iBook G4: Cannot boot off CD

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a iBook G4 I picked up and I'm trying to reinstall Mac OS on it. I do not know the Administrator password. It is currently running 10.4. I have 10.3 that I would want to put on it. However I am unable to boot off the CD. I tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM. Still nothing. I can get the OpenFirmware and I can boot the system up in single user mode.

Does anybody know what the problem could be? I'm not that familiar with Apple hardware and was hoping that there was a quick fix to this problem.

well since you said your not familiar with it...you know you have to hold "C" while booting to boot from a CD right?

other than that, I can't really determine what the problem is...

Boot the system holding down the option key to see if it brings up the cd drive as a boot option. The drive could be bad.

Yes, it finds the disc. But when I try to boot off of it, it just shows a crossed out circle.

how fast is the processor in that iBook? is the version of 10.3 too old?

That disc is too old if it's just 10.3. The iBook G4's, depending on which version, need at least 10.3.5 if not higher.

10.3.3 for the 1.0GHz 12" Model.

if you had the serial number, someone could probably check GSX and see what OS it originally shipped with.

Back