Ikea desk gallery

Yep, from an old stressless...

Gonna upload a new pic later, when i tidy up here...

Got my Galant today, time to setup through this weekend with a couple Ergotron arms, & borrow a camera :)

Here's mine. I need to organize my wires still.

setup_sized.jpg

Last edited:
Any one have an idea what bracket this is? The person has it on a Galant desktop as a printer stand, but I can't seem to find out what it is.

* Pic's removed, the shelving was from the effektiv desks that aren't sold anymore, and are shown in desk pictures further down.

Last edited:
I'm very interested too..I could use those are speaker stands to free up space on my galant

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ahh, thanks man! From the looks I think this just sort of rests on the top and is held in place via the U bends at the desk edge, correct?

You could always just pick up a Ekby Jarpen shelf [$15] and the Capita legs from Ikea [$10-14 for the 4 pack]. The shelf comes in a few finishes and can be cut to size. The legs also come in 4, 6, or 8 inches. Holes need to be drilled into the shelf for the legs, but it's easy. And then the shelf just rest on the desk. I have one on my desk supporting a 42" plasma...works like a charm

... Holes need to be drilled into the shelf for the legs, but it's easy. ...

Eh... I didn't bother drilling... I just screwed 'em in, lol.

edit: the capita legs come with self tapping screws, so if you use a drill or power screwdriver, it'll be easy.

Last edited:
You could always just pick up a Ekby Jarpen shelf [$15] and the Capita legs from Ikea [$10-14 for the 4 pack]. The shelf comes in a few finishes and can be cut to size. The legs also come in 4, 6, or 8 inches. Holes need to be drilled into the shelf for the legs, but it's easy. And then the shelf just rest on the desk. I have one on my desk supporting a 42" plasma...works like a charm

You mean like this? This is the 31 1/8 " shelf with 4" legs. I also used a drill to screw the legs in without pre-drilling a hole.

Ahh, thanks man! From the looks I think this just sort of rests on the top and is held in place via the U bends at the desk edge, correct?

Yep, I had mine on my Effektiv desk until recently, but I'm hanging on to it in case I reconfigure.

Very old, very messy desktop before I moved (2002):

desk.jpg

You mean like this? This is the 31 1/8 " shelf with 4" legs. I also used a drill to screw the legs in without pre-drilling a hole.

I did the same thing, no pre drilling required.... here is the same setup with 8" legs.

3500298188_deb688f857_o.jpg

I also did the same thing heh... I used these shelves though, little cheaper...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90104814

And I grabbed some shorter screws from home-depot... I got 4" legs w/ the 11" depth shelf for my 30" LCD, and a 6" legs with 14" depth shelf for my 42" plasma.

Matches the free Ikea Effecktiv desk, although the one for the plasma was out of stock so I got white.

I'll snap a pic when I clean it up a bit, I did put my legs closer to the middle than you guys, felt there was more weight and it would support it better. But who knows... not like I can't unscrew and move the legs.

I actually got in touch with the person selling the effektiv shelves from CL I was asking about today, and while they're slightly the wrong colour of birch I couldn't pass up (2) ! for $5 each. These are awesome on the galant! I don't know why they can't at least sell the brackets at ikea still, the hex screws to secure them underneath are great.

Anyway, I'm going to edit out the pics as they'll get closed soon anyway from CL, but thanks for the help in finding out more about them.

I also just noticed, we have the same keyboard in that picture 'the pawn'. Gotta love the 8 year old MS natural elites, I still use mine to this day.. just wish they would update it and keep the exact same spacing :D

Nice, good deal on the shelves there!

Yeah, that was probably the keyboard I used the longest. I actually had won it on some "if you're the first 50 people who reply to this" MS-OEM email years ago when I worked at a place that used to build PCs for businesses. These days I'm now using the Mac Pro aluminum keyboard, that while not ergonomic, has fantastic keyboard response.

My layout these days is over here: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034267004&postcount=595

Yep, I had mine on my Effektiv desk until recently, but I'm hanging on to it in case I reconfigure.

Very old, very messy desktop before I moved (2002):

desk.jpg

sorry for the OT, but whats the big poster on the left of? i don't recognize it :(

Purchased a Galant-Right off CL for $75 with the T-style legs...awesome desk. I did however, end up cutting about 4" off the back because it was a little to wide, but its perfect now.

Some pics:
IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Also, was given some nice Harnen & Karden speakers for free with a killer sub, but they were white, so I ended up taking them apart and spraying them satin black. Right now I'm still getting everything organized but so far the desk is looking great.

I plan to use a hole-saw to cut a hole in the back corner to organize the keyboard, mouse and monitor wires, while cleaning it up with those plasic inserts that can be purchased through Home Depot.

Last edited:
Purchased a Galant-Right off CL for $75 with the T-style legs...awesome desk. I did however, end up cutting about 4" off the back because it was a little to wide, but its perfect now.

Some pics:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x117/nodierno/Computer/IMG_0140.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x117/nodierno/Computer/IMG_0141.jpg

Also, was given some nice Harnen & Karden speakers for free with a killer sub, but they were white, so I ended up taking them apart and spraying them satin black. Right now I'm still getting everything organized but so far the desk is looking great.

I plan to use a hole-saw to cut a hole in the back corner to organize the keyboard, mouse and monitor wires, while cleaning it up with those plasic inserts that can be purchased through Home Depot.

Looks neat. Is that a UPS below the desk?

@myelin1, Looking good. Where did you get that lamp from?

@MrModesty: I'm a noob, which case is that?

My Galant desk updated with new stuff for 2009:

CoolerMaster HAF 922
Marantz SR8001 receiver
PSB B25 bookshelf speakers
SVS PB10-NSD subwoofer
Epson Workforce 600 multifunction
Dell 3008WFP 30" LCD
Combination desk lamp (fluorescent + incandescent)
Same messy cable jungle :p

I'm done spending money for 2009... except for the new MacBook Pro I ordered a few days ago. ;)

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know if they carry anything like that stand for the Galant? I'm going soon for a new desk, but haven't been able to find anything thus far on their site.
No, but I wish there was such a shelf for the Galant. A few people around [H]ere have built shelves like that for their Galant and Jerker desks.

No, but I wish there was such a shelf for the Galant. A few people around [H]ere have built shelves like that for their Galant and Jerker desks.

Actually, I'm fairly certain there's a triangular computer stand for the galant that goes in the back corner of the desk. I've never seen anyone use it, despite it being set up on several of the display models in my local Ikea. Doesn't really seem practical, considering how deep the desk is. I don't see it on their website, but I believe it sells for about $30 in the store. It might not be part of the Galant line, but I'm fairly certain it's made specifically for the Galant corner desks. I'll get the product name next time I'm over there.

However, yah. Loads of people buy small shelves and whatnot to make their own. There are a bunch of examples on this thread as well as on Ikeafans.

Yeah, I planned on building one if it came to that, but I figured something built by IKEA would be better than something I made myself. That corner one doesn't sound big enough for what I need, unfortunately, and I'll be getting a straight desk anyway.

Actually, I'm fairly certain there's a triangular computer stand for the galant that goes in the back corner of the desk. I've never seen anyone use it, despite it being set up on several of the display models in my local Ikea. Doesn't really seem practical, considering how deep the desk is. I don't see it on their website, but I believe it sells for about $30 in the store. It might not be part of the Galant line, but I'm fairly certain it's made specifically for the Galant corner desks. I'll get the product name next time I'm over there.

However, yah. Loads of people buy small shelves and whatnot to make their own. There are a bunch of examples on this thread as well as on Ikeafans.

If you can find an effektiv shelf unit, or brackets, they are awesome on the galant.

Just picked up my third Jerker desk. $20 from craigslist in the sought after Black wood with silver frame. Finally, the color I've been wanting.

It's currently stuffed in my car (95 Camry), with an Queen Size Ikea Malm bed frame as well. Don't ask how we got it all to fit because frankly, I don't know.

Back