I'm new and i need some serious help getting a LCD.

AsukaoYl

n00b
This is the monitor i just got: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7894086&st=931bf&type=product&id=1149205183814

Now on paper and my simple knowledge this monitor looks good. Not to mention the design is nice. (Piano finish etc)

2ms
2000:1 contrast ratio
etc.

ok so i got home and set it up.

First thing i did was get in a counter-strike game to test it out.

To my surprise major ghosting and i mean major. The edges of walls even change colors and a good 2-3 centimeters of ghosting. The colors look weird but that might just be because i'm not used to a LCD (been with a CRT for ages)

There is also bleeding on the tops and bottoms. Now to my point. I need a monitor and i need two.

I need a 19'' Regular monitor (not wide screen) that has absolutely NO ghosting (AS good as CRT) and as high of a resolution as possible but I'm willing to compromise here.

The 2nd monitor i need has to be a wide screen but size doesn't matter (but i don't want to go crazy) Resolution must be top notch, and again cant stress this enough NO GHOSTING.

The most important thing right now is getting a Regular 19'' and after that ill worry about my wide screen. Iv tried doing research but i don't know what to look for considering i though i had the perfect monitor but it turned out shit.

I'm using both for gaming.

Oh and just out of curiosity, why did they stop making 19'' CRT's? Everything i find has this crappy low resolution or 17''. What ever happened to the 19'', 1600x, monitors?

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

Dont know if i cant bumb threads but its already down past the 1st page without a reply. I really need your guys help. :(

Asukao, unfortunately you may have just had a rude awakening to the confusing and misleading world of LCDs. There is a lot to be learned. One thing I've learned is that what manufacturers state in terms of response time often doesn't mean much.

The good news is that if you bought it from Best Buy you should be able to return it with no hassle. I know this because I've already done it myself. :)

The bad news is that you may not be satisfied with any LCDs you check out. All of them have at least some degree of blurring with fast moving images. Some people get bothered a lot by this, others don't.

The other thing, which you may have not thought about if you're using the monitor for gaming, is that pretty much all 19" LCDs are in fact 5:4 aspect ratio and not 4:3 like CRTs are. If your game isn't specifically designed for 5:4 aspect ratio, things will be stretched a little bit vertically on a 19" LCD.

with regards to 19" CRTs: you may find that independent computer stores in your area still have some in stock...doesn't hurt to call around and find out. I know one right down the street from where I live still has some for $150 each. independent retailers are also good in that they might let you come in and test out your computer with some of their floor model LCDs, if you do decide to return the samsung...anyway hope that helps.

Ben

Why do you want a non-widescreen so bad? Once you go widescreen you never go back.

They stopped making CRT's because Widescreen LCD's are the future.

From what I've seen from some of the in-depth tests, at other techy forums/websites, quoted ms figures can be out but HEAPS.

One test was on a mva panel with 8ms quoted - came out at 45ms on darker tones, dropping to 16 at mid tones, an 8 and lighter tones.

There's no real regulation controlling these manufacturer, just so long as it can get to 8 ms 'some time' it's ok to say it's an 8ms panel!

Why do you want a non-widescreen so bad? Once you go widescreen you never go back.

They stopped making CRT's because Widescreen LCD's are the future.

I need both, didnt ask why they stopped making CRT's, they still sell them in plenty places. What i asked was why they only sell 17'' or 20'' and not 19'' anymore.

Well so what monitors do you guys recommend. What are the LCD's they used in all those Crysis demos recently shown. It seemed like there was no ghosting on those. I would assume they will demo the game on the best.

I need the best simply put. Two monitors with no ghosting. I am returning this one but i dont know what to get. Iv been reading countless reviews, threads, and bullshit about LCD and cant get the facts straight. I need some personal feedback.

What do you guys think of this monitor. Has the resolution i want its 20'' but fuck it ill live with 1'' more.

http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35388/?spage=1

I just wish the guy took a picture of him moving the mouse around.

Well, there's a lie in that review there straight away - the 204b is a TN panel, 16.2 million colours dithered, not 16.7 million full.

Back