If Man Walked on the Moon Today

I have no audio here @ work :( I'm deff checkin' it out later...

LMAO @ the Twitter posts! "Suck it, China!"

B-B-B-B-B-BUFFERING. What the hell is with youtube these days? Is it just me or what?

There'd still be freaks claiming it was all some big George Lucas/ Capricorn One style fabrication.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't watch HD versions of YouTube without letting it load most of the way first. I thought I must be doing somethign wrong. I have a 25mbps Comcast connection at home and half the time the movie plays faster than it loads. I spend a lot of time looking at the spinning circle loading thingy. I have to hit pause and let it load for awhile before playing.

Yay we managed to travel a whole ~250,000 miles away from Earth and make it back!!! Wow what an accomplishment? Keep blowing people up, it's not spaceflight and it's not going to get us anything we don't already have. It wasn't a waste back in the 1960's because it did help develop important technologies, but what more can it give us today? After more then 40 years there is only so much you can get out of blowing people up into space. Focus should be on moving towards true sustainable spaceflight and on the physicists who have real visions to create *NEW* technology,... instead of stinky ole rockets that constantly have breakdowns.

oops, forgot to add my 2 cents on the topic at hand: Hillarious :-D

My only thoughts where "ok that was pretty obvious.. not very funny".

B-B-B-B-B-BUFFERING. What the hell is with youtube these days? Is it just me or what?

No, it's not just you. Even SD videos have been loading really slow for the past few months.

oddly enough, if I tether with my iphone, the speed is great. Has to be something with one (or more) of their servers

Yay we managed to travel a whole ~250,000 miles away from Earth and make it back!!! Wow what an accomplishment? Keep blowing people up, it's not spaceflight and it's not going to get us anything we don't already have. It wasn't a waste back in the 1960's because it did help develop important technologies, but what more can it give us today? After more then 40 years there is only so much you can get out of blowing people up into space. Focus should be on moving towards true sustainable spaceflight and on the physicists who have real visions to create *NEW* technology,... instead of stinky ole rockets that constantly have breakdowns.

Since you know so much about space exploration, I'll assume you know the biggest factor keeping us in the neighborhood of the solar system and our planet is fuel - expended in vast quantities just getting out of our atmosphere and gravity - which is why we need a base on the moon for mining water for fuel (hydrogen) and perhaps a stardock in space too. :rolleyes:

The Saturn V was a wonderful rocket. We could have lifted the equivalent of all the current successful Space Shuttle missions (127 launches) with 26 Saturn V launches. It would also have only cost half as much.

40 years ago we were ready to do Venus and Mars flybys, build lunar colonies, and gear up for going to Mars around 1985. Today we can't even get out of low Earth orbit.

The Saturn V was a wonderful rocket. We could have lifted the equivalent of all the current successful Space Shuttle missions (127 launches) with 26 Saturn V launches. It would also have only cost half as much.

40 years ago we were ready to do Venus and Mars flybys, build lunar colonies, and gear up for going to Mars around 1985. Today we can't even get out of low Earth orbit.

Because now it has to be powered by wind and solar so once NASA figures out how to use solar power to launch a rocket and wind power once its in space, we will be able to travel to other planets :p

Since you know so much about space exploration, I'll assume you know the biggest factor keeping us in the neighborhood of the solar system and our planet is fuel - expended in vast quantities just getting out of our atmosphere and gravity - which is why we need a base on the moon for mining water for fuel (hydrogen) and perhaps a stardock in space too. :rolleyes:

So we can do what with this base? Fly to mars and learn/accomplish what? Just to say we did it? Time to move past the whole concept of rockets. It's time for basic science advancement and less engineering duct tape.

So we can do what with this base? Fly to mars and learn/accomplish what? Just to say we did it? Time to move past the whole concept of rockets. It's time for basic science advancement and less engineering duct tape.

I believe that's the argument for a tethered space station/space elevator. Its very dangerous (and expensive) sending people up on a rocket, but if it's possible to start colonizing space without the need to send a rocket, it opens a bunch of doors. Imagine the power we could produce from a huge solar farm in space :D

With that said, I still think that going up now has it's benefits. There is plenty we don't know about how people can survive in space

At least now I know I'm not the only person with loading problems for youtube videos.

I believe that's the argument for a tethered space station/space elevator. Its very dangerous (and expensive) sending people up on a rocket, but if it's possible to start colonizing space without the need to send a rocket, it opens a bunch of doors. Imagine the power we could produce from a huge solar farm in space :D

With that said, I still think that going up now has it's benefits. There is plenty we don't know about how people can survive in space

Space elevator for FTW.
And we need to get to other planets, to start terraforming or at least setting up self sustaining environments so we can expand humanity. being placed on one planet leaves us very vulnerable to extinction. Just yesterday another object hit Jupiter and no one even knew it was coming. The object that hit Jupiter would have wiped out everything on Earth.

BTW in case you can't tell I'm talking about firing up many particle colliders and really getting some answers to the universe. The kinda things that would make the LHC look like a kids toy. The kinda colliders that won't make physicists keep begging for bigger and more powerful facilities. Real science to bring us those damn flying cars, because there will be no space age without flying cars I tell you! Gravity generators, matter conversion, energy manipulation, nanotech, that type of startrekish stuff.

I didn't hear about that, pretty scary stuff.... then again, an asteroid hitting Jupiter is like shooting the broad side of a barn in our solar system :D

I wonder if they'll ever successfully build one (an elevator). I saw a special about it and they outlined the potential disaster that could happen if it ever became untethered from earth (a building running along the surface of the earth @ 18K mph lol)

No, it's not just you. Even SD videos have been loading really slow for the past few months.

oddly enough, if I tether with my iphone, the speed is great. Has to be something with one (or more) of their servers

yea, i'm on a 30MB here at work, and youtube is ridiculously slow for me.

These are the voyages of the man. Its life long mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations — to boldly go where no man has gone before

Ok I'm going against the grain here.. the video was funny as fucking hell!

I think the whole point of it was, compared to the original moon landing, where the news actually just showed the moon landing, since it was historic as hell, today's news would throw up graphs, talk to random people in the streets, have panels of "experts", have a "virtual Armstrong", and TWITTER! while occasionally showing little bits in a small box of the screen.

I didn't hear about that, pretty scary stuff.... then again, an asteroid hitting Jupiter is like shooting the broad side of a barn in our solar system :D

Not exactly. While Jupiter is big, the solar system is muuuuuuuuuchhhh bigger. With the amount of debris still floating around out there we could be wiped out in an instant and no one would have ever seen it coming.

Neil's tweet would have been "That's one small step for man, one giant tweet for mankind..."

Wouldn't at least one of the tweets have been "Hey Buzz, I heard next Neil plans to probe Uranus?"

Not exactly. While Jupiter is big, the solar system is muuuuuuuuuchhhh bigger. With the amount of debris still floating around out there we could be wiped out in an instant and no one would have ever seen it coming.

oh please, go study astronomy.

for a start study our orbit, the solar system and rate of orbit, the galaxy orbit.. some physics and come back will you.

BTW in case you can't tell I'm talking about firing up many particle colliders and really getting some answers to the universe. The kinda things that would make the LHC look like a kids toy. The kinda colliders that won't make physicists keep begging for bigger and more powerful facilities. Real science to bring us those damn flying cars, because there will be no space age without flying cars I tell you! Gravity generators, matter conversion, energy manipulation, nanotech, that type of startrekish stuff.

Well, we gotta find out if our understanding of the laws of physics are correct. Supposedly the LHC will tell us that...if it ever gets back to working.

oh please, go study astronomy.

for a start study our orbit, the solar system and rate of orbit, the galaxy orbit.. some physics and come back will you.

What he said is correct. Jupiter is big, but its not like "hitting the broad side of a barn."

Something big is bound to hit Earth again. Its only a matter of time.

No, we weren't. I give my greatest respect to the engineers who were able to get man to the moon nine times without loss of life using 1970s technology. However, that politically-motivated space program simply was not sustainable. It's a miracle we did as well as we did, and didn't have more accidents. Had the space program continued forward at the rate it was going in the 1960s, there would have surely been many, many accidents. The technology just wasn't there.

Now, it is here, and as soon as NASA starts getting some better funding, we can start going to other planets.

The earth gets pelted with shit daily.. most of it just isn't big enough to come through without burning up and do damage. We monitor space for inbound objects, but it's not nearly as good as the movies make it seem. You can't cover 360 degrees of the entire universe around us.. we just don't have the computing power or even the technology. We do bits and pieces looking for trajectories that are coming in our general direction. The odds of an object striking earth that's large enough to destroy it (or just destroy humanity) are slim, but it's very possible, because we can see craters where it has happened in the past. Then again, we could also get hit with a random gamma burst that we would never see coming that would just fry the planet.

Dude, come on. The aliens at area 51 aren't ready to give over their FTL warp type engines yet. We need to earn it. DO YOU HEAR ME?!!?!?! EARN IT!!!

</sarcasm>

Back