Ikea Galant

Hello all. I'm thinking about ordering an Ikea Galant. Measurements are 47 1/4" L x 23 5/8"D. The price is $160 with the T-Legs. I also plan on buying Summera CPU holder and
Signum cable management (horizontal). Total cost is $242.80 (shipping is 38.92, and tax is $15.89). Btw, these items will ship via UPS. On the other hand, they want $168.28 to ship the smaller Fredrik through "in-home delivery company". Anyway, before I purchase the Galant I have some questions.

1. Is it worth the price for the desk and the 2 accessories mentioned above?
2. Is this desk and cpu holder sturdy enough to hold an antec 1200 tower?
3. does this desk shake easily?
4. Will I be able to use an LCD desk mount with this desk?

Thank you for your time and input.

You can find a lot of info/pics of Galant and Frederik desks in the Case Mod Gallery sub-forum of Cases & Case Modding forum above. Check the Ikea Desk Gallery and Post your Workstation threads.

As to your questions:

1. Shipping is brutal for these desks if there's not an IKEA store close enough to you. The desks make great PC workstations. I've got a big Galant setup and really like it a lot.
2. I just replaced my old case with an Antec 1200. I'm sure it would fit in the CPU shelf, but I prefer to keep my case on the floor.
3. My Galant is very stable and solid. No shakes at all.
4. Yes, an LCD arm will work fine on these desks. I had a 24" LCD mounted on an arm for almost a year before getting a 30" LCD. I don't know if I'd chance using an LCD arm with anything bigger than a 24" on the desk, though.

My thoughts since I own one.

1. As mentioned above, shipping is killer since this thing is pretty big and heavy. Not sure
what your budget is like, but I do love this desk.
2. It's plenty steady to hold a Antec 900, not sure what the 1200 dimensions/weight are
3. The desk does not shake easily. I do not think it could hold a person's weight on top of
it however.
4. I currently have a dual monitor arm with no problems.

If you do buy this, the cord organizer from IKEA is wonderful.

I own the above desk and accessories mentioned as well. I also have a frame and table top extension to make the desk fit the dimensions I want.

The desk is very sturdy and I do believe it could handle the weight of someone sitting on it, if you sit in the middle. The frame is very strong, and built out of metal, it can definitely support my weight (I am 6'4 and 248 lbs). The actual wooden surface is only secured to the desk via screws on the bottom. So if you sat on the edge of the wood (the part that does not have the frame directly underneath it) that would be a problem. It would probably tear the screws out of the wood surface. If you sat right in the center of the desk there would be no problem at all.

I had my Galant supporting a loaded P180 (with acoustic dampening material), a Dell 2407and my 40 inch LCD TV just fine.

I think it is definitely worth the price, as it is hard to find a stable, and modern looking desk. That shipping on the other hand is killer, you don't have an Ikea near you? I drove about 45 minutes to pick mine up.

Side note, have you checked craigslist for someone selling one locally? I see them for sale regulary in Michigan and actually found someone selling one 15 mintues from me and bought a second one for my dad's office.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to go for it. I don't have any problems with the shipping costs of the galant and accessories ($38 via UPS). It's the Fredrik that has the ridiculous shipping charge ($168). This will be my first Ikea product. Looking forward to it.

Just received my Galant desk yesterday. I didn't assemble it yet. However, I did take a look at all of the parts. I Bought the T-legs, CPU holder and signum wire management. I have to say that the metal looks and feels very sturdy. The table top looks very nice as well (black/brown) I also brought the Ergotron monitor arm too and am very satisfied with the quality of it too. Looks like I will be going for the Galant file cabinet too. Once again thank you gor your input. :D

I know you are probably going to kick yourself now but I found my Galant, with the T-Legs and end caps for $70 on my local craigslist. The girl had just moved into town and had bought it about 4 weeks before hand. The new room couldnt fit it so she needed to get rid of it. I cannot tell you how much I love this thing and I plan to get that CPU shelf and wire management cages as soon as I head to Sac (where the nearest IKEA is located).

Great desk with tons of capabilities.

Back