I'm a COMPLETE networking n00b, want to share DSL connection between 2 computers.

Lakitu

Limp Gawd
Alright, we plan on getting a 1.5Mbps DSL connection, stepping up from dialup, and we have 2 computers, mine and the family computer. We would want the internet connection to both of them, without alot of hassle, and I don't wanna have to rent equipment. What equipment would I need, would I need to set up any special settings on my computer to get it working? Would wired or wireless be a better decision? Please help me out!

buy a router and plug the modem into the input port and both of the pcs into the output ports...its as easy as that

So it's as simple as that, I don't need a switch or hub or any other thing?

Today's consumer class routers include a built-in 4 port switch. So no, you do not need a seperate switch.

Lakitu said:
So it's as simple as that, I don't need a switch or hub or any other thing?

Most routers (including the one I linked) have a built in 4 port switch...so, yes, the router is all you need...except 2 more network cables, as the router usually comes with one.

Don't I need to buy some kind of modem or something, that will convert the phone line from the DSL into the cable connection..? Where could I get one of them?

You just plug the phone line into the router, assuming you buy one meant for dsl. (I take that back, as long as you buy one with a built in ppoe modem.)

Ok, so pretty much here is the setup:
Phone line to DSL Modem
DSL modem to router
router to 2 computers

All with the necessary CAT5 cables, right?

Yeah I know I will have to buy the extra CAT5 cables. Thanks for the help guys.

Lakitu said:
Ok, so pretty much here is the setup:
Phone line to DSL Modem
DSL modem to router
router to 2 computers

All with the necessary CAT5 cables, right?

Correct-a-mundo ;)

If you're buying a DSL modem instead of paying the $3 a month rent or whatever for it, make sure you ask them what type of DSL modem to get. There are different formats(standards) of DSL.

If both comps are in the same room, that's fine to hard wire them. Here at home my comp is in a different room than hubby's. He's hard wired to the modem, I'm on wireless in another room with no probs except I regularly pick up unsecured networks in the hood. Make sure you secure yours. ;)

P.S. We went with all Motorola (modem, router, wireless card) and it's worked out well.

Make sure your DSL modem isn't a usb modem, only ethernet will be able to plug into the router.

oh my, wish i had such luck with my setup, i bought the freakin router and pluged in the right wires and i can't get it to work

What kind of software configuration is required? Is it really as simple plug and play?

And how do you forward ports for BT and games? And how do you configure the actual internet connection? Is there a way to interface with the router from one of the attached computers?

Most routers will ethier have a console port to configure (mainly see this on high-end / old stuff nowadays) One's most likely to get a router with a local web interface nowadays.

Back