Ideas for a server hush box?

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dell poweredge R720 2U server, corsair carbide 500R case, and possibly a noisy 24port POE switch.

I was thinking of making a hush box for all of this since a noise isolation rack is like $1500+.

Im just not sure where to start. I was honestly thinking of putting a 55 gallon drum on its side, lining it with sound deadening. Placing 2-3 120mm 300cfm fans in a ducting fashion for intake/exhaust in a way that that would have the fan noise bouncing off several angles of sound dead before reaching the real world.

I think this would be cheaper/easier than 2-3 sheets of plywood.

Use the wood, a drum will resonate sometimes even with sound deadening put in it.

What I do if needed is build a full "room" with a door and sound deadening inside of a closet.

I would either go with Wood, or go with a dedicated closet.

Wood will naturally deaden some of the vibration and sound, and a layer of decent foam inside would knock a lot more off.

As for fans, don't use 120MM fans, that's ridiculous. You're trying to make the box quieter.

Put a pair of 200mm case fans on the front, instead.

you could build a baffle box like this. I know his is for w/c gear but you could scale it up to fix you equipment. seems to work pretty damn good.

Back