ideas for re-using the old setup

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
Built my first WC setup 3 years ago, trying to decide where to go for my next build and would like comments on the layout.

Coolermaster Stacker case
Danger den D4 pump (older noisier one)
DD dual radiator with DD shroud and extra cardboard standoff
RBX waterblock, drilled to fit an evga 6800 ultra
TDX for A64
PVC pipe reservoir
1/2" ID tygon tubing

The pump is in the front of the case and the direction is pump->rad->GPU->CPU->reservoir->pump

No kinks or real sharp bends and the paths seemed straightforward at the time. I made the vents/holes in the bottom of the case larger to fit the radiator. I also have a cardboard shroud on top of the radiator fans to direct the air over the northbridge, which unfortunately is right below the video card. I think air cooling the NB on a socket 754 was a mistake, it got quite hot and i think it was my limiting factor for OC'ing.

1) how much of this can i safely re-use? I'll probably build a core 2 in the near future.
2) Any suggestions on where/how to add a drainage port? I tried a T-fitting with a plastic valve from ace hardware and it dripped badly.
3) The pump is whiny, but tolerable. Is there any market for selling a 3 y/o water pump? its only seen nighttime and weekend use.
4) any other suggested changes? junk it and start over with a new case?
5) should I move the radiator so I can put in a 2nd PSU for the pump and fans? I think this setup killed my 550w fortron PSU recently.

black_b[ ]x;1031240660 said:
1) how much of this can i safely re-use? I'll probably build a core 2 in the near future.

The case, the radiator, and the pump would be the only worthwhile things to be reusable.

2) Any suggestions on where/how to add a drainage port? I tried a T-fitting with a plastic valve from ace hardware and it dripped badly.

Here's my method that can be reused time and again across multiple loops without taking up much room in your case:

Here's how a complete drain line would look:

T off of the T-line -> tubing -> Alphacool Quick Disconnect - female || Alphacool Quick Disconnect - Male -> tubing -> Alphacool Ball Valve -> tubing -> DD fill port.

Now say you have 3 loops like I do, you'll have a bunch of these in your loops:

CPU Loop: T off of the T-line -> tubing -> Alphacool Quick Disconnect - female

GPU Loop: T off of the T-line -> tubing -> Alphacool Quick Disconnect - female

Chipset Loop: T off of the T-line -> tubing -> Alphacool Quick Disconnect - female

Basically those lines off the T will extend only about 2" outward, making it much easier to keep hidden or tidy.

Now when you want to drain, create only one of these: Alphacool Quick Disconnect - Male -> tubing -> Alphacool Ball Valve -> tubing -> DD fill port.

Connect it to whatever loop you want to drain, drain it, then disconnect it and move onto the next line or throw it in storage somewhere.

3) The pump is whiny, but tolerable. Is there any market for selling a 3 y/o water pump? its only seen nighttime and weekend use.
I know what you mean by it being whiney. You might be able to sell it for a few bucks but I don't see it fetching anything more than maybe $10. If you're looking for another pump, then consider either a D5 or DDC w/ aftermarket top.

4) any other suggested changes? junk it and start over with a new case?

1) Keep the case
2) Get a D-Tek Fuzion CPU block
3) Get a new pump, DDC w/ aftermarket top
4) Get an MCW60 for your GPU block
5) Consider either adding a Swiftech MCR220 radiator to your loop for two rads, or replace it entirely with a Thermochill PA120.3 or Swiftech MCR320 if you can fit it.

5) should I move the radiator so I can put in a 2nd PSU for the pump and fans? I think this setup killed my 550w fortron PSU recently.

Just get a new PSU 700W+, preferably from a reputable vendor like PCP&C. The pumps and fans don't draw that much power to justify the cost/hassle of a 2nd PSU.

Back