ibook G3 - max ram and hd?

CoPilotJim

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,

My buddy bought an ibook G3 for 100 bucks. He is running OS X and he wants to upgrade the ram and hd. I'm guessing any notebook HD will work? Can anyone tell me what the max amt of ram the notebook can handle, and what is the cheapest place to buy it?

Thanks!

It depends on what model he has. Check this page for the max amount of RAM on various ibooks. It will be listed under "Processor and Memory" for the largest amount the ibook can take. Since almost all apple laptops use the 2.5" form factor for hard drives, I assume the biggest HD you can put in is the biggest available right now (that is PATA/IDE).

If he only paid $100 for it, it is either the colored ibooks or a first-gen white ibook?

CoPilotJim said:
it's definitely a white ibook

Hmm, wow, I never knew they put the G3 into the white iBooks, I had a friend in college that had a blue and white G3, first time I ever saw Halo in play (before the MS buyout, I think it was just a demo).

The white iBooks (aka dual USB) had the G3 processor (up to 900mhz) until the G4 refresh in 2003.

Just wanted to let you know that opening up the white iBooks to replace the hard drive is a real pain in the ass. I have done it a few times and it requires some skill and dedication not to damage the outside case.

Check this page for reference: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/50.0.0.html

I am also not sure that you can use any newer 2.5" PATA drive. I don't know what limitations are on the size (GB) supported by the logic board, but I know that the drive cannot be taller than 9.5mm physically, or it won't fit.

Back