IDE -> SATA converter causes reboot?

zenzog

Limp Gawd
Got a quick question, not sure if this should go in this section or the motherboard forum, but...

I've been using an IDE -> SATA adapter for a long time and it's worked without any questions asked. However, just today, after I took apart my computer to re-route some wires, my computer has started rebooting during POST at the 'Detecting IDE Drives' stage.

I know it's got to do with the drive now since I:
1. Switched drives. Moved the one using the adapter to a direct IDE connection and another working drive to the converter.
2. Unplugged the drive using the adapter and found that my computer boots fine.
3. Switched SATA cables/ports (on the motherboard) to find that it still didn't work.

I thought maybe my motherboard was spazzing out, so I re-flashed the BIOS to the latest 1.C bios. Still no go.

I'm using an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

All the other specs seem unnecessary, but... dunno!

I guess I could just buy an ATA controller, but those are sometimes expensive. :(

Thanks in advance.

P.S. A thought just occurred to me. Maybe I don't have the jumpers set correctly, ie: Master w/Slave Present, instead of just Master.
I'll go check that now, but I'll still post this!

Well, that was the problem.

But, now that I read my post again, I think I left out some details.
The reason I switched the drives in the first place was because my other drive which was previously connected via this adapter wasn't showing up in the bios.

The drive that had the wrong jumper WAS a master drive previously, but some drives don't make the distinction between 'Master' and 'Master w/Slave Present' and it slipped my mind to double check the jumper. (So I don't feel too bad.)

:rolleyes:

Back