I'm sure this will inflame many but....

I can see this being a problem with people who already bought 5000 series cards and are still using XP.

I'd quickly demand my money back if I were one of them.

Would be disappointed if I still had my X1800XT.

The Vista drivers probably work fine though.

I dont see why people should be mad. It says they can use vista drivers. Plus, the "only directx9 cards" are dropped from support. If you card does directx 9, 10, or 11. You are fine.

Doesnt make me mad at all.

I can see this being a problem with people who already bought 5000 series cards and are still using XP.

What does this have to do with XP? articles says dropped support for direct 9 only cards in Windows 7..And yes..I'm sure your 770's will continue to get support under windows 7 being they are dx10.

A) What does this have to do with 5000 series cards
B) What does this have to do with XP

Doesn't make me mad at all - AMD is on it's 4th generation of DX10 cards (2x00, 3xx0, 4xx0, 5xx0?). Can't fault them for dropping DX9 support in Windows 7, and the Vista drivers still work so it's not like you have to buy a new card to use it in Win7.

meh. not a big deal, and whats it cost to upgrade to a low-end DX 10 card now? $30?

A) What does this have to do with 5000 series cards
B) What does this have to do with XP

My understanding is that XP uses DirectX9.
So if a person bought a HD5000 series card with DirectX11 wouldn't the person have problems running it on XP because ATI will not support DirectX9?

My understanding is that XP uses DirectX9.
So if a person bought a HD5000 series card with DirectX11 wouldn't the person have problems running it on XP because ATI will not support DirectX9?

It specifically says Windows 7 and directx 9 cards, not directx 9 in general.

According to AMD's support site, its DirectX 9 cards won’t be officially supported under Windows 7.

a 5000 card isn't a dx 9 card, and Windows 7 isn't Windows XP.

EDIT: Aka, cards older than a HD 2000 won't be supported in Windows 7.

So ATI will support a HD5000 card in DirectX9 mode on Windows XP?

So ATI will support a HD5000 card in DirectX9 mode on Windows XP?

Yes. DX9 support isn't going anywhere, only the cards listed on that page (which are DX9 ONLY cards) will not officially receive any more driver updates in Win7.

did I read that wrong or is are they saying that they don't have the same level of support?

"limited to WDDM 1.0 level support" talking about vista. Either way I can't say I blame them, hell my SB card still doesn't work completely in vista (I really don't miss my game port though)

did I read that wrong or is are they saying that they don't have the same level of support?

"limited to WDDM 1.0 level support" talking about vista. Either way I can't say I blame them, hell my SB card still doesn't work completely in vista (I really don't miss my game port though)

The Vista driver is WDDM 1.0, thus under Win7 it will be running in WDDM 1.0 mode. The cards also do not physically support the WDDM 1.1 features, being that they are limited to DX9. Again, this is only for the cads listed on that page.

I think droping x1800 and x1900 series driver support is a bit far but the rest are too old to matter. A x1900xtx is still a decent card for gaming and it would suck if you could not play a newer game because it needed driver support or if you had bugs in a new game with old drivers but were out of luck now.

Basically all the console ports run decent on x1900 series and you have no more driver support for them now :[

Sooner or later you just have to let it go.

If you still use XP, you have legacy drivers.
If you use Vista you have what is there now = 9.8
If you use W7 you are SOOL I guess.

Upgrading is good.:D

Funny, if this was Nvidia, people would be freaking out and saying how they should be supporting the low-end market more. In fact, I bet you could literally just change AMD to Nvidia in one week, repost the article, and see people crying.

I think droping x1800 and x1900 series driver support is a bit far but the rest are too old to matter. A x1900xtx is still a decent card for gaming and it would suck if you could not play a newer game because it needed driver support or if you had bugs in a new game with old drivers but were out of luck now.

Basically all the console ports run decent on x1900 series and you have no more driver support for them now :[

"No more driver support".....what the hell....you can still use Cat 9.8, not to mention, the Vista drivers will probably work just fine.

the x1900 came out 4 years ago. So did the Pentium D and 7800GTX. So I'm really sorry that your Pentium D + X1900 setup won't be getting updated drivers. If you want, you can switch to a 7800GTX in order to get updated drivers.

FFS.

This story gets a big meh from me.

If you want something to run console ports or old games, but you also want updated drivers, maybe you could mow two of your neighbors lawns and buy a $40 9600gso or HD4650

I agree, not supporting the X1900 series is a bad move IMO..

what would be nice is at least 1 or 2 Windows 7 drivers and then drop support. Being able to use vista drivers will be fine but have an "official" windows 7 driver woudl also be nice.

Long story short....

1XXX users are going to miss out on the tiny 2-5% performance increases we get patched in to new games. When you are already using a 4 generation old card though, you should already have low standards and a couple percent isn't going to hurt you.

this is ridunkulous!!!!

DX11 is so 2009, it's time for DX20@$50 a piece =).

giga is so 2009, it's time for tera and peta and zetahertz =). technology moves way 2slowly. Windows 10 128-bit here we come!!!!

quantum CPUs, transporters, time travel ftw =)

Don't see any problem with this at all.

Most people who get Windows 7, will do so together with a new computer. A new computer will hardly use a X1xxx or older ATI card.

Well if your gaming in dx 9 with xp and your happy with it so be it..IM all on dx 11 and not looking back but can still play older games on my new ATI 5870 tyvm :D..why are you loosers holding teh rest of the pc world back? upgrade upgrade upgrade

Good I'm glad AMD put DX9 only cards in the legacy category. It's the right decision to no longer support ancient tech. Feel bad for people who can't afford to upgrade but realistically there are plenty of 4000 series cards that are quite inexpensive. Keep up the good work AMD. :D

That's bad news for me. My X1950 card is still perfectly usable for 1280x1024 gaming. I guess I'll have to swap it into a XP machine for programs that won't work on 7.

That's bad news for me. My X1950 card is still perfectly usable for 1280x1024 gaming. I guess I'll have to swap it into a XP machine for programs that won't work on 7.

Programs should work under Win7, just use Cat 9.8 Vista driver in it, you just won't receive anymore driver updates beyond that.

nVidia made a similar decision with regards to their motherboard chipsets when Vista was released. But in their case, they decided to only support the newest two generations. IIRC, nForce 4 & 5 were supported, but nForce 3 was dropped. I ended up having to leave XP on that particular machine.

So, from that perspective, ATI's committment to supporting 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, and 5xxx series GPUs on Win7 sounds reasonable. If you're still running a 1xxx series card, it's time to spend the $40 it takes to upgrade.

Actually for mobile users this is a big deal. Quite a few VERY recent mobile chips are DX9 only. Now it's not like AMD even knows how to write mobile drivers, but this is the secret gotcha in buying AMD stuff. The driver support is short and even when it exists, it's worse than the other side.

I have a 7800 series and it runs Aero wonderful in Windows 7 and it's still supported. Shame on AMD for basically cutting corners in cost yet claiming to have the latest and greatest.

Vista never sold well so you can expect support for that to dwindle in the next year as well. Mobile chips can't be just "replaced" without a huge cost as we all know. And even the concept of forcing people to upgrade their cards is a bit heavy handed on AMD's part even if the cost is generally small. In these times $50 is harder to come by then it used to.

It's a cost cutting issue, and shows how little respect AMD has for the money you originally spent with them. When this kind of thing happened with Vista and Creative sound products people jumped up and down. AMD should get the same kind of treatment. Think twice before buying that nice new video card, because you don't know how many years till DX12 and 10.1 gets dropped by AMD. If MS is any judge it won't be very long.

Stern pre-HD2k owners, AGP in 2009 defenders, Socket 939 proclaimers.

Get with the times you lot :)

e: Laptops with older chips is a problem, but as said earlier, use vista drivers, problem solved.

I can understand it for the 9x00 series and maybe the X800's, those cards are ancient by today's standards... Even I upgraded from the X800XT about 1.5 years ago.

But the X1900 is still a decent card that can run most new games just fine, especially the countless console ports that make their way to the PC. I think the X1800/1900 deserved to hang in for another year or so.

Where have some of you people been?

ATI dropped support for DX9 only cards in all operating systems including XP.

ATI stopped supporting the DX9 cards after the 9.3 Cats. They did say at that time that they would/might do QUARTERLY updates for the DX9 cards if it was necessary. They haven't done quartely updates, but they did release an update with the 9.8 drivers.

Just go to the ATI site and look for XP drivers for the X1950 and it will direct you to the 9.8 legacy ones.

ATI's release on this:
The upcoming release of ATI Catalyst 9.3 will be the last driver to provide a monthly driver update for graphics products predating the R6xx series. What that means is all R300, R400 and R500 series products will be moved to legacy support status - meaning they will be removed from the core Catalyst update and QA testing will be reduced. Moving forward, these products will receive critical fixes if needed as well as updates on a quarterly schedule rather than the monthly schedule adhered to for current products.

Legacy support status is typically reserved for non-current products that have reached a point at which existing drivers optimize performance of the graphics product in question and further driver updates will yield little to no performance improvement. We continue to support non-current products well after drivers have reached this optimal state in order to ensure support for new applications and games.

By moving pre6xx products to legacy support status, we will be able to focus more of our software engineering resources on current and future products, operating systems and applications.

The following is a complete list of products moving to legacy support status:

ATI Radeon 9500 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon X1050 Series
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
ATI Radeon X1200
ATI Radeon X1250
ATI Radeon X2100 Series
ATI FireGL X1-128
ATI FireGL X1-256
ATI FireGL X2-256
ATI FireGL X2-256t
ATI FireGL X3-256
ATI FireGL Z1
ATI FireGL V3100
ATI FireGL V3200
ATI FireGL V3250
ATI FireGL V3300
ATI FireGL V3350
ATI FireGL V3400
ATI FireGL V5000
ATI FireGL V5100
ATI FireGL V5200
ATI FireGL V7100
ATI FireGL V7200
ATI FireGL V7300
ATI FireGL V7350
ATI FireMV 2200
ATI FireMV 2250

As long as they make this clear on the packaging that they are doing this... otherwise there is going to be a big issue. I certainly understand why you cannot rollout fresh drivers for every series video card you have ever produced. What they should do then is open source them.. so if someone wanted/needed legacy there was still an option.

I bet if Nvidia decided to cut support for the 6-7 series for windows 7 the ATi fans would be all over this shit, but when its their own chip maker, "well this not a problem at all, you all should upgrade anyways, ATi cards are inexpensive" bla bla bla.

I have an x1950pro for a backup card, its kind of a meh card but if I needed it to, it would play some "basic" DX9 games which I would play anyways and would be able to play on this card like CSS or TF2 or FEAR or maybe UT2004 or even CoD4 (maybe not at the highest of settings, but playable). Now I don't know the specifics of "no driver support means", everyone is just saying use vista 9.8 drivers. but this card is by no means ancient, now I doubt any "improvements" for these cards have been added in 2 years, but still, I think its a bit of a run around especially for people who cant figure out, okay I have a x1900 card, I have windows 7, but there is no "driver" available on the ATi site for this card, you have to dick around and use a "vista driver" for windows 7, thats something not everyone is going to be able to figure out.

they should produce one windows 7 catalyst release which supports these cards, then cut support, so if I have an x1950 or something and want drivers off their website, it just defaults this one driver they made.

I guess people who setup media center PCs using the X800AIW are stuck.

Another comment I didn't care for is the one that said the x1800 came out 4 years ago. Yes, but when was it no longer being sold? That is probably the better time to gauge whether support was for a long enough time. Support should be measured from the date of the last sale of a product, not the first date. Make sense?

As usual, the tech merry go round casts out something costly and still functional (bought my x800xl aiw for 350 a while back) and now I have to worry about odd support in W7. I just hate having to dump a good computer that has nothing wrong with it because vendors have grown tired of allowing me to get a return on something I bought and paid good $$ for. This is why I got out of PC gaming for the most part, and to be honest, I don't care much anymore. Some people are more than happy to keep dumping $$ into that hobby, and that is fine because I also did that. However, look at where PC gaming is these days as compared to days of yore. It does not seem to be a growing market. My only regret is that peripheral support on consoles blows. KBD/Mouse support would be nice (do ya hear me, MS?). Anyway, total gaming for me has dwindled quite a bit the last 3 years.

I am more bothered by them slicing off yet more of their laptop chipsets that are still being produced than anything.

Back