ibm laptops

Hi,

I'm getting a new laptop that will be used for college.

I've narrowed it down to 2 laptops, the IBM T42p and the IBM X40.

From what I can tell the T42p will be MUCH faster, but the battery life will be lessoned and it is heavier then the X40.

But the X40 is much smaller, lighter, and has a longer battery life.

Battery life is very important to me b/c I will be using it on the go a lot. But I'd also like soemthing fast enough to get the job done in most situations.

Give me your thoughts on which laptop i should get of these two or if there is another laptop i should be looking at.

Thanks

Unless "getting the job done" means running computational fluid dynamics or finite element analysis operations. You should be fine with the X40. Of course you won't be able to game on the X40 that well...

Well the X40 has no touch pad, no internal optical drives, more expensive, and the battery life isn't very good on the regular battery (2.5 hours) The bigger battery is like 5.7 hours or something.

The t42 is bigger, faster, can upgrade more, has optical drives internally, cheaper, standard battery is like 4.3 hours and the big one is like 7+.

I'm getting a new laptop soon and am getting a t42. If you go to their site under education they have certain discounts for stuff for each state. The X40 would be nice but if you ever want to watch a dvd, install something from a cd, or burn a cd/dvd you need to have the docking station or some other external drive with you at the time. If your doing it for being ultra portable, the real bad thing is there is no touch pad, just the little red thing. Honestly, unless you need something ultra small, and never need to install stuff on the go, I would get the t42.

DoMeHardR said:
Well the X40 has no touch pad, no internal optical drives, more expensive, and the battery life isn't very good on the regular battery (2.5 hours) The bigger battery is like 5.7 hours or something.

The t42 is bigger, faster, can upgrade more, has optical drives internally, cheaper, standard battery is like 4.3 hours and the big one is like 7+.

I'm getting a new laptop soon and am getting a t42. If you go to their site under education they have certain discounts for stuff for each state. The X40 would be nice but if you ever want to watch a dvd, install something from a cd, or burn a cd/dvd you need to have the docking station or some other external drive with you at the time. If your doing it for being ultra portable, the real bad thing is there is no touch pad, just the little red thing. Honestly, unless you need something ultra small, and never need to install stuff on the go, I would get the t42.

I have an X40 and when I had the 8-Cell and the extended battery hooked up to it, I got over 10 hours. Also, I picked up a PCMCIA DVD/CD-ROM for only $50 on eBay. An X40 is not a machine to be burning DVDs. It is an ultraportable and it's made for school/work.

And the TouchPoint > Touchpad. Ask anyone using a Thinkpad what they prefer to use.

Valid points all of them. 'course battery life is such a subjective concept. Your 10 hours may be my 5 hours --depending on our usage.

I have disabled the touchpad on my Thinkpad. Its a terrible device.
I have a T41 (I got it for pretty cheap since the T42's where released ;) )
I would consider it to be ultra portable, but obviously the X40 is even more so.

I think if you dont want to play games or do anything from CD (unless you want to use a external drive, which is kind of a waste of you have to trail that around with you which ruins the portablity and thus the point of getting it), then go for the X40. Battery life about 7.5 hours.

The T42 has better everything exept for weight pretty much. And it is ultra portable, just not ultra ultra portable like the X40. If you can ever get your hands on one it would be good. See if its ok for your needs. You can shove it in a backpack or get a tiny computer case thing for it, just like the X40. It would just take up slightly more space in your backpack or whatever. Battery life about 5.5 hours.

Its like comparing carrying round a peice of paper or a stack of paper. Its really not that much difference, but the stack of paper is slighty heavier and bigger.

I dont see any sense in getting a X40 since I use the drives all the time, I play CS and the graphics card on the X40 is not game worthy at all.

I HIGHLY Reccomend IBM laptops to anyone who is looking for one though. I would say they are by far the best, unless someone is looking for a serious gameing laptop (lol why would anyone do that. For the same price as a gameing laptop you could get a JESUS computer that would run everything, compared to a laptop that can run UTK4 pretty ok.)

If I really didnt care about using drives and games and I just wanted to use it for inernet and word etc, I think I would go for the X40. I use everything feature on the T41 however so I would definetly choose that one.

Thanks a lot guys, i'm going with the t42, I didn't get the top of the line one, but the one I has a 1.7 gh proc, 512mb ram, 40gig hd, and a 64 mb vid card. I think that will suit me just fine since I will be bringing my desktop along with me to college.

I really appriciate all of your input on this subject, it helped a lot.

gimilthedwarf said:
Thanks a lot guys, i'm going with the t42, I didn't get the top of the line one, but the one I has a 1.7 gh proc, 512mb ram, 40gig hd, and a 64 mb vid card. I think that will suit me just fine since I will be bringing my desktop along with me to college.

good choice, sounds like the 3UU in which case its a more than capable gaming machine, my 3VU in sig is holding up nicely

I purchased the 2378FVU model, but I upgraded the ram to 512mb insted of 256mb. That way I can do some photoshop stuff and a few games a little better.

gimilthedwarf said:

Welcome to the Unofficial Thinkpad Club. Leave your touchpads at the door.

Bling said:
t42s have touchpads too.... on ther other hand i just bought an x40

Yea, but everyone knows that IBM hasn't released a Touchpad until recentely. That's because Touchpoint > Touchpad.

<3

Oh, and congrats on your X40. It's a beauty.

dvlzomb said:
I have disabled the touchpad on my Thinkpad. Its a terrible device.
I have a T41 (I got it for pretty cheap since the T42's where released ;) )
I would consider it to be ultra portable, but obviously the X40 is even more so.

I think if you dont want to play games or do anything from CD (unless you want to use a external drive, which is kind of a waste of you have to trail that around with you which ruins the portablity and thus the point of getting it), then go for the X40. Battery life about 7.5 hours.

The T42 has better everything exept for weight pretty much. And it is ultra portable, just not ultra ultra portable like the X40. If you can ever get your hands on one it would be good. See if its ok for your needs. You can shove it in a backpack or get a tiny computer case thing for it, just like the X40. It would just take up slightly more space in your backpack or whatever. Battery life about 5.5 hours.

Its like comparing carrying round a peice of paper or a stack of paper. Its really not that much difference, but the stack of paper is slighty heavier and bigger.

I dont see any sense in getting a X40 since I use the drives all the time, I play CS and the graphics card on the X40 is not game worthy at all.

I HIGHLY Reccomend IBM laptops to anyone who is looking for one though. I would say they are by far the best, unless someone is looking for a serious gameing laptop (lol why would anyone do that. For the same price as a gameing laptop you could get a JESUS computer that would run everything, compared to a laptop that can run UTK4 pretty ok.)

If I really didnt care about using drives and games and I just wanted to use it for inernet and word etc, I think I would go for the X40. I use everything feature on the T41 however so I would definetly choose that one.

my T42 runs UT2k4 fine :confused:

TheGeneral said:
my T42 runs UT2k4 fine :confused:

My Runs it well also and I've only got a R9000 32MB
it actually runs it better than my desktop with Geforce 4 Ti4200(which is by no means the best card but I would've expected it to run better just becuse it's a desktop GPU with 64Mb)

Back