IBM in Talks To Buy Sun Microsystems

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Associated Press, citing an anonymous person “close to the situation,” claims that IBM is in talks to buy Sun Microsystems for $7 billion.

But the combination of I.B.M. and Sun, analysts say, would bring together two technology companies that have continued to invest heavily in research and development, when many of their corporate peers have cut back to shield profits. I.B.M.’s research and development budget is about $6 billion a year, while Sun’s is roughly $3 billion.

I heard about this during my morning commute, and I've been trying to get as much information as possible.

I'm very impressed with IBM's resolve considering the current economic status, and more so by their (continued) commitment to research that may not promise the most lucrative returns (for IBM, that is). That said, I'm wondering how IBM could help some issues that Sun has been facing for the last few years. Specifically, I'm wondering how this will affect OOo. I see many good things coming from this, but only if they do all of the right things.

Not bad, that will give IBM some reach.

Maybe the cost of a sun system will drop by 500% and become a little more realistic. Here is to dreaming.

Sounds like time to short the stock for when it turns out this is all a rumor!

well rumor or not if I had owned sun stock before, id sell some of it with 80% up

It will be interesting to see what happens with Java. IBM's software side has been heavily Java-centric for awhile now. Will they take control of it and continue to develop it? It might be nice, since Java seems to have been stalling for a few years now.

Likewise, what would happen to Solaris, StarOffice, etc?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Java. IBM's software side has been heavily Java-centric for awhile now. Will they take control of it and continue to develop it? It might be nice, since Java seems to have been stalling for a few years now.

Hopefully they drag Java into a back alley and beat the shit out of it till there is nothing left. I hate java and anything java based. It needs to be redone so badly. Java apps like to bring your machine to a grinding hault if you let them run for any amount of time. Any server that runs java based applications have to be restarted every few weeks due to being out of memory and the cpu usage being 100%.

That latest update broke Symantec Endpoint Protection as I guess sun broke parts of java with the latest release which now requires programs to have major rewrites to make the changes.

Given IBM's track record on anything but mainframes (DOS, OS/2, Lotus SmartSuite, desktops PC's, laptops), this could spell the end for Sun, unless they (Sun) are able to maintain their independence.

Given IBM's track record on anything but mainframes (DOS, OS/2, Lotus SmartSuite, desktops PC's, laptops), this could spell the end for Sun, unless they (Sun) are able to maintain their independence.

you forgot harddrives.

IBM's strength is their marketing department. They'll be able to fix all Sun's problems just like they do for IBM core.

But Sun... $3 billion a year on R&D... to produce what?

I usually don't bite on this kinda stuff but anyway...

The Java community is as vibrant as its ever been since Sun open sourced it. You need look no further than the many open source projects that exist and the companies and foundations that back them, Apache, Eclipse, Red Hat, IBM, Oracle, BEA just to name a few. Or the companies that make up the JCP executive committees.

Hopefully they drag Java into a back alley and beat the shit out of it till there is nothing left. I hate java and anything java based. It needs to be redone so badly. Java apps like to bring your machine to a grinding hault if you let them run for any amount of time. Any server that runs java based applications have to be restarted every few weeks due to being out of memory and the cpu usage being 100%.

That latest update broke Symantec Endpoint Protection as I guess sun broke parts of java with the latest release which now requires programs to have major rewrites to make the changes.

Old, and I mean really old Java apps had terrible performance, since the introduction of JIT compiling and the HotSpot VM Java's performance is leaps and bounds better than what it was. As for server stability the Java EE 5 implementations out there are pretty solid especially if you stick with the major players. The changes from J2SE 1.4.2 to J2SE 1.5 were pretty major, however that was quite a few years ago JavaSE 6 was mostly compatible with 1.5 so long as you were not using undocumented API features (intentionally or inadvertently).

What the hell? Are you talking from a developer's standpoint or are you just one of the uninformed "JAVA IS ALWAYS SLOW" masses. Good Java code may be twice as slow as good C code. Yes, Java is slower, but what does that really mean when it comes to user applications. Answer: not very much, without context.

Back