iBook - Intermittent Video

woo.Designs

Limp Gawd
I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial.

I determined that it's definetly not the backlight because when I don't get video on the LCD, I also don't get video on an attached external monitor. When I get video on the LCD, I get video perfectly on the attached external monitor. I think all of my problems are a result of a loose/bad cable because when I do get video, there are no lines until I move around the iBook. When I move around the iBook, it sometimes locks up and shows lines. I know that there have been problems with logic boards in the past and they offered a 3 year replacement program but mine is just 2 months over being 3 years old so I can't send it back in. I have a feeling it's not the logic board though.

That's a logic board buddy. Too bad you are past the 3 years, might be worth calling and seeing what they'll do.

Back