If not a 3500+?

Hawk

Gawd
Since I might not get the CPU i am hoping for for a complicated reason I was wondering is it worth getting a 3200+ or 3000+ and save that little bit of money. The 3500+ I hope I get is a Venice core and am hoping to OC with stock and maybe get a Thermaltake X90 and get it better :) So what's the best for a person who wants best bang for buck and I can't go further than 3500+ :(

3200+, its got the 10x multi and can usually be oc'ed to at least 2.4ghz without issues.

So if I got an XP-90 and added it o a 3200+ Venice I could get 3ghz! Holy moly! :eek: that's alot since 1 ghz more is kind of not normal right? I was think about 2.7 or something more for a 3500+ but I want feel bad getting this since all these reviews show nice results but power consumption is a yank :eek:

Ok, I had a 3200 Winchester at 2.4ghz. You can get Venice cores higher because they run cooler. So the 3200 is better. 3000's generally overclock just as well, but a lot of people like the 10x multiplier.

Now that I look at it, is it actually worth getting a 3500+ insteead of a 3200+ when both venice 939?

go for a retail 3200+. I bought one a while back for a spare PC - had no intentions of overclocking it... of course I had to try it though. Turns out to have the "Manchester" core, clocked up to 2.85 prime stable on two different boards. If I only had faster ram, I could run it at about 2.8. (otherwise I have to run my ram below 200mhz) Currently have it running 2.5ghz, undervolted -.075v, with a fanless scythe ninja. Best clocking cpu i've ever gotten and I didn't even plan on overclocking it. Goes to show that it's mostly luck.

So i've now set it in my plans to get a 3200+ Venice if I don't get the 3500+ Venice :) Turns out I'll save $100 (NZ of course because i live here not there :p) OC'ing is wonderful :D

Get whatever you need based on the multiplier and what your ram/motherboard can do IMO.

Hawk said:
So i've now set it in my plans to get a 3200+ Venice if I don't get the 3500+ Venice :) Turns out I'll save $100 (NZ of course because i live here not there :p) OC'ing is wonderful :D
Yes it is wonderful, but keep in mind that ANY cpu you buy no matter what other people tell you, may not overclock at all (or may not overclock very well). Always keep that in mind.

I shall keep in mind and want to get into OC'ing and this computer is brand spanking new and everything can handle it but the ram will need a touch up :( Or are 3-3-3-10 timings actually good for DDR400 ram? But I doubt they will OC very well. Would it be smart to wait about 1 month before OC'ing in case the CPU is faulty and voiding the warranty before you can tell if anythings faulty?

Timings with A64's arent nearly as much of an issue as the past, those are perfectly fine.

I got a 3500+ just to know that it will run at a guaranteed higher speed than the lower clocked chips...mine is sitting at 2550mhz on stock cooling :D

Ok, i'm not getting the 3500+ now but would it be better to pay the extra for the 3500+ when the 3200+ is cheaper? Please reply because I plan on buying tommorow and have lots of fun on the weekend :D

A store that's in my area isn't selling a venice but a dual core thing which only has 1 core activated? Is that getting more commen or should I go safe with Venice?

get the manchester, I have heard "freak accidents" over at XS where one core got unlocked.

When they use them as single core don't they fry off transistors so that's impossible by that logic :D

Got it and since I think i've done something stupid. You know theres a bit of a thermal dust thing which replaces the thermal paste. I ran my finger across it lightly and rub some off! I'm pretty sure it'll still work but will a 5mm circle of it off affect the temp because i'm not sure and don't want to risk anything!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i think you'll be fine, depending on how big your fingers are... maybe even out the smudged area a bit with neighboring paste.

I've just turned 15 so my fingers arn't that big :D I'll try that very carefully because i'm pretty sure it's thick enough. Now where's that windows cd so i can formart and reinstall windows <_> :D

I'm paying for this CPU so i'm not wanting to take unnesasary things :D

Just put it all together. Crossing fingers that it'll work!!

Yey it's working! I'm now installing BF2 after the drivers. Now i have to wait for my brother to come home because I hate networks :D No internet on the computer so far :( I also ran CPU-Z and found out that it is a Venice core luckely! The ram timings are 3-4-4-8 but one runs at 3-3-3-8 but the others slowing it down :( My HDD is very noisy and so are the CD-ROM drives. Are they always noisy or is that because the CD-ROM drives are so old?

Back