IE9 RC released.

devil22

2[H]4U
x86:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...82-84DD-C46C46C6FE50/IE9-Windows7-x86-enu.exe

x64:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...82-84DD-C46C46C6FE50/IE9-Windows7-x64-enu.exe

The x64 is for x64 OSes, and it installs x86 and x64 versions of IE9 RC.

I installed it a while ago, all the sites I tried worked perfectly, and it has new features like tracking list and activex filtering.

Tracking lists allow you to disable tracking from web sites that track your web browsing..
Active-X filtering allows you to enable/disable active-x controls on a per page process, it's an improvement over active-x approved domains and regular active-x prompting as you only have to enable it once per site and all controls load, instead of having to click OK to many different active-x controls per page with the previous method. And when you're done you can select disable to disable all active-x controls again, or just leave them enabled for that web page. Pretty nice for the security conscious.

The browser GUI now has square browser tabs (which look nicer than they sound) and the ability to put tabs below the address bar if you're the type to have many tabs open.

Enjoy. (please no "I don't use IE" etc. posts, make your own thread.)

I've been solely using IE9 beta since its release and I was surprised at how much better the RC is. All signs point to a great browser once it hits RTM.

I really liked IE9. I just didn't keep it on because some of the Microsoft Labs I was using did not support it.

I like it but is there any way to remove the search icon from the address bar?...I keep hitting that icon by accident when I want to select a site from my drop down address bar list

Doing that does the same thing as clicking the arrow right of the search icon for me... unless that's not what you want to do.

Doing that does the same thing as clicking the arrow right of the search icon for me... unless that's not what you want to do.

nope I want to remove the search icon (magnifying glass) right before that arrow...probably not possible though :(

anyone using the tracking protection lists?...which one is best to use?

Remove the search icon because you accidentally hit it when trying to click the down arrow - that's the part I understood. What I meant, though, was that instead of trying to click on the arrow, that combination of keys could be better way to accomplish what you want?

nope I want to remove the search icon (magnifying glass) right before that arrow...probably not possible though :(

anyone using the tracking protection lists?...which one is best to use?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/Default.html

What I meant, though, was that instead of trying to click on the arrow, that combination of keys could be better way to accomplish what you want?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/Default.html

thanks for the clarification...you're right that it works using the Ctrl + L method but I'd prefer using the keyboard less during my browsing...I'm a mouse guy and prefer everything to go through that first...especially when trying to select a website from my most commonly visited sites in the address bar...I guess I'm used to doing things a certain way...having to hit Ctrl + L would force me to change my browsing methods :D

so I used the TRUSTe tracking protection list but am confused as to whether it's best to use multiple tracking company lists or just 1...there are others available such as PrivacyChoice, EasyPrivacy and Abine...do these block lists even really work?

I tried installing this and keep getting this error.

So will be sticking the the pervious beta until I can figure out what is going on.

I like it but is there any way to remove the search icon from the address bar?...I keep hitting that icon by accident when I want to select a site from my drop down address bar list

Tools > Internet Options > Search > settings, and remove the check mark next to "Search in the address bar" way down at the bottom of the window..

Tools > Internet Options > Search > settings, and remove the check mark next to "Search in the address bar" way down at the bottom of the window..

While technically that's a "solution," it has the side effect of disabling the search functionality from the address bar entirely. I think that person wanted a way to keep the search ability yet remove the icon... which doesn't appear to be a possibility, unfortunately.

Personally I am not a fan of a single bar that does everything; I prefer Firefox's search box myself... and IE8, etc. "One bar that does it all" just isn't a good idea in my opinion, since you tie things into the bar - like that Search icon - and can't get rid of it without breaking something in the process.

Yeah, its one or the other. My Home page is set to Google, so I just open a new tab when I need to search for something on the web. I never search from the address bar. I guess another option if you disable it is to add a Google or Bing search toolbar. Still not an ideal solution though.

While technically that's a "solution," it has the side effect of disabling the search functionality from the address bar entirely. I think that person wanted a way to keep the search ability yet remove the icon... which doesn't appear to be a possibility, unfortunately.

yup that's exactly what I wanted to do, remove the icon but keep the search functionality...but like you said I don't think it's possible...probably will just take some time to get used to

I don't know why MS keeps moving things to drastically different locations from one version of IE to another...with IE9 they moved the Favorites list all the way from the left side of the screen to the right side...and the information bar pop ups from the top of the screen to the bottom (I actually like this change though)...makes getting used to the new layout a bit more time consuming as I've gotten used to the old locations and automatically shift my mouse to that location first before realizing it's not there anymore

Just found a cool option that is disabled by default:

Under the tab options in the general settings is a quick tab switcher. Once enabled ctrl-q gives a nice fast tab switching that looks like a single pane of FF tab candy.

And of course the standard disclaimer applies:

Nobody is forcing anybody to actually run IE9, at least not for several years to come. If history serves things right, it'll be at least 2 solid years from now before IE9 is an absolute requirement for Windows users, meaning to use Windows Update, etc.

Things change, and people have a tough time with it... while I do find the RC pretty damned snappy and fast (some of my familiar "slow" sites like Frys.com are incredibly responsive with IE9 and nothing else, not even the latest Chromium nightly builds which is pretty remarkable), I still prefer Firefox overall.

But knowing I can fire up IE9 in about 1 second flat even after a cold boot keeps it useful from time to time when I do want to visit such a site as Frys.com and get what I want to do done so I can get on to something else.

And I don't even have access to the actual GPU acceleration features, go figure... ;)

Back