IDE vs AHCI

aethelwulf

[H]ard|Gawd
So after putting together my new system I was in the BIOS and noticed that my HDDs are set to run in IDE mode instead of AHCI. I've switched it back and forth between the two a couple times now, without any real noticable effect, but I haven't made an effort to test it either. I don't really know too much about AHCI, so what kind of differences should I see switching between the two. I would assume that AHCI would be the superior interface, but educate me! Thanks!

ahci lets you hot swap the drives and enables ncq (which doesn't do much for desktop computers)

ahci lets you hot swap the drives and enables ncq (which doesn't do much for desktop computers)

but it's such a cool acronym :) Kind of like SATA 3.0 Gbps, PCIe 2.0, & Tri-SLI

*PS* if they're offered w/zero-minimal cost I'll take'em, but won't be expecting too much in terms of performance

well you get better power save modes with achi, and i love my trayless sata hot swap bay. Hell ive stopped burning dvds because of it. Its real easy to just pop in a 320gig hd just like a cd and then transfer to it at 75 megs a sec. And after awhile i can just delete stuff off of it unlike a dvd.

I dont see any performance differences in terms of file transfer though. Ive heard it helps with random writes.

Back