If all 22 inch monitors are crappy TN panels, which one should I get?

ForBuilding

Limp Gawd
I was thinking of getting a 22 inch monitor, because my 20 inch monitor is a little too high in resolution for my dad. He can't read the small print and actually prefers the a bigger, non-native resolution because the words are bigger. Anyway, coming from a Dell 2001FP (S-IPS) I know what a good monitor is.

But looking into a 22 inch monitor, it is obvious that they are ALL horrible TN panels. So if they are all horrible TN panels, which one should I get? the cheapest one?

Basically, what should I look for in getting a 22 inch monitor if all of them are basically TN panels? The only difference would be build quality, adjustability, and warranty? Experts, I'm looking for your input.

30 seconds ago I mentioned the
acer al2216wbd in another post.
$200, probably would be my first
choice in that budget, although the
19" x193wbg, 50 dollars less, also
would be usable from what I
ascertained. (Seen in the store
this afternoon)

The HP LP2275W is a 22" LCD monitor that uses a S-PVA panel.

The 22" Lenovo L220x also uses a S-PVA panel, but it's resolution is 1920 x 1200. Text will be too small for your dad to read most likely.

I'm sorry if this feels like an advertisement, but I have a LG 22" L226WTQ-BF monitor that I will be selling. I just can't post in the BST forums yet...

You mentioned adjustability, build quality, and warranty. Personally I think that the build quality on this LG is pretty good. It's a solid device in my opinion. It does not have a height adjustment, just a tilt. It also has a so called "48 hour Quick Swap warranty" which to me seems pretty good, but I have no idea about LG's customer service.

It's a good monitor in the $200 range, but it depends on what your dad needs. If you need vivid colors and a higher quality product, then do consider my monitor. If you need glossy then perhaps look at HP's offerings. What's your budget like?

I bought the glossy version of the 22", the L227WTG-PF, on a deal at Best Buy. I really don't need two monitors and I'm on a tight budget. The two share similar characteristics, and in my opinion the glossy is a bit easier on my eyes. There's nothing wrong with the L226WTQ, it's more of an impulsive buy in my part.

A 19' 4:3 at 1280x1024 will have a larger pixel-pitch and thus be easier to read text for older people, than a 20-22' at 1680x1050.
I got the Philips 190P that pivots too for my mum, and it is great. You can have two of them side to side as the frame is thin. Excellent choice.

The other way to go is buy a 32' HD ready TV set at 1360x768 , which has a pretty high pixel-pitch too and doubles as a tv.

That screen is "1x Winner of Customer Choice Award - LCD Monitors" on newegg.

I think I saw it a bit cheaper some time ago, or maybe I'm thinking on a similar model. Either way seems like a nice display and a good bang for the buck ;)
ecstatic.gif

This sounds like a cop-out, but you pretty much have to experiment a little with 22 inch TNs. A lot of highly rated (by reviewers and users) models can have terrible quality and some crappy rated ones can be quite good. I noticed in my shopping for one last fall that build quality is completely hit and miss, even within the same brand and model number. Many manufacturers use panels from several suppliers for the same model and that can affect the picture quality. Plus the usual back light bleeding and dead/stuck pixel problems from one monitor to another.

Its very frustrating. I took a half dozen back until I hit upon a Samsung panel HP w2207h that had good image quality, little back light bleeding and no stuck or dead pixels. Look for generally good reviews, but be prepared to get a dud in spite of that. It might take a few trips back to the store to get a good one (and for that reason I'd suggest going to a brick and mortar with an easy return policy).

Thanks for all your reply guys, I especially enjoyed the information about the HP LP2275w because it is a S-PVA panel and all the other good discussions about TN panels. Further research, however, shows it has lots of problems and rarely is a customer that bought it happy with it, although it is rated high by "review" sites such as Cnet.

Thanks drtc for the mention about the 19 inch models, everyone is looking 20" and up these days, so it was a smart move to consider the 19 inch monitors. I never considered the 32" HD ready TVs, but that seems possible as well, but also the most expensive option. Of course, it doubles as a TV, so there is some value to that, I don't watch much TV so yeah..

Thanks everyone else for their personal recommendations and Jeffredo for echoing my headache as well! That's why I wrote here, but I guess buying things the hard way, buying and returning, works well if you want the best.

Thanks for the recommendation Speedwagon, I definitely looked into that one because its so cheap and rated so highly, so you like that one? Have you ever had a S-IPS panel to compare it to?

I appreciate all your input ShinyFalcon about the LG monitors. Have you ever had a S-IPS to compare it to? My dad actually has a 20 inch TN panel and it looks great actually, but compared to my S-PVA which is not as good as an S-IPS, the color reproduction is horrible. Do let me know.

I've only seen a higher panel in my father's HDTV, but I don't know if they're in the same range with PC monitors. It's a 40" Sony HDTV, I think it's model is the kdl-40v3000, and I don't know what panel it uses. I haven't gone too deeply into calibrating it, so I don't have too much experience with it unfortunately.

Back