i7 SFF on budget

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
What would be a decent board for a SFF computer that does not cost a arm and a leg. I am building this for someone for general use. No need to oc or game....

There are no SFF Core i7 boards. The only one that actually seems like it's coming out soon, is the Shuttle, which costs an arm and a leg

Edit: Wow, guess that DFI slipped by me

The DFI JR X58-T3H6 is the only I7 matx motherboard currently out.

The Asus Rampage II Gene will be out soon, but I'll doubt it will be "budget-priced".

i7 SFF on budget?

I don't think we will see any i7 around budget prices for a long while. :(

ATX i7 boards start around $190... I think the DFI JR counts as budget for mATX ;-)

i7 will never be budget, the i5 series will cover that.

if ur not looking for gaming, I would just stick with LGA775 processors, cheap mATX boards available w/ many features, processors are also pretty powerful and cheap. It should be able to do everything that you throw at it just fine. i7 is just overkill if ur not gaming, but thats my own personnel thought...;)

if ur not looking for gaming, I would just stick with LGA775 processors, cheap mATX boards available w/ many features, processors are also pretty powerful and cheap. It should be able to do everything that you throw at it just fine. i7 is just overkill if ur not gaming, but thats my own personnel thought...;)

It can be argued that i7 is overkill for gaming. Considering processor is not nearly as important as the GPU (in realistic scenarios) in gaming tasks. i7 really comes into its own with encoding, decryption, compression tasks.

i7 really comes into its own with encoding, decryption, compression tasks.

right which fall under the "general use" description in the OP. I think we can let him make his own decisions about what platform to go with.

ATX i7 boards start around $190... I think the DFI JR counts as budget for mATX ;-)

And those that do cost under $200 can't do both SLI and CF (the ZOTAC does SLI, the MSI and Giga do CF).

So it's not budget for mATX, but definitely for X58.

The Zotac does CF. All boards do CF, it's SLI that requires NV's NF200 or whatever chip to SLI. Basically if you can SLI, you can CF. X58 anyways, LGA775 is irrelevant.

And since there is going to be 2 mATX boards out, 1 which is unreleased, well the OP can figure that out for himself. HW ftw?

Back