IBM model M?

What does a used 1984 IBM model M keyboard go for now a days?

Depends on the condition and seller. If you're lucky you can find one in decent condition at a second-hand store for a few bucks; some people try to sell them for ridiculous prices on Ebay, in those cases you'd be better off buying a Unicomp (new buckling-spring keyboard), imo.

Ok..

no i'm not interested. I came across one at work today and thought I had seen them going for rediculous prices in the past

I'd give my left nut for one of those black spacesaver industrial (tenkeyless) model Ms

it really depends on the board, they are worth a pretty penny

I don't think they were designed to emulate the model M, that is just some newbie journalist putting a spin on it.

Yep. Other journalists have tried to put the same spin on Das Keyboard in the past. Greens eel nothing like buckling springs. they're just stiff and click.

I'd give my left nut for one of those black spacesaver industrial (tenkeyless) model Ms

it really depends on the board, they are worth a pretty penny

With tactile and auditory feedback, and activation, precisely aligned, buckling springs are arguably still the best switch available. And the build quality of the earlier boards is also very attractive.

That said, some don't like the stiff action or need greater n-key rollover, and there are other fine choices. And I'm not sure such a physical sacrifice would actually be warranted or accepted as payment.

With tactile and auditory feedback, and activation, precisely aligned, buckling springs are arguably still the best switch available. And the build quality of the earlier boards is also very attractive.

That said, some don't like the stiff action or need greater n-key rollover, and there are other fine choices. And I'm not sure such a physical sacrifice would actually be warranted or accepted as payment.

The unicomp buckling springs aren't as stiff as the original Model M's. I see that as an upside.

The unicomp buckling springs aren't as stiff as the original Model M's. I see that as an upside.

From what I've read they also seem to sound "pingier", which some see as a down-side; if I were to get a BS board it would probably be a Model F and floss mod it, that would be sweet...

If you check goodwill stores you should be able to find it for a few bucks. Or check companies throwing them out. Some dump them out by the truckloads. :)

From what I've read they also seem to sound "pingier", which some see as a down-side; if I were to get a BS board it would probably be a Model F and floss mod it, that would be sweet...

Nah man. The Model M (Well, M-13 in my experience) has SERIOUS ping in it, the Unicomp (Endurapro specifically) does not ping as loudly.

Actually, it's the other way around. There's almost no ping with a Unicomp. Because of that, I've often considered transplanting the guts of a Unicomp into the case of a Model M.

Not using a Model M, but I'm using an Apple Extended II with an adapter as my main desktop keyboard.

So worth it... I really don't think I could switch to a membrane keyboard.

Personally, i don't understand what it is with you people and your keyboard interests lol

I was shocked when I noticed there was a forum dedicated to keyboard.

Me.. I prefer the standard microsoft/lenovo/whatever keyboards. Even gaming keyboards bug me as their shape isnt as "standard"

to each their own i suppose :p

Personally, i don't understand what it is with you people and your keyboard interests lol

Me.. I prefer the standard microsoft/lenovo/whatever keyboards. Even gaming keyboards bug me as their shape isnt as "standard"

lol

ducky with blues here

yes, to each their own, can't imagine why input device would make the least difference

/sarc

perhaps if you are a programmer

na. i see the appeal. i'm usually just too focused on what i'm trying to accomplish using so many different machines and keyboards... it would be rediculous to carry one around/install drivers etc...

(unconcerned sys admin over here)

I think carrying a keyboard around would qualify as a serious affectation

but on you main production/gaming station?

do you have a mouse preference? or does the thumball/trackpad/eraser work as well as anything?

Generally, you can find them on eBay for 30-60 bucks. Skull_angel is correct, that some thrift stores, or surplus stores, may have quite a few lying around, that you can get for a few dollars.

My best source for them dried up... I used to regularly visit the University's surplus area, and snag a few IBM M-class keyboards on a regular basis for 3-5 bucks apiece. Almost all of them worked flawlessly, although a few needed new caps / covers for some of the keys.

Still, if you have a smaller college in the area, and if they're technologically behind the times, you may be able to find some really old computers in their surplus areas as well.

If you can find a good one, it will last you a lifetime, and isn't nearly as finicky as modern day keyboards.

You can mash several keys at one time, and it won't have any problems recognizing each key stroke. I've never had any issues with using them for gaming, either. While some people claim that I'm missing out on things by not using the "Windows" key on more modern keyboards, it has never been an issue for me.

To me, they're really worth it, since I can type with much more confidence on one, compared to the mush keyboards of today.

I think carrying a keyboard around would qualify as a serious affectation

but on you main production/gaming station?

do you have a mouse preference? or does the thumball/trackpad/eraser work as well as anything?

Mouse is a much bigger deal to me. At work I don't care, but on my main machine at home ive been using a Logitech MX 518 for years now... though I still rock the standard Microsoft keyboard for gaming an everything

I just wish there were buckling spring keyboards available with NKRO (or at least 6KRO). I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Considering keyboards are the primary source of input for a computer and used for hours on end in a lot of cases, it makes sense that how they feel can become an important factor. If you've never tried a mechanical keyboard, you're doing yourself a disservice. I've owned my share of rubber dome keyboards and most of them feel like I'm typing on a firm wet towel.

I didn't know what I was missing until I tried an IBM Model F, Apple Extended Keyboard, or Dell AT101W, for example. After using a mechanical keyboard for more than a year, it was impossible for me to readjust to the feel of a standard rubber dome keyboard again, and I tried just for the heck of it.

I've used my M on and off for years - sometimes my wife wants me to take a sledgehammer to it after listening to it for an evening - that's when I pull out the G15.... ;)

Beautiful keyboards, and built for a lifetime.

I'm quite pleased w/ my mx-brown WASD keyboard with dampers

good key feel low noise...but not like a model m feel really at all but i do like the keyfeel... model m's are waaaaay to loud for me..but too each their own.

I write all day. Occasionally I switch to the other side of the brain and do spreadsheets. Does it make sense to you now?

I have used the Gateway Anykey keyboard since 1992. That's my "standard." It has a big Enter key and function keys on the left (and top). I depend on them. Only the Northgate Omnikey seems to duplicate it.

BTW, never had a problem with NKRO until I bought new computers without PS/2 ports. I have been through two types of PS/2-USB adapter with poor results and finally bought the Adesso adapter, which is accurate about 90% of the time. I am currently waiting to install two Asus desktops with PS/2 ports. Gamers are not the only ones who need PS/2--so do fast typists.

Back