I'm Sad

drewb99

Gawd
See sig :(

And it'l stay this way until a replacement K8V Deluxe comes my way, a crap new revision with different ethernet and onboard audio.

Until then, though, my fancy new 1996 hotness needs some fixing, the school I got it from put a program on it that reverts the system to a preset state every time it boots. Quite annoying to have to leave the thing running for weeks at a time, especially on Win 98 SE. To uninstall it needs a password, which it shares with the BIOS. The problem is that the HOT-553 doesn't seem to have a jumper for resetting the CMOS or a visible BIOS battery anywhere, and everything I do to uninstall the program the old fashioned way (regedits, deleting the directory, msconfig) doesn't work because it uses some hack to make windows think that its directory doesn't exist until the program's run. Help would be appreciated, I'm going into week 2 and Firebird's stopped starting up and IE's turning funky colors on me.

do you know the name of the program? I'd need more info mate (in the meantime try to check the running processes and kill everything suspecious)

go to start menu -> run -> type: msconfig then go in the startup tab. uncheck everything and save and check carefully the SERVICES in msconfig also. if you can find that program

Well, I'm not sure what exactly you want to do with it, if just fix it or format it and start over, but the latter is probably easy since you don't have to get into windows to do it.

As for the board's CMOS, Shuttle has old manuals for their motherboards up for download, yet I didn't see your board. Saw plenty of other HOT-xxx models, but not 553. Closest I saw was a 557, but maybe that should help you enough. Many boards don't have actual clear CMOS jumpers, but contacts that you can short with a piece of metal (screwdriver works fine), maybe look for those instead if you haven't.

Anyway, good luck.

Hehe turbo buttons were fun. "click" Slow..."click" fast.."click" Slow

Kinda reminds me of a mullet in a weird 90's way.

Back