id Software's Official DOOM3 Benchmarks

Even I'd buy a GT if you sold it for $300, I'll buy yours for $300. I haven't seen it anywhere for less than about $410.

Likewise if anyone wants to sell their X800XT PE for a good price, I'll take it.. PM me.

MrHappyGoLucky said:
Got a link showing official notice of this or just rumor? I seem to have read that it "will happen sometime", but will not be on the shipping version.

R.I.P. ATI X800 line.......................

It will be included through a patch after HL2 is released.

Operaghost said:
$300 beating a $500 card?
Link me a site that has a GT for 300 bucks, they are all being sold for 400-450 now
That's $300 manufacturers suggested retail price....the demand is driving the price up.

burningrave101 said:

most likely not right away though, of course they'll keep updating the source engine with patches, but theres no hard data from valve about specifically adding SM3.0 at a certain point in time, simply the fact that they will add it, and at some point before we're all dead.

burningrave101 said:

Nice link!

My bet is since the game won't ship until what, November, we won't see a patch for a good four months after. By then ATI will have SM3.0 parts. What you fail to realize is 3dc will be included in the shipping product. That doesn't mean that the 6800 won't still beat the X800 in HL2.

/ 1/2 to buying a GT.

Glad to finally see some real world numbers for Doom3. I would have been interested in seeing numbers from a plain 6800 included in the bench-o-mercial but all in good time. :D

What do you think will be ATI"s official response?

As usual, probably absolutely nothing. They didn't even bother to use the websites that were hyping up the 9700pro when there were many benchies that were 300 percent faster Nvidia. ATi did not bother to advertise the 800XT beating out the 6800 in D3D either. ATi will quietly reverse engineer the OpenGL, and have a comparable speed driver a couple months down the road (but probably too late, as people will have finished the game by then)

Nvidia on the other hand - I'm sure will plaster the 15 percent FPS difference everywhere.

Personally I am gonna hold out a little longer before I decide on which card to go with, since I'm waiting on the Intel price drop coming next month. Besides, the majority of upcoming games don't use OpenGL. I'm not saying that the Nvidia cards suck at DX9, but simply that the ATI cards won't be that bad off. Also, the review said they played Doom3 on a 1.5 ghz box with some 2nd to last gen vid cards so it isn't like the X800 cards won't run this game plenty fast enough. I think too many people here are extremists with benchmark numbers. All that matters to me is that the game runs flawlessly without any hicthes and that it looks good doing it. I could care less if the GT has 20 FPS average over an X800 Pro for one measly openGL game title, the Pro will still run the game beautifully. Please remember, there is life after Doom3. Course I'm a little biased since I've impatiently been awaiting HL2 for ages, but I also can't wait to play Stalker, Splinter Cell 3, EQ2, Vanguard, which I have no doubt in my mind that the X800 series cards will perform very well in.

NOTD665 said:
Smarty Jones is leading.

Hahaha, all that hype and that jerkass horse lost.

You GT owners must be lovn' life after a year of shame the FX brought. ati got worked in those benches, the pro is just....disappointing.

ATI better be locking their driver team away until they cook something up.

wow, ATI got worked....

Its been a wile sinc iv been excited to get anew NVIDIA card....Im glad i waited for Doom3 before upgrading my 9800pro... That GT looks asome!

Well, I guess an X800 Pro would STILL be a decent upgrade over a 9800 Pro...

(keep telling myself, keep telling myself)

:D

This all make me think of something, ....

Hopefully All the 98/9600 XT owners will finally get there free HL2 when it comes out.....what a joke...

Torquemada XP said:
Well, I guess an X800 Pro would STILL be a decent upgrade over a 9800 Pro...

(keep telling myself, keep telling myself)

:D
hardly... :(

The article seem to be a marketing trick for ID and Nvidia.
With the poor benches for 9800XT and FX 5950 Ultra, i really doubt that D3 can run on a P4 1.5 MHz and a GF4MX440. Why did'nt the article post some benchmarks for that system. Could be interesting to see how the IQ and AA/AF settings should be... :rolleyes:

Ill be picking up my BFG 6800 Ultra OC tommorow, that what the tech dude at Best buys said they will be in. 529.98 after tax's

ZenOps said:
ATi couldn't pull a good OpenGL driver out of their hat in time, too bad for ATi. Its obviously not a hardware issue, because it does so well in D3D (and theres really no reason for a performance disparage other than really good D3D or really bad OpenGL)

Heh or potentially the hardware just doesn't do certain things well that only Doom 3 does.

Xander2None said:
With the poor benches for 9800XT and FX 5950 Ultra, i really doubt that D3 can run on a P4 and a GF4MX440. Why did'nt the article post some benchmarks for that system. Could be interesting to see how the IQ and AA/AF settings should be... :rolleyes:

Or Hard[OCP] was in a rush to get it out ASAP and might not have had much choice in hardware since it was on systems id had setup (hmmm I really can't see the point of testing a GF4MX440 in a P4 3.2GHz system with 2GB RAM but maybe thats just me).

Can't blame id not trusting anyone anymore.

Operaghost said:
Personally I am gonna hold out a little longer before I decide on which card to go with, since I'm waiting on the Intel price drop coming next month. Besides, the majority of upcoming games don't use OpenGL. I'm not saying that the Nvidia cards suck at DX9, but simply that the ATI cards won't be that bad off. Also, the review said they played Doom3 on a 1.5 ghz box with some 2nd to last gen vid cards so it isn't like the X800 cards won't run this game plenty fast enough. I think too many people here are extremists with benchmark numbers. All that matters to me is that the game runs flawlessly without any hicthes and that it looks good doing it. I could care less if the GT has 20 FPS average over an X800 Pro for one measly openGL game title, the Pro will still run the game beautifully. Please remember, there is life after Doom3. Course I'm a little biased since I've impatiently been awaiting HL2 for ages, but I also can't wait to play Stalker, Splinter Cell 3, EQ2, Vanguard, which I have no doubt in my mind that the X800 series cards will perform very well in.

I think you're on your own here. This forum pretty much caters to extreme hardware and performance, you may not care about 20 FPS, but I can assure you that everyone else who just read that article is saying "wow".

Ever since the 9700 pro came out ATI has put all their eggs in the DX9 basket. They have sacrificed OpenGL support, Linux support, multiple monitor support and now they refuse to give full image quality control all in the name of superior DX9 performance which, 99% of the time, translates to better game performance. And now it's biting them right on the ass. No doubt ATI will have a much better showing in HL2, but as of right now, ATI hasn't given anyone a compelling reason to but the Pro instead of the GT, and this latest benchmark only further cements that.

ThisMonsterLives said:
who has the BFG GT OC for around $400

of course an Ultra would be better.

They should be at frys again soon. Frys in Austin has gotten 2 shipments, both sold out within a week. They are expecting more this week, including Ultras (so they said) but that's where I got my GT.

I(illa Bee said:
This all make me think of something, ....

Hopefully All the 98/9600 XT owners will finally get there free HL2 when it comes out.....what a joke...

Why is it a joke? It will still be free, whenever it comes out. Its still going to save people $50.

This really isnt a suprise, Doom3 was built around nVidia's hardware. Hopefully they will release some numbers with a lower res, say 1280x1024. With other reviews that are not done at id. Not that Im saying id is doing anything wrong, just that Id like to see some more hardware variation. AMD systems, different resolutions, etc.

I hope other games come out with Doom3's engine pretty fast. Because its looking really good, but I doubt Ill play thru the game more than twice. After that, its useless for me. Same for Farcry, Ive played thrue it twice. All this hype about the patches and other stuff doesnt mean anything to me, because Im done with it. At least until they release a expansion pack, if they do.

edit,

ThisMonsterLives said:
heh, well if anyone wants a real XT PE never been overclocked....I'm considering a trade here. :(

I have a BFG 6800 GT OC that I will trade you for it. If you're serious PM me.

If I can run the game @ 1024x768 (maybe even 1280x1024?) 2xAA, 8xAF @ ~30fps consistently on the sig rig then I'll be happy. From these benchies it looks like that will be true. :D

Xander2None said:
With the poor benches for 9800XT and FX 5950 Ultra, i really doubt that D3 can run on a P4 1.5 MHz and a GF4MX440. Why did'nt the article post some benchmarks for that system. Could be interesting to see how the IQ and AA/AF settings should be... :rolleyes:

A marketing trick, lol. Ya, the same kind of marketing Coke has against pepsi...it just taste better.

Marketing the facts, Nvidia kicks ass on this game, it's always been that way, that's what they've been planning since the conception of Nv40, and that's what they've always said. Truth kinda hurts huh?

[/QUOTE]

Or Hard[OCP] was in a rush to get it out ASAP and might not have had much choice in hardware since it was on systems id had setup (hmmm I really can't see the point of testing a GF4MX440 in a P4 3.2GHz system with 2GB RAM but maybe thats just me).

Can't blame id not trusting anyone anymore.[/QUOTE]

Maybe your are right. But for the future it could be really nice to see some benches with a low end system. It could become a problem if people with low end systems are preording D3 by advice from hardocp, and then realise that they can play in 320x240... :D

well....maybe I will switch to nvidia the next round of upgrades...I'll probably wait for more intensive gaming benchmarks to come out though.

fallguy said:
This really isnt a suprise, Doom3 was built around nVidia's hardware.

You're absolutely wrong. If you'll remember way back when the first time Doom3 was shown to the public is was done so with ATI hardware, the 9700Pro.

Doom3 was built on OpenGL, a tried and true standard that was around long before direct3d and long before Nvidia and ATI were making video cards to accelerate it. ATI chose not to emphasize OpenGL driver development and now they are paying for it. Even they realize this as they are currently completely rewriting thier OpenGL driver.

Gotta love this statement ...
Looking at the cream of the crop in video cards, it is painfully obvious that ATI is going to have to make some changes in their product line to stay competitive, at least with DOOM 3 gamers. There is no way for a $500 X800XT-PE to compete with a $400 6800GT when the GT is simply going to outperform the more expensive card by a good margin.

I'm a Doom 3 gamer :D Thank God for for my GT !

Being shown on a certain card, doesnt mean it was built for it. It was far and away the best card at the time.I remember many times its been said it was built around the GF3. No I dont have link, and if Im wrong, please provide links.

One game gets alittle better fps ..OH NO MY X800XT IS CRAP!!! :p
please one game isn't worth 400 dollars ..

Back