I'm confused! Not sure which 285 I actually received...

haste

Supreme [H]ardness
I just stepped up to a "vanilla" Evga GTX 285 from a 260 216. The box and part number both point to the vanilla GTX 285 card, but the card itself is clocked to "Superclocked" speeds by default.

Maybe this pic will help?

gtx285.jpg

I'm thinking this might be another customer's RMA'd card that was flashed to a superclocked and evga didnt take notice when they fixed it? Or they just didnt have any vanilla 285s available so they repackaged a superclocked? No clue what's going on here....

Not sure. I know my friend bought a GTX 260 which turned out to be a mis-packaged GTX 280 so it could be an accident like that.

You got the GTX285 SC as a replacement. Your GPU-Z specs match mine exactly except for the die size. Yours says 487mm². Mine says 470mm².

anyone think this could pose a problem if the need arises to RMA the card?

i dont want evga thinking that i modified it myself since it is labeled as a vanilla 285.

Doubt it. You can call EVGA and confirm but I'm sure it won't be a problem with RMA or otherwise. I think this sort of thing happens fairly often, too.

I RMA'ed a 285 SC and got back an SSC so I'm guessing it's relatively normal.

yeah i think some power supply makers do this too. if their stuff breaks theyll sometimes replace it with something better. only the good companies though.

its more of a way for EVGA to get rid of overstock items.. does the sticker on the card say its a vanilla gtx 285? or does it say its a gtx 285 SC? if its the later then you are perfectly fine.. just register the card..

Back