ideas about dual comps/1 case

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
maybe THIS would be better suited here

hey all...well my SK41Gs PSU went belly up and I am exploring a few options here

1) break down and just buy a new damn PSU for the comp
2) get a new case (non ssf) and see if I can transplant the guts into that
3) get a new system with a large enough case to also put the guts of my SK41G and run off a KVM

now here are my issues:

I don't want to dump too much money into this since I am wanting to upgrade before too long anyway and that will be a new system for the most part and the cheapest PSU I have been able to find is about $60 shipped...now if I am going to have to spend $60 just for a PSU I can pick up a decent case for right about that which brings option #2 into play and another issue...can you mount these boards vertically? I am concerened that if I did that it would put too much of a strain on the heat pipe and damage the board/CPU

now if I go with option 3 then there would be some modding challenges but I think it could be done with a Y adapter for the PSU and since it would just be the mobo and CPU don't think there would be that much of an extra load on the system and then I could have a server in my box as well as my main rig

You want to Y 24 wires? I don't envy that. :(

If you do try this, just make sure you don't Y the power-on wire; that seems like it would cause very bad things to happen. Also, the BIOS of whichever motherboard is NOT connected to the power-on wire needs to be set to turn on when it receives power.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you, but it sounds like you could end up ruining at least 2 motherboards.

Why not (for now at least) buy an ATX power supply you plan on using in your next system, and run that outside the back of the SFF. That will at least make your need for a new machine significantly less urgent and you can delay your upgrade a little longer.

i always wanted to do this but never had some good systems or money to do it, ill be watching thins. good luck

well I am thinking about doing one of a couple of things for the power...either run them in parallel or pull the power button from the shuttle case and mount that and I know there are premade Y adapters so that shouldn't be an issue unless I have to "extend" it which I may have to

ultimately I would like to see the shuttle guts at the bottom of the case (it should fit barely) and do it just to say that I did it but who knows...I might have to part the shuttle out to help finance the main comp

well stage one went fairly well...got everything moved over to a new Antec 1650B case and it is working fine...I had to cut the bottom of the shuttle case out for the mounting points and then mount to the case but it worked...don't know if I will be able to get 2 into this case since I am about 1mm (or less) to wide on the shuttles mobo but that is for another time...I am just glad to be back up

remember-- most of the load of the computer comes from the processor... that’s why they expanded ATX from 20 to 24: 4 extra power wires for the CPU. having a second CPU could seriously strain any PSU. i would just wait till you had enough money to buy a second PSU. JMHO

Back