IC7-G Won't Boot off C: Needs XP CD to Boot HELP!

whoster69

Weaksauce
I've run into a weird problem with my latest install of Windows XP Pro with SP1 on my RAID 0 array.

My computer will only boot if the Windows XP CD is in my CD-ROM drive. It won't boot from my hard drive (a RAID 0 array on the Intel SATA).

How can I fix this? What went wrong?

My guess is that for some reason my RAID array isn't a boot device. I can't understand why that would be the case. I've spent many hours reinstalling onto this device and it worked fine before. I did repartition the drive as before and reformat. Please tell me I can get this working easily without having to reinstall again...

Something else weird happened. I have an external USB 2.0 drive. I left it on and tried to reboot. My computer booted again off the Windows XP CD but went into setup mode. I tried recovery which dropped me to a DOS prompt on D:\WINDOWS (My RAID array I setup as drive C with windows on C:\WINDOWS). For some reason it had rearranged my drive letters so that my RAID array was now D: and my USB external drive was now C:. If I turn the external drive off, and leave my Windows XP CD in my CD-ROM drive I can boot just fine and my RAID array is set as drive C:. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this so I can boot off of C:?

I'm thoroughly confused on this one...

P.S. I have installed the latest BIOS (2.5).

You either have your boot options set wrong in the BIOS, or your RAID array is toast. If it's the first, go into the BIOS and confirm with the manual that you have it set right for booting off the RAID array. If it's the second, then congratulations, your finding our first hand why most of us have given up on RAID0 arrays. Well that and the fact it doesn't increase real performance, either.

Not sure if this is relevant but on older system you needed to set bios to boot from scsi in order to get them to boot to a raid array.

Back