I'm a n00b to water cooling, please help.

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Ok, the title says it all. I have NEVER used water before.... ever. I am a system builder but never touched water I have always been to scared to use it. Until now anyway.

Here is what I was looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835128015

Two good friends of mine bought ABS computers and they have this unit on them, they seem to work well, and seeing that it is in a kit, I think it will be a perfect first time thing for me. I want to keep it simple for now, just cooling my CPU then I may move on once I am comfortable with water cooling. What do you guys think?

Even Frozen CPU has the one I was looking at: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...oler_System_Universal_GH-WIU02.html?tl=g30c83

Is it a bad unit? The reason I was so interested in it was it looked kinda simple and ABS uses them. As far as "kits" go are there any better ones that I could look at?

This is the only other one that looked good to me: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...Internal_TEC_Water_Cooling_Kit.html?tl=g30c83

I think those are the ones that AlienWare uses now. Or is it still Koolance?

Generally kits are frowned upon in the w/cing communities be it for their performance, price, and/or components. You should also take into consideration why you want to go the water route in the first place. Are you looking for some good overclocking potential or just want a quieter PC? Most of the cheaper kits, including the one you are looking at, arent much better then high-end air.

For the best possible performance building a custom loop is the best choice. Personally I got into w/cing a few years ago and started off with a koolance exos2. While this was one of the better kits out there at the time I found myself swapping out almost every part on it trying to get temps similar to people who had custom loops. In the end I was kicking myself for not taking the time to do a little reading and research and buy some quality components and build it myself right the first time.

So if you are willing to go the custom route then give us your budget and what you want to cool and plenty of people will help you pick some good parts.

If you must have a kit then check out some of the kits Petra builds, www.petrastechshop.com, these are basically some of the better parts you would find in a custom loop anyway.

1) OCing a Quad core Conroe, I don't care about noise I'd be the guy using 2 120mm Delta fans on the rad.
2) $100 - 400.00 Maybe 5 if need be, I don't know how expensive this can get.
3) Build me a [H]ard loop.

My WCing setup (see sig, plus Maze 4 Low-Profile GPU block) cost me 400$ exchanged, taxed and shipped international from Petra's tech. I definately recommend asking people here to build you a loop then running that loop by Quoc from Petra's and he'll set you up good. That's what they do and they're good at it.

Otherwise, my best recommendation is dont cheap out on parts, take your time in understanding and then choosing and take your time installing. It's very straightforward but there are many little things to keep in mind.

Good luck!

To start off, answer these questions:

1) What do you want to cool? CPU, GPU, NB? If you're just doing WC for the Quad OC, this simplifies things a lot.
2) Do you want this system to be fully integrated inside your case or would you mind mounting the radiator(s) behind or on top of your case?
3) What case do you plan on WCing?
4) Have you taken a look at the "Post your watercooling" thread? If so, do you have any reference pics you would like to emulate?

Is it a bad unit? The reason I was so interested in it was it looked kinda simple and ABS uses them. As far as "kits" go are there any better ones that I could look at?

The problem with it isn't that it's a "kit" it's that it's a proprietary one. Proprietary kits performance often isn't better then high end air cooling. The real problem is that they are difficult to upgrade/expand (often times you can't), and even if you do the performance often tanks... you also risk destroying everything since all the parts are made to only work in that select configuration. So you run the risk of cracking a block, causing a leak, or corrosion. All of which can be catastrophic for your entire PC.

If you want a "kit" swiftech offers preconfigured kits made from their parts that don't suffer any of those issues, petras shop does the same. Neither of those will break the bank either.

As for ABS, just because a vendor uses a product doesn't make it good. ABS and Alienware aren't great examples of vendors with quality products.

My WCing setup (see sig, plus Maze 4 Low-Profile GPU block) cost me 400$ exchanged, taxed and shipped international from Petra's tech. I definately recommend asking people here to build you a loop then running that loop by Quoc from Petra's and he'll set you up good. That's what they do and they're good at it.

Otherwise, my best recommendation is dont cheap out on parts, take your time in understanding and then choosing and take your time installing. It's very straightforward but there are many little things to keep in mind.

Good luck!

To start off, answer these questions:

1) What do you want to cool? CPU, GPU, NB? If you're just doing WC for the Quad OC, this simplifies things a lot.
2) Do you want this system to be fully integrated inside your case or would you mind mounting the radiator(s) behind or on top of your case?
3) What case do you plan on WCing?
4) Have you taken a look at the "Post your watercooling" thread? If so, do you have any reference pics you would like to emulate?

1) Just the CPU. I want a modest - high OC with good temps so I can keep my PC on for long periods of time.

2) I would like it fully integrated, but if I have to go out side I won't mind.

3) I have not chosen a case yet, most likely a full tower Lian-Li ATX

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=103_204&products_id=539

If you're just cooling the CPU that does indeed simply things as oneil said. Also, you can easily fit up to a 3x120 rad in the top of that case if your willing to do a little modding. This size rad would also give you a little head room if you decide to add additional blocks to the loop later down the road. Here is some parts I would personally go with:

Pump: Laing DDC+ w/ Petra's Top or Laing D5
Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 or Swiftech MCR320
CPU Block: D-Tek Fuzion or Apogee GTX
Tubing: Masterkleer 7/16 (i like it because its cheap and gives a nice snug fit over 1/2 barbs)
Misc Stuff: T-Line of res, hose clamps, additive/biocide, and fans.

Before jumping in and buying things though I would browse the forum and do a little research first, reading the stickies and what not...

If you're just cooling the CPU that does indeed simply things as oneil said. Also, you can easily fit up to a 3x120 rad in the top of that case if your willing to do a little modding. This size rad would also give you a little head room if you decide to add additional blocks to the loop later down the road. Here is some parts I would personally go with:

Tubing: Masterkleer 7/16 (i like it because its cheap and gives a nice snug fit over 1/2 barbs)

Before jumping in and buying things though I would browse the forum and do a little research first, reading the stickies and what not...

I second his recommendation. However, I'd suggest the Fuzion over the GTX since he's newer and probably won't bow his GTX. In addition, the FuZion generally beats the GTX on C2D's.

OP, you can afford a top of the line, high performance build with your $400 budget.

Pretty much waht I was going to recommend, but if you're seriously planning on using Deltas, you might look at Thermochill HE 120.2 or 120.3 or Black Ice GTX Xtreme 2x120 or 120x3. Those are able to utilize the extra airflow from Deltas (assuming your ears can take it). If you want to save some cash ($50 or so), Black Ice Xtremes will also do the trick.

Stores to get this stuff from:
www.petrastechshop.com
www.dangerdenstore.com
www.swiftnets.com (click online store on the left)
Try and get most of your stuff from 1 or 2 stores to save money on shipping.

Besides the GPU from what I can see in the picks i could only make out he was using the Fuzion and a EK Multi-Res. I'm guessing the rad is a Thermochill mounted up top based on the screw spacing in the pics with the top grill.

That looks like a high performance build consisting of a variety of manufacturers including EK, D-Tek, and Thermochill.

He's got EK 8800 Full Cover GPU waterblocks, a D-Tek Fuzion for his CPU block, a Thermochill PA120.2 radiator, and a Swiftech (Laing) DDC pump.

This is pretty much as good as it gets for performance/bling.

Just grab the following.

MCP655 pump (or a DDC+ with a modded top for a bit extra performance... performance that, in your situation, you'd never notice)

Dtek Fuzion CPU block

Either a Swiftech MCR series rad, or a Thermochill radiator, go for a double at least, a triple if you can fit it.

A swiftech micro-res (if you want a res, if not, go with a T line)

Masterkleer Tubing and Yate-Loon fans.

Back