ic7-max3 fan going out!?!?!

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
I just built my first computer about 4 months ago, and for the mobo, i got an ic7 max3.

Mobo%20001.JPG

that there is my computer. The fan circled, just last night started making noises. It is like, brand new. Does anyone know what is going on? The fan IS still spinning, but it makes a loud humming noise.

if it indeed is going out, what can i do about that? where would i get a new fan?

any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Does it make that noise all the time or only when you start it first time? Mine is older fan and it makes that noise only when first boot up. About 30 sec later it stops. Been doing that for like 6 month now.

no... it does it all the time. I never reboot my computer, so i figure it had been on for about a month without a reboot, and when i came home last night, it was making a humming/squeeking noise that was pretty loud. I turned it off, messed with the fan a bit, and it didn't do anything but change the tone of the noise.

most people replace the fan in 2-3 months due to the same problem

i replaced mine with the thermaltake A1899 kit

does me fine

theres also zalman and swiftech which make a fine product as well

yeah maybe you should replace it. if my ic7-max3 ever starts acting like that, i would be looking to order one. sorry i cant help anymore than that.

take canned air blow it out.

mined did finally die 4 months of having that board.

Wow! Look at all the cables you had to move out of the way to take that picture!

Are you sure there's any airflow around the fan anyway? Are any of the leads getting caught in the blades?

.B ekiM

The_In_Kid said:
most people replace the fan in 2-3 months due to the same problem

i replaced mine with the thermaltake A1899 kit

does me fine

theres also zalman and swiftech which make a fine product as well

Where did you get your thermaltake? their website doesn't sell directly, and the i can't find it on the sites that they say sell their stuff...

Ive had a Max3 since December and havent had any problems with the chipset fan... But I do have 2 x Vantec Tornado 119CFM fans in there so I really cant hear... When I look in my case the fan is still running

Just replace the northbridge HSF with a passive cooling solution and be done with it.

And I agree that you should do something about that rat's nest of wires. It probably prevents anything resembling decent airflow within the case.

When mine went out on my IC7-Max3. I just unplugged the fan. I never had a problem with the chipset getting to hot and causing a problem. That was with a 250FSB

chockomonkey said:
Where did you get your thermaltake? their website doesn't sell directly, and the i can't find it on the sites that they say sell their stuff...

NewEgg.com has it for $10.99, and xoxide.com has it for $15.99.

The A1899 seems a little gaudy to me. I'd probably end up with this unit instead, if it were me.

.B ekiM

Kingofl337 said:
When mine went out on my IC7-Max3. I just unplugged the fan. I never had a problem with the chipset getting to hot and causing a problem. That was with a 250FSB

how would you know if it was overheating? is there a way in the bios to make a warning or something? i know my bios has stuff like that for the main processor, but what about the northbridge?

Just replace the northbridge HSF with a passive cooling solution and be done with it.

and what is this "passive cooling solution" you speak of?

i got my A1899 at www.shoprbc.com they are located in my city so i just drove there to pick it up

also i read in a post earlier that thermalright has a NB-1C
http://www.thermalright.com/a_news/main_news_nb1c.htm

that looks like it will do a fairly good job

as for you guys about temps ask a friend with a nitro r/c car to lend you a temp gun

i have one for my r/c buggy and i use that to measure temps of almost anything
i got it from my local hobby shop i have the www.atomikrc.com micro temp gun

I am pretty fucking pissed off at the shoddy quality of northbridge fans... I mean how much do we pay for motherboards these days? $100? $150? almost $200? And the fucking fans just crap out after a few months.

I just ripped mine out, you don't need them anyways.

If i end up having to replace mine, I'd just get a passive heatsink and stick with that, you don't really need it all that much as long as you have decent airflow through the case. And yes, Abit's NB fans seem to go out quite often, seems like they could do a better job, and hopefully they will with their newer boards.

This is not just Abit, but a lot of manufactures use shitty fans on their heatsinks. My Gainward Geforce III fan went out after about a year, and looking at how it was built when I took it out kinda explained why...

chockomonkey said:
and what is this "passive cooling solution" you speak of?
A big heatsink? Those Zalman Northbridge heatsinks look quite nice.

MooCow said:
I am pretty fucking pissed off at the shoddy quality of northbridge fans... I mean how much do we pay for motherboards these days? $100? $150? almost $200? And the fucking fans just crap out after a few months.
Part of the blame goes to the manufacturers of those little 40mm fans. They're most likely sleeve bearing fans, so they die quickly. If motherboard manufacturers decided to put in some Sunon Maglev fans ($$), costs would go up significantly.

_Korruption_ said:
Part of the blame goes to the manufacturers of those little 40mm fans. They're most likely sleeve bearing fans, so they die quickly. If motherboard manufacturers decided to put in some Sunon Maglev fans ($$), costs would go up significantly.

Consider this topic nailed on the head.

No, more like don't put a fan on at all that will piss off half of users with that board. I never needed mine on my IS7.

I had the same buzzing fan on my Max3 too after about 6 months. I just unplugged it and was done with it. There's so much spillover airflow going out of my Panaflo H1A 92mm fan on my SP94 that it cools the CPU, NB heatsink (better than the wimpy fan on it was), my RAM modules, and anything else in the area.

Yep active cooling northbridge fans suck. My NF7-S, and both my AN7's had to have their fans replaced for the same exact problem. The NF7-s I purchased a Vantec Iceburg 4 thinking that it needed the active cooling. The other two got the sexy Zalman NB47J heatsink to go along with the dead sexy CNPS7000A-Cu.

You ask how I know it wasn't overheating. I know because I never had any problems with lockups. It ran 100% stable all the time. Its a pretty big heatsink for just a north bridge and if you have descent air flow it won't be a problem.

I'm a little scared to use thermal epoxy to mount one of those Zalman passive sinks - the NB on the i865 and i875 chipsets expose the core of the chip -- so I wouldn't want a heatsink ripping that off -- It seems like it would be too small of a surface area to hold on to without causing damage....

anybody's experience here would be appreciated.....

I've been hearing the noise for weeks. Opened her up to find one of those arch shaped pins popped out and the northbridge had been hanging off all this time. I had no stability issues despite my intakes and outtakes being fairly clogged up with dust and cathair :rolleyes:

Anyway, I krazy glued the pin back in. It pisses me off considering the money spent on this board.:mad: But.. I also hate waiting weeks for RMAs/new heatsinks/whatever.

Just waiting for the other one to pop out now... 3... 2... 1...

Back