agree with all your points with the exception of number 3. Frys has one of THE most relaxed return policies ever. They literally invites abuse. I've returned over 15 hdtvs, numerous video cards (including two 5870s just recently), motherboards, cpus, hard drives, hell just about every computer part (kid you not - i call it renting) without issue and unlike microcenter, they don't have any restock fees (at least not for those components). And this is just within the last couple years. I'm sure microcenter would have banned my ass a looong long time ago.

But anyways yah, I do LIKE microcenter better - just that one point.

Wow guys.

920 is 20x multi, 21x with turbo. Enable turbo for full time then it is always 21x. 21x will OC much further then 22x because i7 does not like even multis.

The 930 is 21x without turbo, 22x with. But 22x is even therefor you would be running 21x with turbo off for stability. Useless when the 920 can run 21x full time anyway.

Exactly, but you could also enable Turbo on the 930. Turbo doesn't just increase the multiplier all the time - it disables cores when they're not being used (for single-threaded apps) and increases the multiplier of the core that is being used.

You get better performance with the 930. End of story.

An increase in multiplier from 20 to 21 doesn't mean that it'd overclock further than then 920, so the only way you can say that the 930 will perform better than the 920 is at stock speeds! It'll no doubt just be the same chip but a change in the multiplier from 20 to 21 so will see the same sort of overclocking results.

You get better performance with the 930. End of story.

No.

An increase in multiplier from 20 to 21 doesn't mean that it'd overclock further than then 920, so the only way you can say that the 930 will perform better than the 920 is at stock speeds! It'll no doubt just be the same chip but a change in the multiplier from 20 to 21 so will see the same sort of overclocking results.

No, it doesn't mean it'd OC further, but you could also use Turbo Boost for extra performance. With the 920 to get a 21x multiplier you need to use Turbo Boost; for the 930 you have a 21x multiplier from the start and can enable Turbo Boost (with the thermal management features, so you wouldn't have a 22x multiplier all the time) for additional performance.

Get my drift?

No, it doesn't mean it'd OC further, but you could also use Turbo Boost for extra performance. With the 920 to get a 21x multiplier you need to use Turbo Boost; for the 930 you have a 21x multiplier from the start and can enable Turbo Boost (with the thermal management features, so you wouldn't have a 22x multiplier all the time) for additional performance.

Get my drift?

Who the hell would use that? Let's be honest, only people running stock will use that really.

Who the hell would use that? Let's be honest, only people running stock will use that really.

I would. There are still tons of single-threaded applications, and being able to disable a core or two and increase the multiplier of the core that's being used is a nice feature.

You are thinking of 1156 dude. 1366 does not disable cores when turbo is enabled. You have to manualy disable them in BIOS.

So again, 920 = 21x, 930 =22x and i7 will OC farther with the 21x multi.

Back