i7 with Multi-GPU: Gains, Worthless or Dead Horse?

harmattan

Supreme [H]ardness
When i7 was released, there were several conflicting evaluations as to whether it offered any benefit for high-end multi-gpu setups (e.g., 3x GTX 280 SLI, 4870X2 X-fire). Here were some of the differing reviews:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/ Synopsis: i7 and multi-gpu is blowing my mind, but I effed up and used an e8400 for most of the tests

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-gaming,2061-13.html
Synopsis: i7 and multi-gpu is blowing my mind, but only with 3-way SLI

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwNyw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
Synopsis: this coincidental evidence leads me to believe that i7 and multi-GPU is blowing my mind

I am in the throngs of deciding whether to upgrade to i7 and still have no definitive answer to this question. [H] was supposed to post an analysis of C2Q vs. i7 on mult-GPU configs, but this never materialized. So, my question remains: does i7 offer benefits over C2Q in multi-GPU systems (specifically 2x 4870 X2)?

No, nothing that would be considered noticable.

an i7 clocked at similar speeds to a c2quad will perform equally (within the margine of error)

1-2 FPS isnt really worth the upgrade.

I have a Qx9650 machine and my i7 both clocked at teh same speed and there was little to no difference.

at lower resolution you will definately see a difference but at 1920x1200 your GPU bound.

No, nothing that would be considered noticable.

an i7 clocked at similar speeds to a c2quad will perform equally (within the margine of error)

1-2 FPS isnt really worth the upgrade.

I have a Qx9650 machine and my i7 both clocked at teh same speed and there was little to no difference.

at lower resolution you will definately see a difference but at 1920x1200 your GPU bound.

I'm not sure your test bed is the best for this question as it's only 1x 4870 X2. We're looking for results for > 2 GPU setups and whether there is an advantage with i7 -- something which is suggested by some of the reviews.

I guess I just want to get the most out of my GPUs... and have a framework for future upgrades with i7.

the way I am looking at it is like this

If you are GPU bound with 1 4870x2, how are you not GPU bound with 2?

I dont understand how adding a second GPU, would allow your CPU to flex more muscles.

the way I am looking at it is like this

If you are GPU bound with 1 4870x2, how are you not GPU bound with 2?

I dont understand how adding a second GPU, would allow your CPU to flex more muscles.

Because you've doubled your rendering power?

It would appear that about the only time the i7 has a real advantage in games is in a multi-GPU setting, so if you want to maximize a tri-sli or equivalent setup, then definately go i7.

It's pretty easy to see looking at the guru3d one. When the GPU is no longer the bottleneck the core i7 shines. When the GPU is the bottleneck the E8500, Q6600 and core i7 are very very close in fps's.

If you want your multi gpu setup to reach its maximum potential the core i7 is the way to go. (this is coming from someone with a core i7920 at 3.8ghz and 2 gtx 280's, i could be biased)

I'm pretty sure my OC'ed 4870 X2s are not the bottleneck, so I've gone ahead and ordered an i7920, Asus P6T and some DDR3. I'm also considering this a platform investment since a new gen of GPUs will almost definitely be out before a new CPU architecture.

I think you made the right decision. Honestly, it's a joke how fast these i7's are. Cinebench renders are SO much faster. Super pi's, so much faster. And factor in your multi gpu setup, your pc is going to be hauling.

I think it has more to do with the high-speed triple channel DDR3 than it does anything else. The bandwidth increase between C2D and i7 is big and that will improve the speed at which the GPU's are able to receive data for processing. Along with that factor in the lower latency of the IMC which is now on-die of the CPU.

I'm pretty sure my OC'ed 4870 X2s are not the bottleneck, so I've gone ahead and ordered an i7920, Asus P6T and some DDR3. I'm also considering this a platform investment since a new gen of GPUs will almost definitely be out before a new CPU architecture.

How are the results? I'm also trying to decide if i7 will free my 4870x2 more than say a Q9550 OC would.

I had a QX9650 before and swapped to a i7 965, a boost in every game so far and not "in the margin of error" 1-2FPS. Try 10-20FPS+ at same CPU clock and the i7 i have clocks higher than the yorkies and gain even more FPS even in GPU-bound game due to its higher power to feed the card with.
MultiGPU is just what i7 is all about, a simple yorkie does not have the power enought to push that kind of setups decent enought, not to speak about the poor wolfies.
And i only have 2xGTX280SC but still see a huge gain. Totally worth it.

I think you made the right decision. Honestly, it's a joke how fast these i7's are. Cinebench renders are SO much faster. Super pi's, so much faster. And factor in your multi gpu setup, your pc is going to be hauling.

For real. My cinebench at 4.2ghz is 21000 without HT.

Back